• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Home Theater pics n gear

This is a discussion on Home Theater pics n gear within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; With that many windows you are either going to have to stay away from a projector or make sure that you include some creative ideas ...

Old 12-12-2009, 04:31 PM   #11
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 21449
With that many windows you are either going to have to stay away from a projector or make sure that you include some creative ideas to block all of the light coming into the room. Projectors are really the best for large screens but have to have a light controled room.

What I meant by technical is does the thought of using 5 remotes scare you? Are you planning to do the install yourself?

I've found that most of my clients loved a multi-function remote to handle everything. It keeps it more user friendly and with discreet codes - you can rerun the command if it missed anything. With all of that said - I would go with a large LCD instead of the projector in any of those rooms. Some of the larger, higher end box sets might get you everything you want. The last install I did local on a smaller budget was around $6,500 and it included a 135" screen with screen goo (turned out nice), a Denon high-end receiver (still got one NIB from the install if you are interested), Denon DVD, 7.1 speaker setup (2 towers, center, 1 sub, 4 bookshelves), and a color touchscreen remote. The remote was 1,100 itself but without it the client had no hope of running any of it. Now, they just push (watch movie) and everything turns on and is set just the way it needs to be. Has more buttons for watch TV, listen to music, etc....

visit remotecentral.com for info on the remotes

visit monoprice.com for dealer direct prices to the public for all of your cables

Here's the best remote I've used to date: Universal Remote Control Model MX-3000

There's some newer out there that I haven't used it yet but the MX3000 is awesome!

I've got an olderd Pronto black and white w/ rf extender and charger base that I've got for sale. all of it for $50. Might need a new battery when you get it - it's not been used since I upgraded the client to the MX3000
cadconversions is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-12-2009, 04:45 PM   #12

Member #: 14723
That's a lot of helpfull information thanks! I'd definitely be the one to install the system I know during the day the two rooms are fairly dark if the blinds are closed and we will be installing solar screens here pretty soon so it may darken it up just a touch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
[SIZE=1]<<<- Stop by and check it out.
TacoMalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:28 PM   #13
XDTalk 500 Member

Make sure you can darken the room if you decide to go with a projector. It's a must. With out going overboard and crazy with you - unless you are an audiophile - about any speaker you can get from crutchfield will make you happy. I use to be an Elac dealer and had a setup in my basement for showing people the system. The spearkers were over 10,000 alone and my wife didn't think she could tell the difference. Once she heard the setup above and then we went straight to another clients home with the Elac's she could hear it. However, you'll probably never have a chance to compare like that.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:36 PM   #14
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 12944
Taco, I'd love to help but my kids turned my room into a Wii Palace.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:17 PM   #15

Member #: 14723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Se2002 View Post
Taco, I'd love to help but my kids turned my room into a Wii Palace.
I have that to look forward to now but he's got a long way to go before he even knows what a tv looks like.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
[SIZE=1]<<<- Stop by and check it out.
TacoMalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:24 AM   #16
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 32302
I agree about the MX3000. Great remote. I was able to get an installer account to help program it. My wife loves it. It's all rf based so I can use it outside by the pool.

I ended up picking the Klipsch Reference 83 7.1 system over a Paradigm Signature series which was double the price. I couldn't get over how smooth the Klipschs were. Not as in your face like Klipsch speakers I've heard in the past of the Paradigm Signatures. The system is a bit large for the room but with the Audyssey Pro kit I purchased (much better than what comes with the processors) the acoustics were better than I could have hoped.

This is before I got the new rug but shows how massive the center channel is next to a 65 inch screen. Best center I've ever heard. The 83s to the side are also massive. I definately reccomend you give the Klipsh reference system a listen even if you have never liked Klipsch speakers in the past.

Also, if you can not completely control the lighting in your room I would go with either an LCD flat screen or even better the Mits 80 inch dlp rptv that they have now. Be careful with some LCDs. Glare can be a major issue with the many windows you have.

Eventually that will be my bar/pool area and I'm doing a dedicated theater like that Star Trek theater.
Dal1as is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:24 AM   #17
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 25708
Mines not anything fancy, but it was certainly a step up from what I had.

Here's what I have:
TV:
LG - 47" Class / 1080p / 240Hz / LED-LCD HDTV - 47LH90
Surround Sound:
Onkyo HT-S6200 Home theater audio system with HDMI switching, plus iPod® dock at Crutchfield.com
BluRay:
Panasonic DMP-BD60K Blu-ray Disc™ high-definition player at Crutchfield.com

I also have a PS2, PS3 and a cable box hooked up.

This is my only TV and I love it. Great picture and excellent sound from the speakers. You certainly could spend a lot more, but this is a sweet setup if you're going from a 27" CRT TV w/ no surround sound to this.
“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom... The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else... You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.”
--Dr. Adrian Rogers
"The first five days after the weekend are always the hardest."
-- My wife
Wired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:43 PM   #18
XDTalk 500 Member

DLP's are still the best in my opinion. Not as "cool" since they aren't flat but they are still the best pictures on the market for my money.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:57 PM   #19
SRD
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 13092
The new mitsubishi DLPs are awsome i just ordered an 73in one. Which will be going along with Triad speakers, velodyne subs, and denon receiver. should be awsome when done.

-------------------------------------------------
Since my list was to long last time ill only put my favorite pistols

HKP7
CZ82
Browning Hi power
FN Hi power
Sig p232
Sig p220 Elite SS
NAA 22PUG
XD45
G19
G29
Norinco Ak47
FN PS90 SBR
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:07 PM   #20
XDTalk 500 Member

I'm watching my old Mits DLP right now. Good stuff!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

audio, home theater

Search tags for this page

n home theater

theater tickets view post
Click on a term to search for related topics.