• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

.45 handgun kills a bear

This is a discussion on .45 handgun kills a bear within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; Arguement solved, it may not be the ideal gun but it happened. FOXNews.com - Backpackper Shoots, Kills Grizzly in Alaska Park Backpackper Shoots, Kills Grizzly ...

Old 06-10-2010, 04:14 PM   #1
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 18081
.45 handgun kills a bear

Arguement solved, it may not be the ideal gun but it happened.

FOXNews.com - Backpackper Shoots, Kills Grizzly in Alaska Park

Backpackper Shoots, Kills Grizzly in Alaska Park
Published May 31, 2010 | Associated Press

ANCHORAGE, Alaska -- Officials say a backpacker shot and killed a grizzly bear with his handgun in Alaska's Denali National Park.
Remove Ads
Old 06-10-2010, 04:20 PM   #2
AKC
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 41665
Repost. We covered this a couple weeks ago somewhere. I think the guy got lucky though. I would be more comfortable with an XD .45 with a .460 rowland conversion kit.
AKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:24 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 19576
The guy was lucky the bear did not want to fight prior to dieing. Since it had time to walk away into the woods that means it had time to kill the guy if it had wanted too.

I like the .45acp round, but it is low on my list of woods calibers.
.45fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:37 PM   #4
AKC
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 41665
^^^ For real! Why chance it!
AKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:13 PM   #5
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 26668
I could have done it with a .380.........:rolley es:

Sorry, but after the last one on this topic...SOMEONE had to do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Bultx1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:36 PM   #6
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 25552
You have to do what you have to do. However, if I knew I was in active bear country I would prefer a .454 to a .500 in handgun. A nice backup would be a 12 guage loaded with slugs as well. Bear's are like landsharks, and don't usually go down easily. This guy got really really lucky.
But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. All we like sheep have gone astray, we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

KingArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:48 PM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 45695
One time I got a straightline shot and killed a grizzly and a wolf who were fighting one another with a single .22 bullet from a remington bolt action single shot. To my surprise the bullet took both of them out and hit a mountain lion that was taking a leak behind them. Long story short enough rounds will kill anything if you are lucky, however to quote an old saying "Some days you get the Bar (bear) and some days the Bar (bear) gets you."
Old 06-10-2010, 07:18 PM   #8
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 15076
"Fister says the man fired nine rounds from his .45 caliber, semiautomatic pistol at the animal, which then stopped and walked into the brush."

He got damn lucky that he was able to get nine shots off, had the bear decided to charge and attack he would have been up the proverbial creek without the paddle

Again, he got damn lucky, IMHO, bear min (pun intended) would be a hot hard cast 44 mag or preferably a 454
Old 06-11-2010, 02:34 AM   #9
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 17412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattooed Bard View Post
"Fister says the man fired nine rounds from his .45 caliber, semiautomatic pistol at the animal, which then stopped and walked into the brush."

He got damn lucky that he was able to get nine shots off, had the bear decided to charge and attack he would have been up the proverbial creek without the paddle

Again, he got damn lucky, IMHO, bear min (pun intended) would be a hot hard cast 44 mag or preferably a 454
Give me a pocket-knife and a 5th of beam and I'll fight a grizzly off....

At least until he tears my limbs off and eats me.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:48 AM   #10
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 39037
"....45acp round, but it is low on my list of woods calibers. "

WHERE IN GOD'S HOLY NAME ARE YOU WALKING AROUND!?!?!?

.45 ACP for the mountains of VA are good enough for basic animal/two-legged protection.

Man! I ain't sayin' go HUNTING with it, but for general purposes, it's better than a slingshot with ball bearings!
Reverenddel is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page
.45 kill a bear
460 rowland grizzly bear
can .45 kill a bear

can a .45 kill a bear

can a 45 acp kill a bear

can a 45 kill a bear

can you kill a bear with a 45. handgun
will 45 acp kill a bear
will 460 rowland kill grizzly bear
will a .45 handgun kill a bear
will a .45 kill a bear

will a 45 acp kill a bear

will a 45 caliber kill a bear
will a 45 kill a bear
will a 45 pistol kill a bear
will a xd 45 kill a bear
Click on a term to search for related topics.