• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Unregistered Vehicles in VA

This is a discussion on Unregistered Vehicles in VA within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; Good morning guys, Just a quick question. If I have an unregistered car on my private property that is not in run down condition and ...

Old 07-30-2010, 06:27 AM   #1
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 35615
Unregistered Vehicles in VA

Good morning guys,
Just a quick question. If I have an unregistered car on my private property that is not in run down condition and is parked in a driveway can I be ticketed? The tags have expired and I am not in the position to renew yet. (Bought a sub compact instead..lol) My question is, is this illegal in VA? Can I get a ticket for having this expired car on my PRIVATE PROPERTY? It is NOT on the street and is actually more than 10 feet from the street up by the house.

Online all I can find is vague answers that say I should be good but I really want to know 100%.

Thanks for your help guys. Anyone in local law-enforcement that could chime in would be great..

- George Washington
XD-Generate is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-30-2010, 06:40 AM   #2
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 38192
I don't know about VA but I did receive a citation from the code enforcement folks for an expired vehicle in my driveway. I had to either get it registered or make it disappear. If your inside the city limits then you will most likely face the same thing. If your in the country you can build a wall with them and no one can say ****.

(Thanks, Huey Lewis)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
tom_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:16 AM   #3
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 18081
I would be worried, the government wants its money! My wife got 2 tickets in one day here in VA for an expired saftey inspection sticker. They stopped her twice in an hour, how the hell was she supposed to have time to get it inspected in that amount of time! Plus they want their property tax for that car if it is parked in VA. That's right folks who don't live in VA, we have to pay property tax on our cars EVERY year, it's about $300 for a $18,000 car and then goes up exponentially to like $1,400 for a $50,000 car. EVERY YEAR!

In Toledo, OH a few years back they passed a law saying you could not park a car on any unpaved surface. The city then went around to neighborhoods with gravel driveways and towed their cars off their private property.

That's government for you, always here to help!
Old 07-30-2010, 07:21 AM   #4
XDTalk 3K Member

Thanks guys. I have been looking on google and see items on both sides of the fence. Damn the system.

- George Washington
Old 07-30-2010, 07:22 AM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 47577
Virginia has its laws online. Check out this link to see if it answers your question: LIS > Search > Code of Virginia.

“When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
- Ronald Reagan

"Duty is ours, consequences are God's"
- Stonewall Jackson
Old Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:24 AM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 35980
Hey, I lived in Va Beach for 12 years. I restore old classics. The worse problem you could have is if you have a Home owners assc. Either way, buy a car cover for it. Then no one will ever know it doesnt have plates on it. But do make sure you turn the plates into the DMV if you drop insurance on the vehicle.
72SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:31 AM   #7
XDTalk 3K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72SS View Post
Hey, I lived in Va Beach for 12 years. I restore old classics. The worse problem you could have is if you have a Home owners assc. Either way, buy a car cover for it. Then no one will ever know it doesnt have plates on it. But do make sure you turn the plates into the DMV if you drop insurance on the vehicle.
Thanks bud.

- George Washington
Old 07-30-2010, 07:37 AM   #8
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 38362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Hunter View Post
I would be worried, the government wants its money! My wife got 2 tickets in one day here in VA for an expired saftey inspection sticker. They stopped her twice in an hour, how the hell was she supposed to have time to get it inspected in that amount of time! Plus they want their property tax for that car if it is parked in VA. That's right folks who don't live in VA, we have to pay property tax on our cars EVERY year, it's about $300 for a $18,000 car and then goes up exponentially to like $1,400 for a $50,000 car. EVERY YEAR!

In Toledo, OH a few years back they passed a law saying you could not park a car on any unpaved surface. The city then went around to neighborhoods with gravel driveways and towed their cars off their private property.

That's government for you, always here to help!

Wait, let me guess... Those places are ruled (governed?) by Democrats! Right?

Tactical black cat - sleeps in doorways

A right unused become a privilege for the ruling class.

john_bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:12 AM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 41197
don't just check the state law, check your city or county ordinance
an unregistered vehicle might fall under a local blight ordinance
mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:14 AM   #10
ADA
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 28660
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_bud View Post
Wait, let me guess... Those places are ruled (governed?) by Democrats! Right?
Well, the governor of Virginia is a Republican and although the current Ohio governor is a Dem the three previous ones were Republicans. So I would say wrong.
"The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.'" -Ken Konecki
ADA is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page
can an unregistered car be towed from private property in va
can you park an unregistered car on street in norfolk

driving a unregistered vehicle in va

driving of unregistered or unlicensed vehicle in virginia
driving unregistered car virginia

fine for driving unregistered vehicle in va

how to unregister a car in virginia

is it illegal to park an unregistered car in my driveway in virginia beach

laws on unregistered vehicle in virginia

norfolk virgina unregestred vehicle in driveway
penalities for unregistered vehicle in va

penalty for driving unregistered vehicle in virginia

unlicensed vehicles on private property virginia

unregister a car in virginia

unregistered vehicle in yard va beach
virginia beach unregistered car
Click on a term to search for related topics.