• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

rit dye for gunstock help! please

This is a discussion on rit dye for gunstock help! please within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; ok so ive seen a few people do the rit dye thing to their stocks and i want to do it to my charger stock, ...

Old 09-25-2009, 02:57 AM   #1
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 26172
rit dye for gunstock help! please

ok so ive seen a few people do the rit dye thing to their stocks and i want to do it to my charger stock,

but i havent been able to find ANY info on exactly how to do it.

is there a write up somewhere or can anyone give me some guidence?

thanks

I haven't stopped believing in god. I just stopped beliving he cares. There might be a god, there might not, but i dont think it matters. Either way were on our own.-Jace Wayland

If you want to polish your barrel click the link below

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
sourpatch45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-25-2009, 07:02 AM   #2
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 12549
I remember reading somewhere that they use denatured alcohol and mix the rit dye with it. Then "paint" it on with a foam brush, let it soak and then wipe it off.
Ske1etor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:25 AM   #3
XDTalk Member

Member #: 17577
Thumbs up

The rit dye powder is pretty grainy, so you need to grind it up smooth so it will mix well with the alcohol. I bought a cheapie electric coffee grinder from Goodwill. Works perfectly.
Being alcohol based, the stain soaks into the stock very quickly and works well. Pick up cocoa brown and dark brown. The cocoa has a red tinge to it.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:20 AM   #4
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 28226
I've seen some good threads on the subject, including pictures, over at The AK Forum. You'll need to register to see the forum. There's also a Refinishing forum in the Armory section of AR15.Com, though I've never looked at it.
Mad Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:21 AM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 37844
this may not be helpful to you at all as i don't know what color you want or what your stock is made of but black rit dyes deep purple on plastic.
Softy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:29 AM   #6
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 34944
Why not just use stain?
RichJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:09 PM   #7
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 12109
Credit for this goes to someone else, I don't remember who though. When I saw it I copied it to a word .doc. IIRC the guy had bought some UN blue handguards cheap and was dying them.

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CAaron%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsoh tml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Verdana; panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:536871559 0 0 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->"Yep...works like a charm. I have dyed complete HK polymer rifles using RIT dye. Gray USC carbines and gray SL8 rifles look much better in BLACK!!!!

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CAaron%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsoh tml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Verdana; panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:536871559 0 0 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->3 bottles of black liquid RIT Dye mixed with 1 bottle of dark green. Get a cheap plastic or styro cooler for a few bucks. Boil several pots of water. While boiling, wash the handguards well in the kitchen sink with dish soap and a sponge. After rinsing thoroughly and drying them off, drop the handguards in the cooler and then pour in enough boiling water to cover them.

After making sure the handguards are submerged, dump in the dye and stir. Put the lid on the cooler to keep crap from drop into it (especially if you are doing this outside) and to keep the heat in the cooler. Stir again an hour later (and once an hour until done), flipping the handguards over/around to ensure they are getting even coloration. Total time in the dye will vary, but probably not less than 3 hours and maybe closer to 5/6 hours.

When done, pull out the handguards, rinse them off in the sink in cold water and then dry with paper towel. Should be a permanent black dye job that won't scratch off, rub off, etc."
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps."
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Ajcrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:15 PM   #8
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 24239
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourpatch45 View Post
ok so ive seen a few people do the rit dye thing to their stocks and i want to do it to my charger stock,

but i havent been able to find ANY info on exactly how to do it.

is there a write up somewhere or can anyone give me some guidence?

thanks
I use 91% rubbing alcohol. I make a mixture of what ever colors I want. I usually buy a brown red amber yellow tan (lt brown) and just mix till i get what I want. I use the inside of the stock to test. Just finish sand clean with pure rubbing alcohol then make first layer of dye. Ok the powder stuff works great just shake it real well and maybe let it sit for an hour. Work slow get what you want then cover with BLO or varnish of your choice!

"The dirty little secret about freedom is, you're on your own." - Clarence Thomas

"Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle

"My friends we live in the greatest nation in the history world. I hope you will join with me as we try to change it." - Barack Hussein Obama
tallmanis67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page

dye gun stock

dye rifle stock blue

dying gun stocks

green dye for a rifle stock

gun stock dye

how to color a gun stock

rit dye gun stock

rit dye on birch m14 stocks ?

rit dye polymer gun

share your rit dye know how on birch wood stocks ?
stain colors for gun stocks
what color rit dye for ak47 stock
Click on a term to search for related topics.