• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Straight Talk Cell Phone Service

This is a discussion on Straight Talk Cell Phone Service within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; Their contract is nothing more than a way to rip you off. I hate these cell phone contracts....

Old 01-24-2010, 08:27 PM   #21
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 8838
Their contract is nothing more than a way to rip you off. I hate these cell phone contracts.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:15 AM   #22
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 36358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wired View Post
Oh yeah. If you upgrade your phone that comes with a contract because they subsidize the cost of the phone.

I was wondering because my mom seems to think you have to cancel your contract on the day it's up otherwise they will automatically extend it another 2 years. I told her she's nuts, but she thinks it's common practice.

I was thinking you were saying this is the case and how Verizon works. So why are you leaving them when your contract is up? If you don't get a new phone you won't have a new contract. Just wondering as I might be switching to Verizon, so I really like to know why others are leaving. Thanks.
Once the contract period is up you will continue to receive services as long as you pay the monthly bill. Now you will be aske to renew when and it you every call customer service and you get an offer in the mail every so often.

That is how all three major carriers (AT&T, Verizon, & Sprint/Nextel) work.

And according to my straight talk rep, the straight talk service plans (cards) only work with the straight talk phones.

Take my love / Take my land / Take me where I cannot stand / I don't care / I'm still free / You can't take the sky from me.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
ID_ford_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:37 AM   #23
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 23238
I have used straight talk for 3 months now and although I have not left the jacksonville area I can say that so far I have not lost signal anywhere. The good: $30 card + phn gets you 1000 mins 1000 texts and 20 or 30mb, the signal strength is outstanding so far all around Jax.FL. The Bad: Can only get ringtones or wallpapers from straight talks web sight, cannot send a photo from my phone to my e-mail or photobucket,cannot exchange files via bluetooth,if you are more than 1 day over the 30 days the card is good for you have to call in to reactivate your account and I must say it is quite annoying.

The only thing that really bugs me is the not being able to send any photos I take with the phn to my e-mail or photobucket accnt and the reactivating phn if going past 30 days. I can live without ringtones or wallpapers. If you want a phn just for calls and texting than this service would be great for you..if you want all the fixins and high tech services you can find on other carriers go with them you will be dissapointed. The closest I've come to using all of my 1000 mins is this month I have 2hrs left to use by the 27th and obviously any unused time does not roll over. A good basic no frills service.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery. Forbid it O' Mighty God for I know not what course others may take. But as for me, Give me Liberty or give me Death. - Patrick Henry
[/FONT]
RIA 1911 .45ACP
Uberti Millenium .45LC
Rossi 461 .357mag
Heritage SA .22lr/.22mag
Maverick security 88 12ga
Marlin 70 .22lr
Walther P22 .22lr
Savage Mark II .22lr
charlie.45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:57 AM   #24
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 30682
Verizon has the best coverage of all the carriers. I've had their phones since 2001 and the only time of no bars were in mountain wilderness regions. Unlike csutke, I have never had a problem in North or South
Dakota's boondooks. My friend with a trucking company just switched 12 phones because he was tired of ATT's no coverage. The new phones with all the gadgets cost more initially and to use (all those fancy things they do are via internet and internet charges). Just remember that phone salesman are as sneaky and slick as any good car salesman.
thetravlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:18 AM   #25
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 25708
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie.45 View Post
I have used straight talk for 3 months now and although I have not left the jacksonville area I can say that so far I have not lost signal anywhere. The good: $30 card + phn gets you 1000 mins 1000 texts and 20 or 30mb, the signal strength is outstanding so far all around Jax.FL. The Bad: Can only get ringtones or wallpapers from straight talks web sight, cannot send a photo from my phone to my e-mail or photobucket,cannot exchange files via bluetooth,if you are more than 1 day over the 30 days the card is good for you have to call in to reactivate your account and I must say it is quite annoying.

