• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Costs on having a well dug?

This is a discussion on Costs on having a well dug? within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; I recently moved to a new house out in the country and would like to have a well put in/dug. It isn't cost effective for ...

Old 08-16-2009, 04:26 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 23065
Costs on having a well dug?

I recently moved to a new house out in the country and would like to have a well put in/dug. It isn't cost effective for me to water livestock/water the yard and garden with my rural water. Anybody have any ideas about basic costs and requirements to get this project completed?
sinistersixguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-16-2009, 04:30 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 25246
I dont know about where you live. But where I live it is something 20+ dollars a foot (last time I checked). It depends on the rock and such you live on. My well is 490 feet deep, and produces the best water I have ever tasted.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:30 PM   #3
Cat Herder

Member #: 4
I'm in central Missouri, and I paid $7000.00, all inclusive. I'm down 460 feet.
This was about 10 years ago.

"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - John Quincy Adams

"The giving to others in need is my right and indeed, my privilage. It is NOT however, my obligation." - Frenchy~2011

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:31 PM   #4
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 34520
it all depends on depth. might want to ask some neibors, or the well drillers will have a rough idea. wild guess is $5k, but that is a very wild guess.
Groo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:33 PM   #5
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 31460
anywhere from $4000 to $10000, depending on depth.

Save a Greyhound. Adopt one.
community is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:54 PM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 15845
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistersixguns View Post
I recently moved to a new house out in the country and would like to have a well put in/dug. It isn't cost effective for me to water livestock/water the yard and garden with my rural water. Anybody have any ideas about basic costs and requirements to get this project completed?
It depends how deep they need to go as to the cost to set the well. Then depending on the quality of the water they hit will depend on whether you need to treat it or not.

We have two wells on our property, both put in before we bought the place.
One of our wells is not in use, they didn't go deep enough and hit some stinky sulphur water.
The second well has the best water I ever tasted. I used to drink it untreated, but discovered the water is fairly high in mineral content. I recently installed a water softener ($400 for a high usage model) to reduce the mineral content - the water was great, but over a short period of time (3 months or less) all the sinks, bathtubs, toilets, shower stall etc would get a build up of calcium that was thick enough to be broken off in large pieces. The water softener fixed that.
Next I discovered the garden sprinkers, automatic watering troughs, would stop working after 6 or so months - I found the water softener removed calcium but not other sediment. So I installed two sediment filters ($40 each), one filters the water going to the house and other the water we have out to the pastures.

We have a reverse osmosis system I installed under the kitchen sink ($299), that makes the water virtually 100% pure (which results in it having no taste) - I prefer the water from the faucet, but better still the water from the pasture faucet which is just fresh out of the ground.

So, like I said, it can be a little more than just digging a well and getting your water. It may or may not need treatment to ensure your not replacing plumbing due to the water quality. The figures I quoted are for DIY, and not for having them installed for you - all are very easy to fit yourself though.

Don't forget to install a backflow valve if you T in to the cities water supply with your well.

Last edited by uk_pony; 08-16-2009 at 04:56 PM.
uk_pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:07 PM   #7
Cat Herder

Member #: 4
The makeup of the soil your drilling through may have an impact.

"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - John Quincy Adams

"The giving to others in need is my right and indeed, my privilage. It is NOT however, my obligation." - Frenchy~2011

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:25 PM   #8
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 26558
the house i grew up in we only had well water option. it was 18 years ago and it cost my family 7500 bucks to dig it. The well ended up being close to 800 or so feet deep. Also there are different kind of wells. some you have to have a pump on and have no natural pressure, forgot the name of them. There is also a natually pressurized ones called artesian(sp) wells. The well at the famly's house is an artesian well and we have a pump, but don't need it. The water is so pure at the house that we have a sediment filter and thats it. No to very low mineral content in the water and its the best water i have had all of my life. Only issue with artesian wells, is sometimes they hit one that has way too much pressure. One of the neighbors hit one and they spent a week sealing it off. Was a freaking water spout till they could get it sealed off.

I might have guns, i might not. I can't seem to remember.

Rule #1 Cover your ass first!!!!
Rule #2 Make sure you survive the day.

MOΛΩN ΛAB
godseviltwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:49 PM   #9
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 18081
I started drilling a well but my neighbors in the apartment below me got pissed off!

Actually this is a timely question, I am looking to buy some land for a cabin in West Virginia and was wondering the same thing. Septic is my next question!
Old 08-16-2009, 07:10 PM   #10
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 22304
septic system will be about 7-10K for the tank and drain field .Depending how its done of course, above ground with the ugly berm deal, or completely under the ground, some of that question will be determined by the ground makeup, the rest will be what you are willing to spend.
zWarlord is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page
cost to have well dug

dug well cost

how much do artesian wells cost
how much does it cost to drill a water well in wv
how much does it cost to drill a water well west virginia
how much does it cost to get a well dug in missouri
how much does it cost to have 20 foot well dug
how much does it cost to have a water well dug in texas

how much does it cost to have a well dug

how much to have a well put in
how to get a well dug
how to pay to get well dug
Click on a term to search for related topics.