• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

homemade shooting range... whats it take???

This is a discussion on homemade shooting range... whats it take??? within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; Originally Posted by phaetos Originally Posted by mike1972 found it!! NRA info... reading it now... thanks agian where's the link for that? here ya go ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box » homemade shooting range... whats it take???

Old 01-31-2006, 10:40 PM   #11
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 8140
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaetos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1972
found it!! NRA info... reading it now... thanks agian
where's the link for that?
here ya go phaetos...

http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/sourcebook.asp
Old 01-31-2006, 10:44 PM   #12
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 8140
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger308
If it is your land and there are no local ordenances against it ( they are usualy -no shooting on less than____acres, In Texas they are only in some countys and towns) then build a berm or dirt pile and start shooting. If you just target shoot from a fixed distance then one pile will do( 6' - 12' high with nothing higher than your pile in the background) If you want to practise ISPC type shooting you need a horse shoe shaped berm 8-10 foot high. Keep your targets close to the backstop to decrease any flyers getting past the berm.

If you don't believe in a need for a good backstop then find a long shooting lane in the woods and fire a tracer at a 100yd paper target. A 308 tracer will juke and jive all over the place. The one I saw bounced off grass, trees, and a fence post about five different hits and dirrection changes in all out to about 450yds!
i remember when i was growing up, my stepdad would take me out in our back fields (we lived on a descent size piece of land and borded horses and cattle for a few folks) and we would shoot out there...

but even as a small kid, i would always wonder to myslef how far those bullets could actually go... im sure that you are right about insurance costing a small fortune, lol... i am looking into ohio laws to see what is needed land wise to be able to shoot on your own property... if ya can still even do it these days that is.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:17 AM   #13
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 4480
i was talking to a range owner who said that only 3 companies carry range insurance and they obviously have a strangle hold on it, so the premiums are very very high.
thirdtimesthecharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 09:54 PM   #14
XDTalk Member

Member #: 8089
Dirt is the best and most cost effective back stop. Talk to the local sheriff's office about shooting on your land and the type of precautions to take. ( DO NOT TELL THEM WHO YOU ARE.... just incase they are gun hatin' pricks!!!!) They should give you the info you need. If they say it is not advisable, then make sure you research the laws and ordinences to see if it is( sometimes they tell you info that goes along with thier own beliefs regardless of what the law says) In my part of Texas any land owner can shoot on thier own land, not across other's land or county/state roads. The state leaves the choice of backstop or how the range is setup to the indevidual. Use common sense and think about gun safety. How far do you wish to shoot? The farther away the bigger your backstop needs to be.
gunslinger308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 10:10 PM   #15
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 6153
Quote:
Originally Posted by packing_in_la
Their was a post a while back with a link to the ultimate home range. It looked like the guy lived in Alaska somewhere had an extension to his house that had an indoor pistol rane, like 3 or four presses setup and ready to go, and windows that overlooked his own 300 yard outdoow range. He could shoot, reload the round, than shoot again almost with out moving.
http://forums.sixgunner.com/m_27446/..._/tm.htm#27446

That one?

I don't bookmark many things, but I had to save that one.

jonas
Old 04-25-2006, 12:23 PM   #16
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 6413
Holy crap! Yeah, that's the one I thought of when someone asked about the older post on the ultimate home range.

Sweeeeet setup there. Ain't no topping that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Daily carry = XD-9 service in a Blackhawk CQC SERPA holster, a Spyderco Native, and a Streamlight Scorpion.

"You have to be prepared to do the violence in order to survive the violence." [CQC Instructor]

A person has the right to keep and bear arms for the defense of self, family, home and State, and for hunting and recreational use. [Delaware Constitution, Article I, 20 Right to keep and bear arms]
dave_in_delaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 01:24 PM   #17
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 8316
I've wondered this myself. Some friends of mine have a large piece of land (2,000 acres) that is fenced in on all sides with no trespassing signs at all entrances. There is a bulletin board at the main entrance once you get inside the gate for letting others know you are there. We have shot skeet out there, and pistols a few times. I asked the person about if for some awful reason someone was in the woods and was hit by a stray. The response was that they are legally allowed to shoot on his land since it is so far from the nearest houses, and that he always shoots in this one area b/c there is a large tree-lined hill that he uses as a backstop. He said that he would feel bad if a trespasser was shot, but that if they climbed over the barbed-wire fencing surrounding the property, and trespassed this far back into his land (several hundred yards), hearing gunshots repeatedly, and didn't leave, then he wouldn't feel too bad about it b/c they were not supposed to be there in the first place. The main reason for the land is for hunting and camping, and the shooting set-up is pretty nice. There's a pair of clay throwers, and an area for target stands. It is probably 200 yards long for the rifles.
bham shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 01:31 PM   #18
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 6413
OK, is there ANYONE on this board who lives near me that has a lot of land and wouldn't mind if I and my fiancee came over to shoot? Heck, I'll bring the food, dessert, drinks, whatever for afterwards!

I'm so jealous of all you lots-o-land owners.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Daily carry = XD-9 service in a Blackhawk CQC SERPA holster, a Spyderco Native, and a Streamlight Scorpion.

"You have to be prepared to do the violence in order to survive the violence." [CQC Instructor]

A person has the right to keep and bear arms for the defense of self, family, home and State, and for hunting and recreational use. [Delaware Constitution, Article I, 20 Right to keep and bear arms]
dave_in_delaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:27 PM   #19
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 8642
Quote:
Originally Posted by bham shooter
I've wondered this myself. Some friends of mine have a large piece of land (2,000 acres) that is fenced in on all sides with no trespassing signs at all entrances. There is a bulletin board at the main entrance once you get inside the gate for letting others know you are there. We have shot skeet out there, and pistols a few times. I asked the person about if for some awful reason someone was in the woods and was hit by a stray. The response was that they are legally allowed to shoot on his land since it is so far from the nearest houses, and that he always shoots in this one area b/c there is a large tree-lined hill that he uses as a backstop. He said that he would feel bad if a trespasser was shot, but that if they climbed over the barbed-wire fencing surrounding the property, and trespassed this far back into his land (several hundred yards), hearing gunshots repeatedly, and didn't leave, then he wouldn't feel too bad about it b/c they were not supposed to be there in the first place. The main reason for the land is for hunting and camping, and the shooting set-up is pretty nice. There's a pair of clay throwers, and an area for target stands. It is probably 200 yards long for the rifles.
Too bad it doesn't really work this way. If the guy lives, he would probably win a civil suit against you and clean you out. If he dies, his family can do the same. Welcome to the good 'ol USA, where YOU are responsible for other people's actions!
east_stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:53 PM   #20
XDTalk Member

Member #: 8649
Quote:
Originally Posted by east_stingray
...Welcome to the good 'ol USA, where YOU are responsible for other people's actions!
ain't it great?

i shoot from time to time out at my inlaw's 8 acre place out country. i shoot into the side of a small hill out back.

no complaints from neighbors so far...then again, alot of the neighbors are doing the same on their property.

but i have often wondered, would a ricochet maitain enough ballistic trajectory & integrity to reach the property 1/2 mile beyond and on the other side of the woods??

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page
diy chronograph for shooting
home made gun range
home made range
home made shooting range

homemade gun range

homemade indoor shooting range
homemade outdoor gun ranges
homemade pistol range ideas pics

homemade shooting range

homemade target range
how to build a bullet backstop
how to build a homemade gun range
how to make a homemade shooting range
how to make a target range
pictures of home built shooting ranges
simple homemade shooting range
Click on a term to search for related topics.