• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Texas Resident- Florida CHL?

This is a discussion on Texas Resident- Florida CHL? within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; Hello everyone. Ive decided to finally get a CHL, and I was unaware that I am not eligible to get a Texas CHL. ( I ...

Old 01-20-2010, 05:26 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 37273
Texas Resident- Florida CHL?

Hello everyone.

Ive decided to finally get a CHL, and I was unaware that I am not eligible to get a Texas CHL. ( I was arrested for DWI in Sept '07, DPS dropped charges and I never lost my license, Did deferred ajudication for the county charges, then the charges were dismissed.) I called DPS and they confirmed that even though the charges were dropped, for CHL purposes that a deffered ajudication is treated as a conviction. DPS doesnt care that I'm in law school and a member of the American Bar Association, they still feel like Im a criminal...... So, to make a long story short I can't apply for a Texas CHL until Sept 2012.

So, Ive been reading and I can apply and should qualify for a Florida CCW which has reciprocity in Texas. A person doesnt have to be a Florida resident to get a Florida CCW.

Has anyone here done this? If so, have you had any problems with carrying in Texas? Ever had any contact with LEO while carrying Florida CCW in Texas?

I spoke to a licensing agent from Florida and he told me that I need to take an NRA or Law Enforcement approved firearms safety course for the Florida CCW. Would a Texas CHL course suffice?

Any other pertinent info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
JAguirre is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-20-2010, 05:44 PM   #2
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 25708
Check TX law. In CO you have to be a resident of the state that issued your CCW. In this case you would have to be a resident of FL to carry in CO.
You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom... The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else... You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
--Dr. Adrian Rogers
"The first five days after the weekend are always the hardest."
-- My wife
Wired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:20 PM   #3
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 28772
Yeah, check the law.

Some states laws say that your out-of-state CHL isn't valid if you're a resident where you're using it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
|
nalioth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:47 PM   #4
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 18979
+1 check TX law. I have a FL CCW license, and NM honors it despite my NM residency. In your case, I'd also want to confirm that your DWI doesn't completely disqualify you from carrying concealed in TX no matter what state's license you have. If you worked with an attorney to resolve your DWI matter, it might be worth the money to consult with him/her.
WARNING: The above post may contain material of a humorous or ironic nature. Any grammar or spelling errors may be intended to enhance the aforesaid humor or irony. Please consider carefully before responding.

I don't care that he's black. I hate him because he's Red.

The guy who thinks he's the smartest one in the room never is.

Bucc5207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:11 PM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Ive been researching all evening and everything I read shows that I should be able to use a Florida CCW to carry here in Texas....

Anyone else have experience in this area?
Old 01-20-2010, 08:25 PM   #6
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 22165
FL and TX do reciprocate. if you can get a non resident FL permit you should be covered, of course, checking out the statutes for yourself is wisest.
TeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:06 AM   #7
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 36442
If the reciprocity law says you must be a resident of that state for the CHL/CCW permit to be valid, then no. If it doesn't your good.

Texas Department of Public Safety - Courtesy, Service, Protection

According to this your good if you get a Florida or Tennessee CHL. But from what I hear Florida is more reciprocal to other states.

I am not a lawyer, so I would suggest confirming this with an attorney prior to making any action.
Sewer_Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:05 AM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 12589
Since Fl has a non resident CWL your good to go
cajunautoxer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:23 AM   #9
AKC
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 41665
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAguirre View Post
Hello everyone.

Ive decided to finally get a CHL, and I was unaware that I am not eligible to get a Texas CHL. ( I was arrested for DWI in Sept '07, DPS dropped charges and I never lost my license, Did deferred ajudication for the county charges, then the charges were dismissed.) I called DPS and they confirmed that even though the charges were dropped, for CHL purposes that a deffered ajudication is treated as a conviction. DPS doesnt care that I'm in law school and a member of the American Bar Association, they still feel like Im a criminal...... So, to make a long story short I can't apply for a Texas CHL until Sept 2012.

So, Ive been reading and I can apply and should qualify for a Florida CCW which has reciprocity in Texas. A person doesnt have to be a Florida resident to get a Florida CCW.

Has anyone here done this? If so, have you had any problems with carrying in Texas? Ever had any contact with LEO while carrying Florida CCW in Texas?

I spoke to a licensing agent from Florida and he told me that I need to take an NRA or Law Enforcement approved firearms safety course for the Florida CCW. Would a Texas CHL course suffice?

Any other pertinent info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I live in Austin, and I took a class for the Utah CHL permit which has reciprocity in Texas. It was only a four hour class and it was cheaper. I took the class in Georgetown about 30 mins N. of Austin. There are only 2 guys who give the Utah class in this area. So you might check on that. The guy I took my class from said he may go to Florida to become a licensed instructor for that state as well. Then he can give the class here in Texas.

No problems carrying with my Utah. I showed to a Sherrif's Deputy one time and he gave it right back no questions asked.
AKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:40 AM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

I finally got a straight answer from Texas DPS.

I explained my situation to a different DPS licensing Tech, and he told me that I CAN legally carry with a Florida Non-Resident License, and that there should not be any problem, unless I were to run into an LEO that doesnt know about the reciprocity laws. He also suggested that I file a motion with the court that charged me with a DWI to have the case status be changed from "dismissed" to "vacated, set-aside, or annulled".

I hope this information helps somebody else.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page
can a person in texas get a florida chl?
can i fly to florida if i have a texas chl
does texas still honors florida chl
florida ccw austin

florida chl

florida chl class in austin
florida chl class in houston
florida chl class in texas

florida chl in texas

florida cwl as a texas resident
harder to get texas chl or florida non-resident
if i have a florida chl can i get one in texas
is florida chl good in texas
should i get a florida non-residnet chl instead of texas
texas chl vs florida chl
why get a chl from florida
Click on a term to search for related topics.