• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Loading a nail gun, I feel dumb for asking this

This is a discussion on Loading a nail gun, I feel dumb for asking this within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; I'm not a total noob when it comes to power / air tools, but I feel really dumb for asking this. I just purchased a ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box » Loading a nail gun, I feel dumb for asking this

Old 04-20-2010, 01:11 PM   #1
JRB
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 43361
Loading a nail gun, I feel dumb for asking this

I'm not a total noob when it comes to power / air tools, but I feel really dumb for asking this. I just purchased a Dewalt 16 gauge finish nailer (link). It comes with a 1000 pack of nails, in 50 nail segments. It loads from the back. The "manual" just says:

"1. Lock off trigger. 2. Insert fasteners into the rear of the magazine (G). 3. Pull pusher (H) back until the nail follower falls behind the nails."

Makes sense. But there is a retainer catch inside the magazine that stops the nails from being fed in, I have to get in there with my thumb and try to push them past the retainer with friction from my thumb so that the pusher can get behind the nails. Seems ridiculous to me, but I'm thinking I'm doing something wrong. I can't see a company like Dewalt making something work like that on purpose.

So, here's to hoping someone understands my question, doesn't think I'm an idiot, and can explain how to load this properly. Also, I do see the irony of asking a nail gun question on a handgun forum, but hey, just thought I'd ask anyway.
JRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-20-2010, 01:13 PM   #2
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 13497
can't help, but I am glad to hear you ended up getting your nail gun

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Member -------
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
rockerZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:14 PM   #3
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 38760
I'm sure there will be someone that knows. I've not used a nail gun before, but it doesn't sound correct.

Is there a # to call DeWalt and ask? Good luck, and be safe. Don't want a nail in the head/hand!
CMfromIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:17 PM   #4
JRB
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerz71 View Post
can't help, but I am glad to hear you ended up getting your nail gun
Yea, found it for a steal on Toolking.com (under $100, brand new). Couldn't pass it up, and even got kudos from the wife on finding the deal. Was worried it was going to be a refurb or something, but it's perfectly brand new.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:28 PM   #5
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 30019
Arrow I've never seen a nail gun that loads like that.

I dunno what this "spring catch" thing you're talking about it, so I'm not sure if this will help. If you apply some force to the nails will they slide under the catch? If you pull the follower back will it grab the nails and pull them in? I have a cheapo harbor freight $19 brad nailer that just flips open.

"What good fortune for governments that the people do not think." Adolph Hitler
I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge!!
Deer Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:35 PM   #6
JRB
XDTalk 100 Member

Just talked to a DeWalt guy on the phone. He had the same nailer in front of him, and the retainer clip I'm talking about it to keep the nails pressed up against the magazine. He said there shouldn't be that much force and the nails should slide right past. Now as he said this he said he couldn't get his nails to pull back out of it, past that retainer clip. But sounds like there's an error in the gun. There's a local authorized repair shop he pointed me towards, I'll take it over there and have them look at it.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:51 PM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 36585
On my Senco I just have the gun upside down, slide in the nails and have to give them a little nudge over the spring-loaded stopper, then pull back the pusher, and presto! Sounds like the same on you gun. The spring steel catch may have too much tension on it.
Hi-Point 45
Ranger 12ga
Various .22 rifles
jkholt72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:56 PM   #8
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 33268
yes, if the folower does nor lock back before loading the nails, then load the nails and rack the follower and all should be good

IWB

OWB
xdmp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:13 PM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 43806
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRB View Post
I'm not a total noob when it comes to power / air tools, but I feel really dumb for asking this. I just purchased a Dewalt 16 gauge finish nailer (link). It comes with a 1000 pack of nails, in 50 nail segments. It loads from the back. The "manual" just says:

"1. Lock off trigger. 2. Insert fasteners into the rear of the magazine (G). 3. Pull pusher (H) back until the nail follower falls behind the nails."

Makes sense. But there is a retainer catch inside the magazine that stops the nails from being fed in, I have to get in there with my thumb and try to push them past the retainer with friction from my thumb so that the pusher can get behind the nails. Seems ridiculous to me, but I'm thinking I'm doing something wrong. I can't see a company like Dewalt making something work like that on purpose.

So, here's to hoping someone understands my question, doesn't think I'm an idiot, and can explain how to load this properly. Also, I do see the irony of asking a nail gun question on a handgun forum, but hey, just thought I'd ask anyway.
I'm a 25 yr. veteran Finish Carpenter so I'll bite...

Stick the strip of nails in....then, pull the spring loaded "follower"...it should pass right past the strip of nails and then the follower will "drop in" behind the nails...and it should be good to go...As a Pro, (if I am able to say that and not sound cocky)I have always used Senco nailers but, DeWalt setup shouldn't be that different...

Have fun...be aware of where your fingers are on the hand that is holding the wood you are nailing! (don't ask me how I know this!)

SwampCracker67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page

how to load a dewalt nail gun

how to load a dewalt portable nail gun

how to load a nail gun

how to load brads into a dewalt staple gun
how to load dewalt finish nailer
how to load dewalt nail gun
how to load nail gun
how to load nails in a dewalt nail gun
how to load nails into a nail gun
load a nail gun
loading dewalt nail gun
relaod dewalt nail gun
taurus nail gun
taurus nail gun manual
taurus nail gun nails
Click on a term to search for related topics.