• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Break Away Mailbox

This is a discussion on Break Away Mailbox within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; I have had to replace my mailbox and mailbox post at an ever increasing frequency, due to driver distraction. The standard mailbox and post are ...

Old 01-14-2010, 10:38 AM   #1
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 22287
Break Away Mailbox

I have had to replace my mailbox and mailbox post at an ever increasing frequency, due to driver distraction. The standard mailbox and post are as far back from the road (straight and only 35 MPH) as possible with the mailman in his truck still able to reach it. That has not stopped distracted drivers from going off road and smashing my mailbox post. The only time drivers stop and own up is when their vehicle is so damaged that they cannot drive away and the police show up. Drivers who have owned up are typically women on cell phones, although one claimed she was eating a banana at the time. Even the cheap poly vinyl post and alum mailbox I use costs $90 each time.

I just bought a $39 steel self-driven mailbox post that is hammered 18" into the ground. The metal arm/bracket (for the box) has holes for two bolts, but I only used one bolt to attach the bracket to the arm. I then attached an extended treated wood 1x4 to the metal bracket with four screws. The wood extension lets me set back the post 24" further from the road with the mailbox on the end of the plank, at the same distance from the road as before (same reach for the mailman from his truck). To hit the set back post now, a driver would have to go through an existing uproad telephone pole first, i.e. a telephone pole is blocking for me. If the mailbox/1x4 are struck, the plank and bracket will pivot on the arm due to the one bolt attachment, sparing the metal post from torque damage. The alum mailbox and 1x4 will only cost about $10 to replace each incident.
Wild Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-14-2010, 10:41 AM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 38671
I would just get a big rock and put it just off the road in front of the box.
If people swerve off the road make sure the is more that $90 of damage to there car.
Ruger 357 6"
Help with the CC law
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Ccspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:47 AM   #3
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 22287
Boulder on the Shoulder

I thought about that and some neighbors have done just that, but that part of the road shoulder is a county easement. If someone hits a huge boulder I place on the shoulder, I could be liable for their injury or death. Revenge would be sweet, but I don't want to be sued for a million dollars over a $10 mailbox.
Wild Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:49 AM   #4
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 25708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccspinner View Post
I would just get a big rock and put it just off the road in front of the box.
If people swerve off the road make sure the is more that $90 of damage to there car.
+1

Get two huge landscaping boulders and set them right there. They'll look nice and provide some protection as well.
“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom... The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else... You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.”
--Dr. Adrian Rogers
"The first five days after the weekend are always the hardest."
-- My wife
Wired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:50 AM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 4310
Fill that puppy with Tannerite!
Old 01-14-2010, 10:55 AM   #6
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 39037
Your idea is best... let the pole take the hit...

One of the farmers got tired of punk kids smashing his mail box... So he took a 6 foot steel pipe, painted it, drove it 2 feet into the ground with a concrete setting, it was over the ditch, so he attached a pole out stretched from that one... then he made his own mail box from sheet steel he welded.

It was essentially a "tank" of a mailbox. Kids come along one night smack it. WHAP! Dislocated shoulder, sued the farmer, even though the kid broke the law... I would like someone to pass a law that states that if you're committing a crime? You've waived your right to civilly sue the victims for ANYTHING...EVER!
Reverenddel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:02 AM   #7
XDTalk Member

Member #: 40786
I would have put in a 3-4" pipe and fill it with concrete in the same place your old mail box was. Then put a vinyl flashing around it. At least then you would be guaranteed that the people stopped. Why should you be out money when its their stupidity that caused it.
Abelethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:06 AM   #8
XDTalk 20K Member

Member #: 21823
If they cannot see this, they deserve to hit it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
SgtWKPII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:06 AM   #9
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 33473
When I was a kid an ex boyfriend of my sister would run over our mail box every couple of weeks, so my dad dug a hole about 3' across 6' deep and sunk a 3" steel pipe filled with concrete, put 1x4s around it so it looked like a 4x4. He only tried to hit it one more time. Totaled his car.
Planedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:18 AM   #10
Stu
XDTalk Member

Member #: 40310
Some kept smashing my grandpaw's mailbox intentionally. So he bild one out of drill pipe and casing. It was a beast. He then cemented about 2" into the ground with a cement pad formed around it. He woke up one morning and someone had hacksawed the thing down. Honestly, it would have taken hours and multiple blades to cut that thing down. obviously someone really hates my grandparents.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page
break a way mail box post
break away mail box post
break away mail box posts
breakaway brick mailboxes

breakaway mailbox

breakaway mailbox post

breakaway mailbox posts
breakaway mailboxes
brick mailbox lawsuit
do mailbox posts have to be breakaway
do mailboxes have to be breakaway
nc statutes breakaway mailbox rightaway
Click on a term to search for related topics.