• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

How hard is it to get a Class A CDL?

This is a discussion on How hard is it to get a Class A CDL? within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; Hello there, An opportunity for a position of interest has opened up at my work. The position requires I obtain a Class A CDL witihin ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box » How hard is it to get a Class A CDL?

Old 07-21-2009, 05:59 PM   #1
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 20986
How hard is it to get a Class A CDL?

Hello there,

An opportunity for a position of interest has opened up at my work. The position requires I obtain a Class A CDL witihin 6 months of starting.

I am more than willing do it because I really want the position.

How hard is it to get? If I memorize the book, and show adequacy in driving a commercial vehicle, am I good?
Bow Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-21-2009, 06:06 PM   #2
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 33037
I am actually in process for getting mine in Co. I dont know your state laws, but here you take the written test (memorize the book) for each endorsement you want/need. Tanker, doubles/triples (trailers), etc. and this gets you the instruction license.

Once you have the instruction license (learning permit) you can drive w/ a licensed driver over 21. After you feel comfortable, you take a driving test where you have to parallel park and do a bunch of other stuff (including road driving) with your rig (thats right, parallel park a dump truck and trailer).

Hope that helps.
carhartt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:10 PM   #3
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 25199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock Killer View Post
Hello there,

An opportunity for a position of interest has opened up at my work. The position requires I obtain a Class A CDL witihin 6 months of starting.

I am more than willing do it because I really want the position.

How hard is it to get? If I memorize the book, and show adequacy in driving a commercial vehicle, am I good?
You can easily do it within 6 mos.
You do have to study though.
Regards, Pete
pbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:12 PM   #4
XDTalk 1K Member

Whoa, parallel park a big rig. I suck at doing that with my Ranger.

Luckily they will allow me to practice a lot before hand.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:14 PM   #5
XDTalk 1K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbass View Post
You can easily do it within 6 mos.
You do have to study though.
Regards, Pete

Thanks Pete. I will definitely hit the book hardcore.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:27 PM   #6
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 4352
The Class A CDL written test is not that hard, but you do need to study.

The thing most people have a hard time with is backing up a truck and trailer. If you have a 2 wheel trailer of any sort at all I suggest you spend time practicing backing that trailer up until it becomes second nature before you take the driving test. Learn to back a trailer in a straight line for 100', do a 45 degree "alley dock" (both left and right) and back around a street corner (both left and right).

The other thing to learn is everything possible about your truck/trailer combination. That includes coupling/uncoupling, brake system (including brake caging), jacks stands, etc.

There are truck driving schools out there if you feel you need one, but it is possible to learn on your own.

Every endorsement on your license is another test and some are more difficult than others, but each one can bring more work and better pay.
"For those of us who exercised our privilege to serve our country, I can honestly say we did it proudly and shared a common bond of patriotism that those who were unwilling to answer our country's call will never understand or appreciate." - Dennis Foell
gsh341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:28 PM   #7
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 33037
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsh341 View Post

The thing most people have a hard time with is backing up a truck and trailer. If you have a 2 wheel trailer of any sort at all I suggest you spend time practicing backing that trailer up until it becomes second nature before you take the driving test. Learn to back a trailer in a straight line for 100', do a 45 degree "alley dock" (both left and right) and back around a street corner (both left and right).

The other thing to learn is everything possible about your truck/trailer combination. That includes coupling/uncoupling, brake system (including brake caging), jacks stands, etc.

There are truck driving schools out there if you feel you need one, but it is possible to learn on your own.
+1, and I hear the pre-trip inspection is the toughest part.
carhartt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:30 PM   #8
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 4352
Quote:
Originally Posted by carhartt View Post
+1, and I hear the pre-trip inspection is the toughest part.
Not really too bad, unless your tester is a real jerk.
"For those of us who exercised our privilege to serve our country, I can honestly say we did it proudly and shared a common bond of patriotism that those who were unwilling to answer our country's call will never understand or appreciate." - Dennis Foell
gsh341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:32 PM   #9
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 34520
I got mine close to 8 years ago. I'd definatly take a course, even if you can drive the trucks around at work. While you may learn to drive, it wont teach you to pass the tests.

my school was a month long, you could go afternoons, or just on the weekends (2 months maybe)

most places want you to go throught the school too because it counts as 6 months of experience for insurance

school prices vary widely, $2500 - $12000 when I was looking.

If you can do a weekend school, and screw around with the truck during the week, you'll be so far above you classmates, it'll blow your mind. Your new job may have a program with a school too.

ps. I aced the pre-trip (got all 115 points). nobody in my class failed it.

Last edited by Groo; 07-21-2009 at 06:34 PM. Reason: to brag
Groo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:35 PM   #10
XDTalk 1K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsh341 View Post

Every endorsement on your license is another test and some are more difficult than others, but each one can bring more work and better pay.
Thanks GSH, that's great advice. My ol' man has a two wheel trailer I will practice with. I have used it a few times but wasn't in the state of mind of "perfecting" maneuvers with it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page

how hard is it to get a class a cdl

how hard is it to get a class a license

how hard is it to get class a cdl
how hard is it to get your cdl
how hard is it to get your class a cdl
how hard is the class a cdl test
how hard to get class a cdl
is class a license hard to get
is getting a cdl hard
is it hard to get a cdl class a
is it hard to get cdl
is it hard to get your cdl
is it hard to get your class a cdl
is it hard to get your class a license
is the cdl test hard
is the cdl written test hard
Click on a term to search for related topics.