• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

What are the first items to go in a SHTF/disaster scenario?

This is a discussion on What are the first items to go in a SHTF/disaster scenario? within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; Looking at that list, I only see one item I would change. A cook stove ... Screw that propane crap. Get a multi-fuel stove that ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box » What are the first items to go in a SHTF/disaster scenario?

Old 06-10-2009, 09:12 AM   #11
XDTalk 35K Member

Member #: 15886
Looking at that list, I only see one item I would change.

A cook stove ... Screw that propane crap.
Get a multi-fuel stove that will operate on white gas, gasoline, and kerosene.

Find one of these, or something like it
Coleman / exponent Multi-Fuel Stove 550B725

Coleman - Multi-Fuel Stove -

Operates on ... Coleman® liquid fuel, unleaded gasoline, or kerosene

They are on Ebay all the time for about $30 ... Buy 2 or 3 !!
AZXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-10-2009, 09:21 AM   #12
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 24424
Money!!!!!
Old 06-10-2009, 09:22 AM   #13
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 31460
Cans and cans of baked beans. cant get enough.

Save a Greyhound. Adopt one.
community is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:32 AM   #14
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 18081
I think you have a good start, it depends on the emergency. Think out each situation, really imagine it actually happening. RIGHT NOW you look out the window and see a bright flash, what would you do? "Oh I meant to have a Get Home Bag...Oh I meant to put water in the car....Oh I meant to buy X-Y-Z" Too Late!!!

If it is something like a natural weather disaster people see coming often generators and emergency weather radios fly off the shelves. Something you would not think of....extension cords. I read a report from a guy who rode out Hurricane Katrina and he said for weeks after he couldn't get one of those.

Bioterrorism would cause Home Depot to be out of plastic sheets and duct tape to cover windows. Look how fast it sold out in about 2003 when the director of homeland security (I think Tom Ridge at the time) said people ought to have some on hand to seal up there homes. They later retracted it after people paniced.

Related to bioterrorism a flu pandemic as we almost faced and might still face with Swine flu which caused protective masks to sell out in some places. Stuff like this you should buy now!

I just this week finally got around to buying large durable water storage containers...AND filled them.

This all costs money but if you buy a little at a time based off a prioritized list you'll get there in no time.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:14 AM   #15
XDTalk Member

Member #: 34827
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZXD View Post
Looking at that list, I only see one item I would change.

A cook stove ... Screw that propane crap.
Get a multi-fuel stove that will operate on white gas, gasoline, and kerosene.

Find one of these, or something like it
Coleman / exponent Multi-Fuel Stove 550B725

Coleman - Multi-Fuel Stove -

Operates on ... Coleman® liquid fuel, unleaded gasoline, or kerosene

They are on Ebay all the time for about $30 ... Buy 2 or 3 !!
Yep something like that is a good idea...and I was thinking of one of those coleman multifuel lanterns to go with the system. There are several difference power sources to choose from...the main 3 being fuel, propane, and electric. Electric is out, because it requires (most of the time) the grid, propane may not be as available (and apparently those canisters sell out quick as well) as well as inefficient, but if you can use the white gas found in stores/siphon gas from a vehicle, that opens up the options quite a bit.

Do you guys find those giant water containers somewhere specific? I asssume your talking about the hard plastic ones? I've got a few collapsable ones for my mobile kit.

I agree with a lot of what you guys are saying. Seems like that old addage with guns applies here as well..."the best SHTF kit is the one that you have on you/can grab at the time"
Red Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:51 AM   #16
ADA
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 28660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
Yep something like that is a good idea...and I was thinking of one of those coleman multifuel lanterns to go with the system. There are several difference power sources to choose from...the main 3 being fuel, propane, and electric. Electric is out, because it requires (most of the time) the grid, propane may not be as available (and apparently those canisters sell out quick as well) as well as inefficient, but if you can use the white gas found in stores/siphon gas from a vehicle, that opens up the options quite a bit.

Do you guys find those giant water containers somewhere specific? I asssume your talking about the hard plastic ones? I've got a few collapsable ones for my mobile kit.

I agree with a lot of what you guys are saying. Seems like that old addage with guns applies here as well..."the best SHTF kit is the one that you have on you/can grab at the time"
Just went through this during a severe ice storm. Propane canisters disappear overnight so propane is out. Kerosene or multi-fuel is the way to go. Lanterns and stoves also are gone in a day or two. If you need a heat source and don't already have one (wood stove, gas fireplace) you should consider a kerosene heater or two cause you won't find any in an emergency. One thing a lot of people don't think about are fuel containers. You have to have some way to transport and store your kerosene or gas and fuel cans will disappear almost instantly.

