• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Gripping question

This is a discussion on Gripping question within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; I have noticed a lot of suggestions on proper grip both here and on YouTube. the Parallel thumbs seems most comfortable and logical. One thing ...

Old 04-19-2009, 12:51 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 36375
Gripping question

I have noticed a lot of suggestions on proper grip both here and on YouTube. the Parallel thumbs seems most comfortable and logical. One thing i don't see is whether anyone uses there none trigger finger or weak hand forefinger on the front, flat portion of the trigger guard.

this flat part of the trigger guard is textured for obvious use, but i don't see anyone using it.
XDM9&XD.45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-19-2009, 04:01 PM   #2
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 31761
Not in fashion now a days to put your finger there. Some competion shooters do but most do not. Try it with your finger there then try it with it wrapped around the opposing hand and see which works for you.
I get better control with it wrapped around the opposing hand.
I wish the trigger guard was rounded in that area.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:40 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 1119
Dremmel tool bro will fix that.

Μολὼν λαβέ
dyferant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:51 PM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 18447
I'm a firearms instructor for a large PD and I was on SWAT for 8 years. I used to be fairly competitive in USPSA and 3-Gun for a while until kids came along. I tried the finger on the trigger guard thing for about 2 years. Eric Grauffel, a French IPSC shooter, still uses this grip (See: http://www.ipsc.org/image/eric03.jpg) but most people have abandoned it, including me.

The biggest problems with putting the finger on the trigger guard is that it takes away from the strength of your support hand; which we know for a fact is equally (and some will argue more) important as the dominant hand for stabilizing the pistol in the two handed grip. Secondly, the finger will tend to "steer" the pistol back and forth and it can lead to poor control, especially on multiple targets. For me, the finger on the front of the trigger guard meant that my whole left hand was shifted forward, leaving a gap between the backs of my hands (i.e. the heels). My weaker support grip became problematic when my hands were sweaty or when I was getting tired. When I was talking to Matt Burkett about it, he pointed something else out to me that I had missed...it went something like this: "Under recoil, the pistol is already rising up and coming backwards towards you and recoil managment is all about getting the pistol forward and down again to prepare for the next shot...so why would you want to put your finger up there on the trigger guard and actually work against yourself by pulling backwards on the pistol before you even pull the trigger? That's just dumb!"

After using that grip for 2 years, I gave up and moved my hand back to where it belonged and I put my index finger down below the trigger guard. I found that I had better control of the pistol, especially when shooting full-power .45 ACP ammo. You won't find many serious shooters who still use this grip. It may work for some people but there's a distinct reason that 99% of the IDPA and IPSC world won't use it.
DougD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:02 PM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 36375
good enough. i shot a taurus pt99 for some time using that grip. when i got my XD several years later, and several years with out shooting, i noticed that it felt ok, but i was pulling my shots low left. i have dry fired over the last couple of days numerous time using the parallel thumbs, finger under the trigger guard grip and now feel very comfortable with that. i will be in the range a few times this week, so i will report my findings. thanks for the advice.
XDM9&XD.45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

grip, trigger guard

Search tags for this page
%22grauffel+grip%22 technique
eric grauffel aluminum grips

eric grauffel grip

eric grauffel grip for sale
eric grauffel gripos
eric grauffel gripping technique
eric grauffel on gripping a handgun
eric grauffel pistol grip
eric grauffel shooting grip
eric grauffel shooting what gun does he use
how does eric grauffel grip a handgun
what gun does eric grauffel use
what type of pistol does eric grauffel use
xd talk
Click on a term to search for related topics.