• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Lookin for new tires, Michelin, Goodyear, or?

This is a discussion on Lookin for new tires, Michelin, Goodyear, or? within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; I need to get some new rubber on the car. I am very partial to Michelin, but I know there are a lot of good ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box » Lookin for new tires, Michelin, Goodyear, or?

Old 05-09-2010, 10:16 PM   #1
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 31010
Lookin for new tires, Michelin, Goodyear, or?

I need to get some new rubber on the car. I am very partial to Michelin, but I know there are a lot of good tires on the market. On my previous car I put Michelin Hydroedge tires on it and they made my taurus stick like glue on dry and wet pavement. The snow traction was good, and better than expected on ice. I have looked at the Goodyear Assurance TripleTred and they seem to be a good choice as well. Anyone have any experience with the Assurance tires or does anyone else have any other good suggestions? I know I won't go wrong with the Michelins, but I am looking to see if I can find all the pros of the Hydroedge with a little better snow traction. I can get the Michelins for $135 and the Goodyears for $126.

I like good tires, they are one of the main components that keeps you firmly planted on the road.
maizera is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-09-2010, 10:22 PM   #2
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 44792
Michelins here, well on the wifes SUV, Cross Terrains to be exact.
BFGs all terrains on the Dodge CTD

Michelins are great but pricey.
BFG's look and perform great but wear quick around town. and are pricy as well in 35's
billxdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:08 PM   #3
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 27854
Buy Michilins, but shop the price they had a $50 rebate deal when buying a set of 4. I bought Harmony for my car, 80,000 mile tires.
rayikeo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:13 PM   #4
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 29549
Hancook Ventus V12's. Under $100 per tire, and rivaling the almighty Michelin PS2 in comparison, which is almost $200 per tire. They actually performed better over the PS2 in wet conditions, according to Car & Driver.

-Thomas
Old 05-09-2010, 11:27 PM   #5
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 31998
I have some Yokohamas on my Taurus, they ride about the same as the Goodyears I had.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:40 PM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 42639
I work at a Goodyear dealer, but we sell all makes of tires at my shop. Here's the low-down:

1: The Goodyear Assurance comes in 3 flavors: Tripletred, Comfortred, and Fuel Max. The Tripletred is the one made for great traction and long-lasting wear. It's an outstanding tire if you live in a place that gets snow or lots of rain/standing water. There are a few drawbacks however. It sacrifices comfort for traction. While not as noisy as a mud tire, it's a little noisier than the average passenger car tire. If safety's your main concern however, the TripleTred is the way to go. A side-note: This tire is quite a bit heavier than it's counterparts in the same size. You might not think that means a lot, until you discover that certain cars (Newer Toyota Camry and Honda Odyssey) have specifically tuned suspensions and will not deal well with a heavier tire. The results will be vibration and noise, until the tires are replaced with something else. Warranty on the TripleTred- 80k miles. Also comes with Goodyear's Assurance package, which includes free Roadside Assistance (If you get a flat tire, you call a 1-800 number and Goodyear sends out a tow truck to change your flat tire for you, FREE of charge.) That's helpful for anyone who's got a wife who doesn't know how to change a flat tire, or kids away at college.

2: The Comfortred is quite the opposite of the TripleNipple. It's designed primarily for vehicles that fall into the sport luxury/luxury touring category. Cadillac, Buick, Oldsmobile, Acura, Lexus, Lincoln, etc. That's not to say you can't put it on an '85 Ford Tempo. But the tire itself is meant to give the softest, most comfortable ride you can get. In the past month, they've debuted a new model of Comfortred called the Comfortred Touring. The standard Comfort is being discontinued and the Touring model is taking over, but they haven't been in production for very long, so certain sizes aren't available yet. The Touring model has an extra layer of it's Comfort layer rubber in the sidewall as well as in the tread area, giving an even softer ride. While not the primary choice of Eskimos, the Comfortred will still cut through the snow and rain like any standard tire, possibly better. Also has the 80k warranty and the Assurance package.

3: The third tire in the Assurance line is the Fuel Max, which is OE fitment on the Prius, the Chevy Volt, a bunch of other hybrids. The warranty is only 65k, the tread pattern is "meh" and I haven't really heard many of my customer's have glowing reviews of it. If you don't care about saving $100 worth of gas over the lifetime of your tires, then don't even bother looking at these.

Now, the Michelins are a different story. The main competition to the Tripletred is the Michelin Hydroedge, which is a decent tire that lasts a long time. If I remember correctly, some sizes/speed ratings have a 90 or 100k mileage warranty. The Hydroedge is a great water/rain tire, but it lacks a bit in winter/snow/ice traction as far as the Tripletred is concerned. Michelin's are also pricier than Goodyears and they TEND to have a faster rate of weather checking on the sidewalls than Goodyears. I've seen year-old Michelins come into the shop that look like they've been sitting in the sun for 4 years. The competitor to the Comfortred is Michelin's Harmony. Both have the 80k warranty. The Harmony is a decent tire, designed for a quiet, comfortable ride. If I had to choose between them, I'd probably just go with the cheaper one.

