• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

homemade shooting range... whats it take???

This is a discussion on homemade shooting range... whats it take??? within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; well, this is a question that i am sure many of us have wondered about in the past... and i have googled, and googled some ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box » homemade shooting range... whats it take???

Old 01-31-2006, 02:40 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 8140
homemade shooting range... whats it take???

well, this is a question that i am sure many of us have wondered about in the past...

and i have googled, and googled some more to no avail...

taking into consideration how far a bullet can travel, ricochet, and lord only knows what else...

what would you guys say is needed to make a LEGAL & SAFE gunrange at home???

how much distance would you need between you and any other homes or places where people may be, to allow for stray bullets... what would you use as a backstop??? mother earth would be best but what else would be a good bullet stopper???

i would love do do something like this, but i would want it to be ABSOLUTLEY safe for not only myslef and others using the range, but others folks around the area too...

is it even doable??? i mean, lots of people go out to someones back field and shoot at cans & stuff... but i have always worried about how far any stray bullet might go... to me, it doesnt seem safe to shoot at cans in a field with a treeline behind it...

remember, one of the 4 cardinal rules is be sure of your target AS WELL AS WHAT IS BEHIND IT...

how can folks justify shooting in a direction where there are woods downrange... there could be people in those woods for gods sake!!!

but this is something i would want to be completely safe...

could you dig a pit, line the top where the ground is, making a complete horseshoe with tires filled with dirt, so that you are about 10 feet or more below the top of the tire backstop and that be legal??? what about any bullets that for who knows what reason might go over the top of your backstop???

are there any places on the web for finding laws governing such things???
Old 01-31-2006, 02:50 PM   #2
Official Site Vendor

Member #: 2714
The NRA has documents that will give you direction on how to do it correctly. It all starts with the ability to have a range on you property. I would also recommend a multi-million dollar umbrella on your home owner's insurance.
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 02:53 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
The NRA has documents that will give you direction on how to do it correctly. It all starts with the ability to have a range on you property. I would also recommend a multi-million dollar umbrella on your home owner's insurance.
thanks old school... i doubt that this is even something i could do any time soon... but i have always wondered what the requirements (both room and cost wise) would be to do such a thing.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:54 PM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

found it!! NRA info... reading it now... thanks agian
Old 01-31-2006, 03:02 PM   #5
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 5545
Well, U need to take into account state law - even if you set up some dirt mounds to act as a back stop - you have to own a certain amt of acerage and be a certain distance from others - this varies state to state - I do not remember the specifics, but Texas law has some rules on this. The NRA stuff will tell U how to do it - look into state law 1st to see if U can

Here, if I have enough property and wanna spend a few dollars on a back stop, I can shoot all I want.
shipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 04:18 PM   #6
XDTalk Member

Member #: 5484
deaf neighbors helps im sure
Luxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 06:34 PM   #7
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 6868
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1972
found it!! NRA info... reading it now... thanks agian
where's the link for that?

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
- Sir George Bernard Shaw

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
phaetos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 07:01 PM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 5202
Their was a post a while back with a link to the ultimate home range. It looked like the guy lived in Alaska somewhere had an extension to his house that had an indoor pistol rane, like 3 or four presses setup and ready to go, and windows that overlooked his own 300 yard outdoow range. He could shoot, reload the round, than shoot again almost with out moving.
packing_in_la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:06 PM   #9
XDTalk Member

Member #: 8089
If it is your land and there are no local ordenances against it ( they are usualy -no shooting on less than____acres, In Texas they are only in some countys and towns) then build a berm or dirt pile and start shooting. If you just target shoot from a fixed distance then one pile will do( 6' - 12' high with nothing higher than your pile in the background) If you want to practise ISPC type shooting you need a horse shoe shaped berm 8-10 foot high. Keep your targets close to the backstop to decrease any flyers getting past the berm.

If you don't believe in a need for a good backstop then find a long shooting lane in the woods and fire a tracer at a 100yd paper target. A 308 tracer will juke and jive all over the place. The one I saw bounced off grass, trees, and a fence post about five different hits and dirrection changes in all out to about 450yds!
gunslinger308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:22 PM   #10
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 6823
That kinda depends on the situation is it for private use??? How about public use??? If you were outside of any Fed, Local, State laws and had enough property to do so saftelty and was for personel use, Who could tell you NO? However if you involved Joe Q public I bet there would be some dealing with getting permits from the local, state, fed level which would possibly mean the EPA. I am thinking lead would be their biggest concern.

OOOhhhhhhh Yea by the way Insurance... That might cost a little, Not sure what the going rate is but I am sure it is more monthly than most of us pay yearly for our insurance expenses.

From what I have found talking with a range owner and looking through the web you might be better funding a NASCAR team.

Maybe not that extreme.

Force and mind are opposites; morality ends where a gun begins.

O
ne Big A$$ Mistake America

xd4life is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page
home made gun range
home made outdoor shooting range
home made shooting gallies setups
home made shooting range

homemade gun range

homemade indoor shooting range

homemade shooting range

homemade target range
how to build a homemade gun range
how to build a target range at home nra
how to make a homemade shooting range
rifle range, homemade
Click on a term to search for related topics.