• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

glass like clear coat?

This is a discussion on glass like clear coat? within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; ok so im working on a 10/22 charger project and i want a really smooth glass like clear coat on top of the paint.... ive ...

Old 05-20-2009, 12:57 PM   #1
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 26172
glass like clear coat?

ok so im working on a 10/22 charger project and i want a really smooth glass like clear coat on top of the paint.... ive tried sanding one really smooth and doing tons of thin coats (with letting it dry between coats) but i cant ever get that glass like look or feel to it.

any ideas would be great!

I haven't stopped believing in god. I just stopped beliving he cares. There might be a god, there might not, but i dont think it matters. Either way were on our own.-Jace Wayland

If you want to polish your barrel click the link below

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
sourpatch45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-20-2009, 01:00 PM   #2
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 15720
I would think some sort of sealer is the way to go.
yocan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:10 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 36575
Have you tried wet sanding the clear coat with 1500 or 2000 grit sandpaper and then buffing it out?
thenug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:14 PM   #4
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 3721
Have you tried a light sanding between coats. Let the coat dry give it a very light sanding and coat it again. Try 4 or 5 coats with a light sanding between coats and you'll get what you're looking for.
Quote:
Battlestar Galactica Book Of Pythia
"All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."
Quote:
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. River Tam Serenity
agalindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:20 PM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 36848
Build up several dried coats. Wet sand with “color” paper, 2000 grit or better. Buff with something like 3M Micro Glaze. Or after last color sand wipe with tac free and shoot with clear coat in dust free both.
J B S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 04:58 PM   #6
XDTalk 5K Member

i have tried sanding between coats and it does improve it but no matter how many times i try it doesnt get super smooth

I haven't stopped believing in god. I just stopped beliving he cares. There might be a god, there might not, but i dont think it matters. Either way were on our own.-Jace Wayland

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Old 05-20-2009, 05:02 PM   #7
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 3721
After very lightly sanding a dry coat make sure you use a wet paper towel to clean the dust off of the surface. I did my son's (Htown) SKS that way, just make sure and wiped all the dust off of the surface before applying a new coat. Make sure your clear coat sealer and brush are not contaminated with dust.
Quote:
Battlestar Galactica Book Of Pythia
"All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."
Quote:
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. River Tam Serenity
agalindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:04 PM   #8
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 5873
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenug View Post
Have you tried wet sanding the clear coat with 1500 or 2000 grit sandpaper and then buffing it out?

this should be your answer

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.

Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties.

.40-.45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:25 PM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 28810
Whats a 10/22 charger?

If it's a old car it might only have a single stage paint, I don't beleive they used clearcoat back then. If its newer and you know there is a clearcoat read on...

I would first wash the car and take all the previous layers of wax and sealant. Then I would invest in a claybar and clean the paint up all nice and good. Next I would invest in a random orbital buffer or a rotary (just be careful with a rotary as it can burn your paint). I use a polishing product called Menzerna. It's pretty expensive but it will get the paint nice and mar free. If this car is not daily driven invest in a really nice wax (such as Pinnacle). If the car is driven alot you might try collonite, as it is very durable and still gives a pretty good shine. Waxes can get very expensive (some more than $2,000k+, so I'm sure you can find one to suit your needs).

The key to having good looking paint is the preperation with the claybar and polishing. I can show you pics of before and after of my car after a polish session. PM me if you have more questions that I might be able to answer.
Civicman86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:29 PM   #10
XDTalk 5K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civicman86 View Post
Whats a 10/22 charger?

If it's a old car it might only have a single stage paint, I don't beleive they used clearcoat back then. If its newer and you know there is a clearcoat read on...

I would first wash the car and take all the previous layers of wax and sealant. Then I would invest in a claybar and clean the paint up all nice and good. Next I would invest in a random orbital buffer or a rotary (just be careful with a rotary as it can burn your paint). I use a polishing product called Menzerna. It's pretty expensive but it will get the paint nice and mar free. If this car is not daily driven invest in a really nice wax (such as Pinnacle). If the car is driven alot you might try collonite, as it is very durable and still gives a pretty good shine. Waxes can get very expensive (some more than $2,000k+, so I'm sure you can find one to suit your needs).

The key to having good looking paint is the preperation with the claybar and polishing. I can show you pics of before and after of my car after a polish session. PM me if you have more questions that I might be able to answer.

its a ruger 10/22 pistol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page
clear coat like glass
clear coat paint glass like finish
glass like clear coat
how to get clear coat smooth
how to get clear coat to shine
how to get glass clear coat
how to get glass like clear
how to make clear coat for glass

how to make clear coat look like glass

how to make clear coat shine

how to make clear coat smooth

how to make glass clear coat
how to spray clear coat like glass
liqud glass
make clear coat smooth
Click on a term to search for related topics.