• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Airsoft for Kids

This is a discussion on Airsoft for Kids within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; I'm clueless about airsoft, but would like to get one for my 5 year old daughter as a starting point to begin easing her into ...

Old 05-29-2010, 12:54 PM   #1
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 12109
Airsoft for Kids

I'm clueless about airsoft, but would like to get one for my 5 year old daughter as a starting point to begin easing her into firearms and firearms safety.

She knows I have guns, and since she was brought home from the hospital I have always had a pellet gun near the back door, for taking care of the pigeons. She knows not to touch it unless myself or her mother are around.

Anyways, my thinking is along these lines: get her an airsoft to begin getting her used to shooting and being safe. Then move her up to a BB gun when she has shown the proper respect and knowledge with the airsoft, after the BB gun move her into a Cricket .22 or something along those lines.

I'd like to start her out on this fairly soon as we will have our annual family camping trip in the next couple months, and figured she would have fun with the airsoft. She has begun showing interest in shooting, and has even built a contraption in the back yard that she claims is her zombie gun, which is cute.

Anyone have pointers on an airsoft that would be appropriate in size/power for a youngster? Am possibly I trying to start her out too early?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you guys may have.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps."
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Ajcrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-29-2010, 01:55 PM   #2
XDTalk Member

Member #: 45885
Might I suggest skipping the Airsoft thing completely?

I was at the park yesterday with my wife and 3 kids (5, 4, 2 years) and a small group of 12ish - 14ish boys were having their own mini-battle there with these things.

Airsoft guns are built for these types of battles. I think that goes against everything I believe about gun safety. Guns are not to be pointed at people unless you plan to shoot and kill that person. They are not toys and they are not for games.

The one exception that I make is water guns which are obviously just portable hoses. A supersoaker doesn't look anything like a real gun.

I know it seems like a hard-@$$ thing to do, but there are zero toy guns in my house. I open carry around my home, at stores, everywhere except church. My kids know that guns are dangerous and they know what they are for. There is no confusion being sowed in my house.

If you want to go with firearms training you can step right into an air gun or a .22. They do both for kids as young as 4 at my local shooting club. Air guns in the winter, .22 in the summer.

There's a big chance you'll go your own way on this, so if you choose to get an airsoft gun, go with an airsoft sniper rifle because they are usually single-shot, have a descent quality scope, and can be used to teach the major fundamentals. Trigger control, breath control, shooting positions, bone support, muscle relaxation. All the basics that everyone should know shooting a rifle before they start shooting handguns.
The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:39 PM   #3
AKC
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 41665
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Expert View Post
Might I suggest skipping the Airsoft thing completely?

I was at the park yesterday with my wife and 3 kids (5, 4, 2 years) and a small group of 12ish - 14ish boys were having their own mini-battle there with these things.

Airsoft guns are built for these types of battles. I think that goes against everything I believe about gun safety. Guns are not to be pointed at people unless you plan to shoot and kill that person. They are not toys and they are not for games.

The one exception that I make is water guns which are obviously just portable hoses. A supersoaker doesn't look anything like a real gun.

I know it seems like a hard-@$$ thing to do, but there are zero toy guns in my house. I open carry around my home, at stores, everywhere except church. My kids know that guns are dangerous and they know what they are for. There is no confusion being sowed in my house.

If you want to go with firearms training you can step right into an air gun or a .22. They do both for kids as young as 4 at my local shooting club. Air guns in the winter, .22 in the summer.

There's a big chance you'll go your own way on this, so if you choose to get an airsoft gun, go with an airsoft sniper rifle because they are usually single-shot, have a descent quality scope, and can be used to teach the major fundamentals. Trigger control, breath control, shooting positions, bone support, muscle relaxation. All the basics that everyone should know shooting a rifle before they start shooting handguns.

Ok so are you not going to allow them to play video games that involve using fierarms for killing ever? As they get older of course.

There are going to be some here who will argue the exact opposite of you. Airsoft guns can be a good training tool and teach fundementals of gun safety. You don't have to have airsoft wars. They can be used for target practice and are safer than using BB or pellet guns.
AKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:56 PM   #4
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 20695
Airsoft is a fantastic training tool for kids and adults alike. It also makes a terrific hobby with great exercise benefits. Just wear eye protection incase the BBs come back to visit. I play as part of Airsoft Club here in Spokane and in addition to our monthly battles we also have an OpFor team used by local police and the collegiate ROTC units for training.

Are you looking for a rifle or pistol style airsoft gun for her?

Expert, you are being too much of a hard-a$$. I will assume that you will never let your kids play paintball or firearm based video games either? It falls on you, the parent, to help them differentiate between real firearms and how they are to be treated and handled and proper use of airsoft weapons as training tools and the toys that they are.

Your Neighborhood Friendly Car Salesman
Vandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 03:05 PM   #5
AKC
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 41665
^^^^ Agreed, I play airsoft wars with my son and step son.
AKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 04:23 PM   #6
Old Timer

Member #: 42039
well just my opinion as well.

I would skip the airsoft & the BB-gun & go to teaching with the above mentioned 22 lr.