Right now, Goodyear is offering a $40 rebate on the Assurance Comfort and Tripletreds, but they double it if you put the purchase on the Goodyear card, which is a no-fee card that you can only use at Goodyear locations (and I think any other dealer of Goodyear tires, but don't quote me on that.) So you could get $80 off the set if you did that, and they're doing No Interest/Minimum Payments for 6 months on purchases over $250. Even if you applied for a Goodyear card and used it to buy the tires to get the larger rebate, you could just pay it off at the store the next day or whenever.

Since you live in Minnesota, have you considered just getting a set of steel wheels and some snow tires? If so, soon would be the time to get them. Don't wait till November to buy snow tires.

Sorry for the novel here. I come here and you guys are talking about a million different guns like it's second nature to you all, and I'm all lost. Then once in a while, someone asks a question that I know the answer to, and this long-ass response is what you get.

P.S. While it doesn't mean much to some people, for others it's a deal-breaker. All of Goodyear's tires, except for the Marathon which is a trailer tire, are made either in 5 American plants or 1 Canadian plant that does their prototyping and testing. Michelin is a French company. Cooper builds tires in Ohio. Hankook, as someone mentioned above, is obviously a Chinese tire. There are a ton of Chinese tires out there. However, if you were to go buy a Ford F150 off the lot right now, chances are it would have Hankook Dynopros on it from the factory, so while they're a foreign tire, they are gaining ground in the OEM market. But some people just prefer to buy American.

Edit #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasA View Post
Hancook Ventus V12's. Under $100 per tire, and rivaling the almighty Michelin PS2 in comparison, which is almost $200 per tire. They actually performed better over the PS2 in wet conditions, according to Car & Driver.
The Ventus line is a sports car tire. The V12 (evo) is a max performance summer-only tire. Someone from Minnesota (OP) would be very unhappy come November/December with these tires on. The PS2's are even more performance oriented. I'd recommend either of those tires to something with a bit of horsepower behind it that might only see 3 seasons worth of driving. Something in the Optimo line would be more appropriate for the OP's car, assuming it's the Ford Taurus mentioned earlier.
MrBoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:12 AM   #7
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 30682
Buy ones that say MADE IN AMERICA!!! Our economy needs the boost and our tire companies need to know we support them. I didn't see Cooper in there, quality tire to all needs. Most Goodyear are made here too.
thetravlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:22 AM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 16268
Michelins were my favorite tire. Purchased many for the wife's Acura, until I had a new set and had to replace three, yes three of them due to sidewall tears. Even the dealer was surprised. Nonetheless, I bought Goodyear Eagles. They seem to be a harder tire, with a slight humming sound at high speeds. Not as quite as the Michelin brand. But, they grip the road better on turns and (hopefully) they are still made in America. Besides, I noticed the local cop cars use the Goodyear Eagle as well. My truck however, does well with B. F. Goodrich. Two sets so far.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:20 AM   #9
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 26578
I will soon be in need of replacing the tires on my F-250, and did a search on tires. I can't cite the reference, but the results came back recommending General Grabber HTS tires, and they were in the price range you mentioned.

Pirelli Scorpion ATRs also fared well in comparison.

ETA: I see you specified these were for your car (I should have read more closely), so maybe a comparable tire to the ones above are available.

Last edited by treehugger49; 05-10-2010 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Overlooked details
treehugger49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:10 AM   #10
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 25708
Personally, I like Big O Tires. They have always taken care of me and the tires last quite awhile as well. I have them rotated with each oil change to help them last a bit longer.
“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom... The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else... You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.”
--Dr. Adrian Rogers
"The first five days after the weekend are always the hardest."
-- My wife
Wired is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page
are goodyear assurance tires heavier than regular tires
assurance cs tripletred all-season vibration
goodyear assurance comfortred touring for prius
goodyear assurance comfortred touring tire verse the michelin defender
goodyear assurance comfortred vs michelin defender
goodyear assurance vs michelin defender
goodyear comfortred vs michelin defender tire
goodyear fuel max vs comfortred
goodyear vs michalin

goodyear vs michelin

goodyear vs michelin all season tires
how does the michelin destiny compare to the michelin defender?
michelin defender vs goodyear assurance
michelin defender vs goodyear assurance comfortred
michelin tire compares to goodyear assurance

michelin vs goodyear

Click on a term to search for related topics.