• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Dealing with disrespectful family

This is a discussion on Dealing with disrespectful family within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; Ok, this is gonna be half long winded rant half seeking advice, I'm sure someone has been in similar situations or just an outside opinion ...

Old 11-29-2009, 11:50 AM   #1
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 29762
Angry Dealing with disrespectful family

Ok, this is gonna be half long winded rant half seeking advice, I'm sure someone has been in similar situations or just an outside opinion would be good.

My family(sister, her husband and 2 nieces 15 & 16) are really my only family locally and I enjoy hanging out with them. There has however been a progressively worsening problem when they come to my house. They treat my house like a cheap hotel or something. They are messy, break things and just in general have no respect for my house. This has seriously limited their coming to my house which is a shame because that means less time with my family.

My GF has been seriously annoyed with this to the point she just stays in the bedroom to avoid them entirely.

A few examples that happened recently. My nieces were in the living room and needed scissors for something. The one goes to the kitchen and grabs the scissors and Throws them across the room onto the couch. Firstly, who throws scissors and the parents don't intervene?? Then they land on my micro suede couch... I confront them asking why would they throw scissors to which I got a 'they landed on the couch it's ok'. Then, I mention that I like my couch and don't want holes in it. Their dad takes the attitude that I'm being a snob and over protective, it's just a couch.

At this point I'll mention their house is a total sobbingly pig sty. They would have no worries about adding more holes to their own couch.

Another regular problem is them eating. They make a huge mess and there's no attempt to clean anything up. I've watched them eat chips and half what they attempt to eat ends up on the floor. They(nieces and their dad) will ignore anything that lands on the floor or just kick it under the table out of the way.

Again, that behavior goes on at their own home as well. However I've seen them at other friends houses and they don't act that way.

Their dad seems to reinforce this type of behavior of disrespect for anything. His reasoning is he grew up poor so he doesn't care about material possessions. I grew up poor myself and that has led me to have high respect for stuff I own as I know its value. It's easy to say "oh its just stuff it doesn't mean anything". Well, that stuff cost me money and I work hard to earn my money.

My older niece has been through 5+ cell phones in 2 years. She would literally just throw her phone across the room for a laugh. When it breaks she would just get a new one. When I was a kid if I had thrown something and it broke, guess what I didn't get a replacement. We used to buy them a bunch of nice things for christmas but it is depressing to see something trashed instantly and then thrown away. We got them some jewelry one year, most of the stuff didn't make it past christmas day!

I'm not sure how to deal with this without upsetting anyone more than needed. Again, I've made comments about how things get broken when they are around and I just get the attitude in return. They try to act like I keep all my possessions in plastic bubbles scared anything will get touched. I just can't make them understood that stuff like throwing scissors on my expensive couch is just disrespectful.

/rant
iwannadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-29-2009, 12:00 PM   #2
psc
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 30398
I'd have a long talk with your sister...no sense avoiding the topic. Then I would let your BIL know straight up that he is a pig and an idiot and until he pulls his stuff together he won't be allowed in your house.

I wouldn't kick his behind just yet...you might be doing them a favor by educating them and showing them ''how to get it right".

They are family, so I say they are worth the effort. You'll know when and if to pull the plug on these cave people.
o~'o
psc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:01 PM   #3
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 35632
I say if your serious with your GF, get to know her family and spend more time with them, than yours. Just an idea and I see where your coming from, hate to lose what family you have, but sounds like they are out of control.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:02 PM   #4
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 10667
You have to put your foot down. It is your house - they have to live by your rules. They can do whatever they want in their own home.

If they cannot respect you or your property, I would suggest they find a nice hotel in the area. You can meet them over there for "family time" and they can settle up with the hotel manager for the damages when they check out.
Way too many guns to list....
NC Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:03 PM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 28015
It's your house. Your rules apply. End of story. Really, even though they are family, if you don't set the rules, nothing changes.
sud123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:06 PM   #6
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 33268
a think in the future a few pamphlets from motel 6 or any motel that can be rented by the hour may send a good message, or actually it may be cheaper the next time they come in town to have reservations at one and when they show up hand it to them and say, have a nice time.

i agree with you, i did not grow up poor but i am currently on my own with two kids and tend to value everything i own and dont want it disrespected. the more money i save on essentials, the more money i have for wants (like more XD's and ammo)

your feelings are valid on this, find a way to put ur foot down and show them this behavior will not be tolerated.

i photocopy of you gun permit with the pamphlets night be a good idea too

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

IWB

OWB
xdmp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:20 PM   #7
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 29762
Thanks for all the input, just to clarify a little. They live like 15 minutes from me lol, not to say suggesting they go to a motel instead of my house isn't a valid idea.

I guess an actual sit down talk with my sister and BIL are the way to go. I just feel bad, my sister isn't so much a cause for the goings on at my house and will get emotional. She is a huge part of the problem though as she cleans up after them at home which supports the behavior. Maybe a talk will be a bit of an eye opener for them for how they act at my house and at home. I mean, we aren't invited to their house because you literally can't sit on the couch usually for all the clutter/junk. The kitchen table is burred under god knows what and they tend to eat standing lol.

Just blows my mind to think about how I would feel going to someone's house and acting like they do.
iwannadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:25 PM   #8
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 33268
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannadie View Post
Thanks for all the input, just to clarify a little. They live like 15 minutes from me lol, not to say suggesting they go to a motel instead of my house isn't a valid idea.

I guess an actual sit down talk with my sister and BIL are the way to go. I just feel bad, my sister isn't so much a cause for the goings on at my house and will get emotional. She is a huge part of the problem though as she cleans up after them at home which supports the behavior. Maybe a talk will be a bit of an eye opener for them for how they act at my house and at home. I mean, we aren't invited to their house because you literally can't sit on the couch usually for all the clutter/junk. The kitchen table is burred under god knows what and they tend to eat standing lol.

Just blows my mind to think about how I would feel going to someone's house and acting like they do.
well in that case, send them this link...

Hoarders - A&E TV

IWB

OWB
xdmp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:52 PM   #9
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 30452
From personal experience with people like that.

They will not change, ever.

They do not want to change and you can't make them.

If you want to see them, go visit them at their house.

I would definitely make an effort to spend more time with your girlfriends' family.
Jarhead1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 01:14 PM   #10
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 5489
Its very simple...if ya can't respect my house and my things, you can visit me from the yard. This is MY house, not yours. If ya can't deal with it. stay home.

einheit 13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page
dealing with disrespectful family members
dealing with disrespectful siblings

disrespectful family

disrespectful family members quotes

disrespectful family quotes

family disrespect quotes
how to deal with a disrespectful family
how to deal with a disrespectful sibling
how to deal with disrespectful family
how to deal with disrespectful family members

quotes about disrespectful family

quotes about disrespectful family members
quotes about disrespectful relatives
spouse's family members disrespect my home
what to do when family members disrespect you

when family members disrespect you

Click on a term to search for related topics.