The only thing that really bugs me is the not being able to send any photos I take with the phn to my e-mail or photobucket accnt and the reactivating phn if going past 30 days. I can live without ringtones or wallpapers. If you want a phn just for calls and texting than this service would be great for you..if you want all the fixins and high tech services you can find on other carriers go with them you will be dissapointed. The closest I've come to using all of my 1000 mins is this month I have 2hrs left to use by the 27th and obviously any unused time does not roll over. A good basic no frills service.
So even though you have data you can't email yourself pictures and such? What do you really get then with the data? Can you please explain more? I know it's a cheaper service, but I expect to be able to surf, send stuff via email or go online. It sounds like there's some limitations there.

As for the activation, I would set it up to auto bill my credit card so that didn't happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetravlor View Post
Verizon has the best coverage of all the carriers. I've had their phones since 2001 and the only time of no bars were in mountain wilderness regions. Unlike csutke, I have never had a problem in North or South
Dakota's boondooks. My friend with a trucking company just switched 12 phones because he was tired of ATT's no coverage. The new phones with all the gadgets cost more initially and to use (all those fancy things they do are via internet and internet charges). Just remember that phone salesman are as sneaky and slick as any good car salesman.
Yeah, ATT in North Dakota is a joke. I know what I want before I go see the salesman, thanks though.
“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom... The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else... You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.”
--Dr. Adrian Rogers
"The first five days after the weekend are always the hardest."
-- My wife
Wired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:44 PM   #26
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 28772
Quote:
So even though you have data you can't email yourself pictures and such? What do you really get then with the data? Can you please explain more? I know it's a cheaper service, but I expect to be able to surf, send stuff via email or go online. It sounds like there's some limitations there.
Straight Talk is very limited.

As noted above, if you can't do it on the phone itself (and they don't offer "smart phones"), it won't get done.

• No tethering
• No Bluetooth beyond headset usage
• Internet only on the phone's hardware/software. This is highly problematic as the phone software doesn't play well (if at all - depending on phone model) with Gmail, Facebook, Myspace or other popular protocols.

To really shed some light on Straight Talk, they're owned by América Móvil - the same people that own TracFone and Net10. If you're familar with those services, you should be quite familiar with how Straight Talk is run. The phones are locked down severely (so you can't take'em to your local nerd to have the phones native hardware/software services re-enabled).
Quote:
As for the activation, I would set it up to auto bill my credit card so that didn't happen.
There have been issues reported with that, too (overbilling, missed billing, etc)

In my opinion, ST is aimed at the ignorant (those looking for a good deal, and not looking past good ol' WalMart) WalMart shoppers. Also, IMHO, Straight Talk is a ripoff, considering you get "unlimited" everything - but only in the handset (which are very limited in function).

I found Straight Talk last year, and thought it looked like the cat's pajamas, too, but I did my research first. I found Page Plus and thought so highly of it, I became a PP dealer.

I'd suggest you find a cell phone forum and do your research, too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
|
nalioth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:48 PM   #27
XDTalk 20K Member

Member #: 21823
Not to hijack, but can I put my iphone on page plus and get unlimited everything as I do now? What would the cost be fore unlimited everything?

SgtWKPII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:56 PM   #28
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 28772
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtWKPII View Post
Not to hijack, but can I put my iphone on page plus and get unlimited everything as I do now? What would the cost be fore unlimited everything?
This is what the PM system is for.

|
|
nalioth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:59 PM   #29
XDTalk 20K Member

Member #: 21823
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalioth View Post
This is what the PM system is for.
Gee, thanks for all the help! I see you have the propaganda down, but you still need work on the customer service part!

SgtWKPII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:09 PM   #30
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 25708
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtWKPII View Post
Gee, thanks for all the help! I see you have the propaganda down, but you still need work on the customer service part!
LMAO!!!! That's funny!
“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom... The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else... You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.”
--Dr. Adrian Rogers
"The first five days after the weekend are always the hardest."
-- My wife
Wired is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page
att smart talk south dakota
does straight talk work in fargo, nd

does straight talk work in north dakota

does straight talk work in south dakota

does straight talk work in williston nd

straight talk , will it work in north dakota

straight talk coverage in north dakota

straight talk coverage in nyc

straight talk coverage in south dakota

straight talk coverage north dakota
straight talk in north dakota

straight talk north dakota

straight talk north grand forks dakota coverage
straight talk service near williston, nd
straighttalk coverage
Click on a term to search for related topics.