• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

How often do you change your oil in your diesel vehicle?

This is a discussion on How often do you change your oil in your diesel vehicle? within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; I got a 6.6L Duramax. I use shell Rotella oil non synthetic. I change my oil every 5 or 6k miles, anyone go longer intervels ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box » How often do you change your oil in your diesel vehicle?

Old 12-18-2009, 01:55 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 41539
How often do you change your oil in your diesel vehicle?

I got a 6.6L Duramax. I use shell Rotella oil non synthetic. I change my oil every 5 or 6k miles, anyone go longer intervels between changes? I have heard some guys wait until 10k miles to change the oil in their diesels. I change the oil every 5k in the wifes gasoline powered car. What say you?
doubledup is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-18-2009, 02:08 PM   #2
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 31126
I had a Volkswagon Golf TDI that had scheduled maint w/oil change every 5k for the first 20-30k and then every 10k after that. I think the first bit was break-in.

I loved that little car. I got 45-50 mpg; but, had to trade it off as my kids' legs were getting too long. That's what I get for marrying a tall blonde bombshell!

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government ~ Thomas Jefferson

A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined. ~George Washington

We are a free people living under a republic of our own construction. We may consent to be governed, but we will not be ruled. ~Kevin D. Williamson

NRA
katokahn99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:01 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 28192
The company i used to work for had a fleet of ford f-450s and 550s with the 7.3 powerstroke, we used amsoil in all of them and didn't change the oil until between 20- 25,000 miles. We used to change the filters about every 7500, or twice between oil changes. We never had a problem. But that was just our expirence. I'd say talk to your local parts store, or a bulk oil supplier/salesman, and see what they have to say. We also used to deal with Lubrication Engineers, or L.E. oils, and T.R.C. ( Texas Refinery Co.) Good luck!
"I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America, and a country boys good enough for me." - Charlie Daniels
warchild69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:10 PM   #4
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 26668
My Dodge Cummins is changed about every 7000 or so. Been working great as I have gotten great life out of my trucks. My big trucks are all on different schedules. Cummins had one on a 16,000 mile change. My CAT is pretty close to that....but then we are talking 6 gallons of oil, too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Bultx1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:20 PM   #5
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 5188
In my International Paystar Concrete truck, Every 250 hour

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Toby Keith
mdbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:34 PM   #6
XDTalk Member

Member #: 40226
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledup View Post
I got a 6.6L Duramax. I use shell Rotella oil non synthetic. I change my oil every 5 or 6k miles, anyone go longer intervels between changes? I have heard some guys wait until 10k miles to change the oil in their diesels. I change the oil every 5k in the wifes gasoline powered car. What say you?
D/Max here, too. I run Mobil Delvac 1 full synthetic and change the oil @ 10K miles. The OLI usually shows about 10% of life left.

If I was running dino oil I would likely change it @ 5K.

Achmed's Razor: If it walks like an infidel, and talks like an infidel -- it's an infidel.
65Post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:33 AM   #7
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 37396
My dad and I both run our Duramaxs until the computer tells us to change it. We also run Rotella.
1852legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:39 AM   #8
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 30019
Arrow Well, I change it once a year.

I have a Yanmar 240d tractor, and change the oil once a year, regardless of whether it looks dirty or not. I know it's probably not even close to needing an oil change, but I do it anyways. I use shell rotella 15w40, and a fram oil filter (just so happens to be the same one as my bro's caddy!!!) which makes it cheap. It's just a little 2 cylinder 24hp diesel, but it does an AMAZING amount of work. Never seen a little tractor drag full size trucks sideways out of ditches before. I actually made a custom oil pressure guage fitting for it, and installed a temp sensor, with a volt meter. I also made a custom breather for the trans/rear axle so it can't get water in it. Pretty well made machine if I do say so myself.

"What good fortune for governments that the people do not think." Adolph Hitler
I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge!!
Deer Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page

cummins diesel waited too long change oil

how long between oil changes diesel
how long should i wait between oil changes on ford 7.3
how many miles do you change diesel motor oil 6.6
how often do i need to replace diesel oil
how often does a diesel car need an oil change
how often should i change oil ford f 450 diesel
how often should i change the oil in a 7.3 diesel truck?
how often should you change the oil in a ford diesel
how often should you change your oil in a 6.6 duramax

how often should you change your oil in a diesel

how often to change oil in diesel pickup

how often to change oil in duramax diesel

oil change duramax how often

synthetic oil in a 240d
Click on a term to search for related topics.