The difference being we are talking about training a 5- year old proper gun etiquette, safety practices.
Where they should always be in your supervision, at this point.
A good single shot accomplishes knowing the chamber is clear & no ND's. I would even go as far as using a lever action, to having a hammer to glance at, at will.

I agree somewhat with the expert, a child should be taught that all firearms are potentially dangerous.
Later on if they can prove safely demonstrating handling skills let her have a BB-gun. or when she gets older, have an airsoft for whatever.

IMHO a youngster with a BB-gun is more likely to cause some sort of serious injury to someone/something , than a well trained youth with a single shot 22lr.

discipline first, recreation later.

good luck
Old 05-29-2010, 05:23 PM   #7
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 12109
Good points on all counts.

I'm considering a Walther p22 airsoft for her. Mainly because of her size, she is a very small girl. Heck, even my 2 1/2 year old daughter is nearly as big as my 5 yo. So I was thinking of the smallest possible airsoft to suit her build.

In my opinion an airsoft would be the safest possible way to teach the fundamentals, safety, and gun etiquette. It would not be used for (by her anyways) airsoft battles.

I would instill in her that the airsoft, BB gun, and eventually a .22 should all be treated pretty much the same; and I'm sure I could get across to her the advancing levels of potential danger with each step up. She would not be allowed to use any of them without myself or my wife being present; and would be stored in my safe along with all other guns (excluding the pellet rifle mentioned).
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps."
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Ajcrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:06 PM   #8
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 21946
My son is 4 and he shoots with an Airsoft gun. I started when he was three, by using the Eddie Eagle video. After watching it so many times I can't stand it (he loves and has watched it about 50 times), he's got the EE rules memorized. I then taught him the household rule - guns are not toys and then added the basics - don't point a gun at anyone and never put your finger on the trigger (I'll work on the other two rules when he has better critical thinking skills).

Then I brought out the Airsoft gun and one of my pistols. I explained that HIS gun has an orange tip and my guns don't. Then I let him shoot the Airsoft. He loves it and has to repeat all the rules before we shoot every time. He also knows that his guns shoot BBs and my guns shoot bullets and knows the difference.

As for the neighbor kids using Airsoft for BB wars, that's going to happen eventually no matter what you do. Around here anyway, I'm not seeing any of the kids using the realistic looking Airsoft guns - most have the clear plastic versions you buy at Walmart. By the time he's old enough to join them, he'll have the basics down and will be able to use critical thinking to discern the difference. We did it with our Red Ryders when I was a kid. My view is that you lay the groundwork and work on teaching critical thinking skills. When he develops, he'll be able to make the right decisions about things.
Rusty Shackelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:10 PM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 37603
I was around 13 when I got my own first gun(mossberg 20g) and then all my friends got into paintball. I asked if I could get one and the answer I got was, if you get a paintball gun we will take away your shot gun. This was from my mom/step dad, well I then asked my real dad and he took me to go get a paintball gun and I just kept it at his house.

I was plenty old enough to know the difference between paintball and real gun.

I dont have kids, but Personally I think you should wait until you can get her a 22 as mentioned above. Wait until shes old enough to get her into airsoft when she can know the difference. I use to have a airsoft gun and it is a great tool, but I think 5 is too young.
cchevyboy1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 08:33 PM   #10
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 27336
Air soft is fine. Since it will make holes in paper target, usually looks and feels like a 'real' gun - just treat exactly the same. Only comes out with supervision and at designated places set aside as range areas. I was started with a single shot 22cal Crosman CO2 pistol at around 5 yrs old. There were no airsoft or much else other than a pump daisy BB around back then. Had about a 15 ft 'range' that could be setup in the basement. A low bench, some directed lights and a cardboard box filled with old quilts. Part of the deal was I had to pick out all the re-usable lead balls from the target box. Good for anytime even rainy day shooting. Less distractions than outside shooting and never any 'helpful' neighbor input to contend with. Considering a 5yr old's attention span, probably 15-20 minutes at any one time is plenty.
I would look for a model that can be easily loaded as a single shot. Either rifle or pistol. PyramidAir.com is running a Memorial sale now. Or at least check the reviews of the models. Even if often written by kids, you can pick out a good general impression of the quality/accuracy of the model. Frustration is a cheap gun that is inconsistent on placement. You can get some 'fun' targets also. Keep with a large bullseye type until you see groups where a smaller target is needed.
I don't remember being specifically prohibited but I don't remember ever talking to any of the other kids about this target practice shooting until I was older and had a 22 and a shotgun.
Trijicon / PRP / PistolGear barrels / SuperTuck
NRA Endowment Member SAF Member
ThumperIII is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page
airsoft battles in austin

airsoft camp for kids

airsoft camp houston

airsoft camps for kids

airsoft camps in austin
airsoft camps in washington state
airsoft competitions for kids

airsoft for kids

airsoft places in austin

airsoft teams for kids

airsoft tournaments for kids
airsoft tournaments for kids in michigan
airsoft tournaments for kids in texas
airsoft war in texas for kids
is aisoft good for kids
kids airsoft battles in texas
Click on a term to search for related topics.