Of course generators sell out right away too so if you think you need one you should have it before a disaster strikes.
"The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.'" -Ken Konecki
ADA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:03 AM   #17
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 32926
first thing i am doing. depends on the problem. either which way giving the problem my wife or selling her. then i will be good to go.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:54 AM   #18
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 23189
During disaster recovery a gun, in my experiences, has only been good for defense. Meaning I have it and I have the needed ammo. No need to worry about it anymore.

You'll need batteries, a generator, chainsaw, gas, canned food, ice, important paper work, plenty of water, medicines, vitamins, change of undies and socks, flashlights, a way to cook as mentioned above, forms of entertainment, food for your pets, hand held radio, and in my case baby supplies(diapers, creams, medicines, baby food, dry milk, powders, etc...).

Or to put it this way, my bug-out-bag did not make the trip with us when evacuating for the last couple of hurricanes.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:11 PM   #19
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 23112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Relay View Post
Very true!

I've tried to keep it limited to things that don't rely on complicate technology, and provided the basics ... i.e. food, water, shelter, protection/defense.

My bugout bag just has enough to keep me going for about a month ... i.e. long enough to reach safety and stability.

Bugout bag has food, water, tools to make fire and shelter, first aid kit, ammo. I also have specific guns to carry. The bag's weight is less than 50lbs. The gun weighs less than 10lbs. Also have some sturdy boots and clothing. This is in case I end up on foot.

I'm still working on the "hunker down" preparedness, but have food, water, and ammo, heat resources and fuel (for winter) stockpiled to last at least 1 month right now. I'm working on getting enough together to last for longer periods.

Bottom line ... you can't stockpile enough to last forever. So, you better also have somewhere to go or be that will provide a stable environment conducive to survival.Whether that be a government run shelter, family farm, cabin in the woods, fortress in the city, or whatever.

Also, unless an asteroid hits, order will eventually be restored. Whether it takes days, months, or years is the problem, and you better have enough wits about you to be flexible and able to adjust to circumstances...
Just curious, what are you using for heat resources and fuel? I have a bunch of those Sterno cans they use to keep buffet foods hot, but are they any good for actually COOKING food? Maybe slow-cooking only...

I always have 3 full propane tanks for the grill, but I think we forget - everything in the fridge will spoil pretty fast if we don't have any electricity... Let's face it, we're a pretty technology-dependent society. If we're reduced to a 3rd world situation, most people have no clue how to operate without the modern conveniences. Of course, generators are nice, but hopefully you have a LOT of gasoline. Depending on how long it lasts, raiders will be killing for gasoline (ala Road Warrior).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Last edited by GreenBayShooter; 06-10-2009 at 12:21 PM.
GreenBayShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:34 PM   #20
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 16572
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBayShooter View Post
Just curious, what are you using for heat resources and fuel? I have a bunch of those sSterno cans they use to keep buffet foods hot, but are they any good for actually COOKING food? Maybe slow-cooking only...
Wood, and charcoal

I have a small hatchet for chopping/splitting wood, and fire starting devices (flint lighter, lighter fluid, matches, small fresnel lens, and paper) in the backpack for starting camp fires, etc. I'll do my cooking over a camp fire if on the road, or in the bar-b-que at home.

The food I have in the backpack is primarily energy bars, trail mix, and vitamins. I'm not figuring on doing a lot of cooking, if I'm on the road. Just live off water, granola, and vitamins until I get to a more stable area. I'll make fires primarily for warmth.

Have a wood burning stove in the house, which can also double as a cook stove. Also have a propane furnace for short term use for heating the house.

We have rice and beans stockpiled. As well as, powdered milk, canned goods, and some freeze dried meals for eating if we stay at home.

Radio Relay is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page
37 things to hoard in disaster

41 foods to hoard

first things to fly off the shelves in an emergency
how fast we run out of things in time of disaster
in a disaster what items fly of the shelf
last trip to store before disaster what would you buy
most sold out items after a disaster strikes
the first things to go out during an emergency is
things to hoard in a disaster
top 10 foods that sell out in disaster
top thing hoard prior to pisaster
what is the best things to hoard
what is the first thing to sell out of stores in a disaster
what items sell out first after a disaster
what sales out first in a disaster
what to hoard incase of an emergency
Click on a term to search for related topics.