• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Help needed XD .40 Goes from Accurate to Inaccurate

This is a discussion on Help needed XD .40 Goes from Accurate to Inaccurate within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; Hi i just purchased an xd .40 a few months ago. I shot it a number of times and it was great. Then cleaned it ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box » Help needed XD .40 Goes from Accurate to Inaccurate

Old 10-10-2009, 12:07 AM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 40187
Help needed XD .40 Goes from Accurate to Inaccurate

Hi i just purchased an xd .40 a few months ago. I shot it a number of times and it was great. Then cleaned it for the first time. Then took it shooting and it was great for a magazine or two's worth of rounds and then it lost accuracy.

I found that it was shooting at 15 yards about 6 inches to the left of where i was aiming. No idea how this happened. The gun is in great shape. It has the fixed top sights. I am usually a pretty decent shot and so when it started i immediately noticed a difference.

Ammo i use is the federal brass ammo from walmart. I tried taking the barrel out and re-mounting it along with the recoil spring. Still shooting to the left. Any help would be appreciated.
wuzuprad is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-10-2009, 01:01 AM   #2
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 21184
Are the sights loose or off-center?
Barrel is good? No fouling or crud between rifling and such?. Maybe a bad batch of ammo also, try some other walmart ammo like the blazer or winchester white box stuff and see if it's any different. Other than that, no idea.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

When the Government fears the people, there is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
. When the people
the Government, there is tyranny.
- Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by nothingness; 10-10-2009 at 01:06 AM.
nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 01:46 AM   #3
XDTalk Newbie

sights seem to be solid in place and ok. As i said i had just cleaned the gun for the first time since buying it and the barrel was clear and still is looking pretty good. Barrel and rifleing looks good... (the gun probably has about 5 or 600 rounds through it total) im as confused as you are as to why it goes left about the same distance every time. I was hoping someone had ran into the problem before and i just missed something or theres a easy fix. Thanks for the reply though
Old 10-10-2009, 02:05 AM   #4
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 37792
Because you're too far to the right? Kidding... Barrel obstruction sounds feasible. Been firing any unjacketed rounds that could have left lead behind?
Old 10-10-2009, 02:27 AM   #5
XDTalk Newbie

thanks for the suggestion... but ya i took the thing apart again when it started shooting funny and checked it all out for debris and that sort of stuff. The whole thing looks pretty clean. So ya thats why im at a loss...
Old 10-10-2009, 02:49 AM   #6
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 39578
Did you clean the barrel from the chamber or muzzle end? If you cleaned from the muzzle end...Is there any damage to the barrel at the edge of the bore?
FrankC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 03:31 AM   #7
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 23028
I'd give it a good cleaning and inspection again, and if everything looks fine then buy some different ammo and go back to the range. Shoot off of a rest, really taking your time with each shot. If it still shoots left then there might be a problem with the gun that needs to be addressed, and if not it was probably just the ammo or you were just having one of those days.

You might also want to check out the target in post #5 of this thread....

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/general...un-target.html

Good luck.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:45 AM   #8
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 7648
Trigger control with a bit of grip thrown in the mix.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:58 AM   #9
XDTalk Newbie

Well i will have to try using a rest just to be sure its not me, but as i had said before ive shot the gun a number of times and its always been dead on until today. I dont think i was doing anything different shooting wise but it was clearly about 6 inches to the left consistently after going through a few magazines. My friend shot it too and he had the same problem. When i did clean it i used gun cleaning kit with a what looks like brass wire .40 brush (or perhaps its copper idk, it just came in the gun cleaning kit) I ran it through from chamber end and all the way out and then back through the muzzle end with some remington 3 in 1 powder remover/lubricant/protective barrel cleaner stuff. The whole gun is really clean and looks really quite good and is pretty new still, which is why i got a bit worried. The XD is supposed to be built to last. Anywho thanks all for the many suggestions. Ill probably take it again out tomorrow and use a rest and see if it is any different.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:12 AM   #10
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 39578
Either you forgot how to squeeze your trigger then or the rear sight is shifted.
FrankC is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

accuracy

Search tags for this page

40 xds inaccurate

how accurite i xd 40
inaccurate
inaccurate xd
why is my xd .40 so inaccurate
why is my xd innaccurate?
xd .40 not accurate

xd 40 inaccurate

xd 40 not accurate
xd 40 not shooting aciratley
xd-40 inaccurate
xd-40 not accurate

xd40 not accurate

xds not accurate
Click on a term to search for related topics.