• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

.357 Sig or .40 S&W for 9mm Conversion Barrel?

This is a discussion on .357 Sig or .40 S&W for 9mm Conversion Barrel? within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; In putzing around researching the different calibers, I stumbled across the concept of conversion barrels. Yippee skippee! Now I can get something that can fire ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box » .357 Sig or .40 S&W for 9mm Conversion Barrel?

Old 04-05-2010, 09:30 AM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 44293
.357 Sig or .40 S&W for 9mm Conversion Barrel?

In putzing around researching the different calibers, I stumbled across the concept of conversion barrels. Yippee skippee! Now I can get something that can fire both/all a higher-caliber (.357 SIG a/o .40 S&W) and a smaller, more economical 9mm.

My main question is concerning the higher pressure of .357 Sig ammo. If you are going to shoot .357 Sig ammo at all, is it wiser to get a .357 Sig over a .40 S&W configured pistol so it does not wear out as fast since it was designed for the higher pressure (i.e. .357 pistols are more adept at handling the pressure even though the barrel converters will fit into a .40 S&W), or is there really no difference from the manufacturer except for the barrel and near-Magnum powered weapons just naturally wear out faster?

As a caveat, I have a Beretta 90-Two in a .40, but 1) would not mind another gun like an XD, P226, etc., etc., and 2) am willing to get a bun built for the rigors of the .357 Sig if it will hold up better to the round and 9mm rounds through a conversion barrel. If it makes no difference, I could just convert the Beretta if/when I want and then if I ever feel like it get a dedicated 9mm for cheaper ammo and more capacity, a/o .357 Sig because I've got a soft spot for .357 Magnums.

-Cheers
Dave I is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-05-2010, 09:50 AM   #2
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 67
I be a little confused!...... as
your title suggests that you
have a nine and want to convert
it to and/or/both .357SIG, .40S&W.

Maybe I am reading it wrong.

Specifically with the XDs - you cannot
convert a nine up the scale, but you
can convert a .357SIG or .40S&W to
either or AND a bull barrel nine after -
market.

Please do a good search on aftermarket
barrels. They can be had from our forum
sponsors. Fire off questions to them about
your needs.

I am a convert to all three flavors from one
cone.

By the way, the .357SIG and .40S&W have
the same XD frame, only difference is the
barrel.

Ed

Old 04-05-2010, 09:52 AM   #3
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 39051
I bought my very first XD in .357 sig caliber because I think that is by far the best pistol caliber going. I then won an XD40. I cannot tell any difference in the two whatsoever. I bought an XDm in .40 caliber just so I could get a .357sig barrel to go in it, which I did from Pistol Gear. Drop in, shoot. I don't think the .357sig wil wear the pistol with much difference in longevity since all the slides, springs, etc. are the same as for the .40 S&W. I can't tell any wear difference in my older one and have shot the XD.357 much more than the .40 S&W. Of course, I haven't shot ten's of thousands of rounds through my pistols yet.
XD357sig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:07 AM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Ely View Post
I be a little confused!...... as
your title suggests that you
have a nine and want to convert
it to and/or/both .357SIG, .40S&W.

Maybe I am reading it wrong.

Whoops! No, I meant getting a .357 Sig or .40 S&W platform that would be more optimal for use with a 9mm conversion barrel.

I have a Beretta in a .40, but would like to either:

A) Get a barrel conversion for it so I can convert it to a .357 Sig and a 9mm, a/o;

B) Get a .357 Sig that can convert to a 9mm.

If doing so would somehow cause premature wear & tear, I'd probably just get a dedicated 9mm a/o .357 Sig, and I'm interested in getting a W. German P226 or XD(m) at some point anyway.

I actually knew you couldn't convert from a 9mm up to a .357 Sig or the .40 S&W, the hole in the slide is too small from what I've read. I was not sure if perhaps the slide or frame for .357 Sig's were beefier or not compared to the .40 S&W or if one had sturdier recoil springs or something like that which would make getting a .357 Sig over a .40 S&W (or vice versa) would make more sense for one reason over another if I was going to be converting back and forth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Ely View Post
Specifically with the XDs - you cannot
convert a nine up the scale, but you
can convert a .357SIG or .40S&W to
either or AND a bull barrel nine after -
market.

Please do a good search on aftermarket
barrels. They can be had from our forum
sponsors. Fire off questions to them about
your needs.

I am a convert to all three flavors from one
cone.

By the way, the .357SIG and .40S&W have
the same XD frame, only difference is the
barrel.

Ed
Cool! Thanks for the input. It is one of those Jurassic Park scenarios. I knew I COULD do it, just wasn't sure if I SHOULD do it. Just trying to figure out any potential con's do converting between the two, and then I'll research who to get the conversion(s) from. Thank you again, and sorry for the confusion!

-Cheers
Old 04-05-2010, 11:13 AM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD357sig View Post
I bought my very first XD in .357 sig caliber because I think that is by far the best pistol caliber going. [snip] I bought an XDm in .40 caliber just so I could get a .357sig barrel to go in it, which I did from Pistol Gear.
Sir, I like the way you think! My first love with guns is the .357 Magnum, so I can appreciate that sentiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD357sig View Post
Drop in, shoot. I don't think the .357sig wil wear the pistol with much difference in longevity since all the slides, springs, etc. are the same as for the .40 S&W. I can't tell any wear difference in my older one and have shot the XD.357 much more than the .40 S&W. Of course, I haven't shot ten's of thousands of rounds through my pistols yet.
The reason I questioned that was I read that Beretta apparently recommends against the 9mm conversion barrel in the .40 S&W. That could have been flat-out wrong and Beretta might have never said that (surprisingly, not everything read on the Internet is fact), or it could be a marketing thing to get people to buy the whole guns in .40 AND the 9mm and anything else they carry, but it beats me. If there was anything to it, I'd rather get the one built for the higher-demands type of round and convert down. On the other hand, if it makes virtually no difference then I do not see any advantage in getting something other than a .40 S&W or .357 Sig and converting if and whenever I feel like it, as opposed to getting a 9mm that, while a fine round in and of itself, it kind of stuck there. Unless that is your bread-and-butter and only round you want to shoot. But this is why I ask.

-Cheers

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page
.40 s&w 4barrel conversion xd
beretta 40 cal conversion kit to 9 mm
beretta 40 cal to 357 sig conversion
can i shoot .357 sig through my 40 s&w xdm?
can the beretta 90 two 40 do a barrel swap
conversion barrel from s&m 357-sig to s&m-40cal
conversion kits for .40s&w caliber pistol to .357sig caliber

convert a sig 9mm to a 357 sig

convert xdm 40 cal.(s&w) to 357 sig
converting sig 229 from 40mm to 9mm
got a .9mm barrel for my s&w .40 shield from guns and gear
is there a barrel and slide to convert a s&w 99 from 40 cal to357 sig
sig conversion barrels
springfield xd 9mm to .357 sig conversion
xd 357 sig 9mm convertion

xd 357 sig to 9mm conversion barrel

Click on a term to search for related topics.