• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Sniper rifles with gyro stabilization?

This is a discussion on Sniper rifles with gyro stabilization? within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; Just wondering if anybody knows if the Navy has gyro stabilized sniper rifles for use onboard ships? I would imagine that Seals would train to ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box » Sniper rifles with gyro stabilization?

Old 04-13-2009, 11:03 AM   #1
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 16572
Sniper rifles with gyro stabilization?

Just wondering if anybody knows if the Navy has gyro stabilized sniper rifles for use onboard ships?

I would imagine that Seals would train to perfect their shooting skills onboard a ship (even at 30 yards, it would be a tough shot from a moving deck to another moving deck), but gyro stabilization would be a cool thing to have.

Radio Relay is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-13-2009, 11:07 AM   #2
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 24239
it wouldn't adjust for the roll of the other ship only your platform. good or bad its still tricky.

"The dirty little secret about freedom is, you're on your own." - Clarence Thomas

"Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle

"My friends we live in the greatest nation in the history world. I hope you will join with me as we try to change it." - Barack Hussein Obama
tallmanis67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:10 AM   #3
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 34520
I'd think the movement of a large ship would be negligible and predictable enough to make a sniper shot count. As far as the other boat, I'd imagine they train to shoot moving targets all the time
Groo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:43 AM   #4
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 2897
I saw a show about snipers and they were training to shoot from helicopters. they said thats the hardest shot to make. Im sure te Navy trains them to hoot from ships as well. Tough shot, but they did it and thats what matters most. Rounds down range is the ebst way to teach people and im sure they put plenty down range.
"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
ichy_trigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:27 PM   #5
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 24614
HATS OFF TO THEM!

That was a hell of a shot!

and the smaller vessel was probably moving at a faster and more unpredictable rate of speed.

And what do you guys think about King Obama since he approved engagement as soon as they deemed it necessary to safeguard the Captn's life.

I think that speaks volumes of his character; no?

He doesn't beat around the bushes in matters of life and death.
ladromar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:47 PM   #6
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 16572
Quote:
HATS OFF TO THEM!

Man, that's true! Very nice shooting!

Radio Relay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:08 PM   #7
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 21453
Probably no gyro stabilization although that would be cool.

XD-45 compact
XD-40 sub-compact
XD-9 sub-compact (SOLD for BRD)

I hereby certify that the person described hereon has been granted the privilege of carrying a concealed weapon in compliance with Arizona revised statute 13-3112.
XDONBOARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:26 PM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 33954
My dad was navy many moons ago

My dad's only story about snipers while on ship went like this:
The sniper was vietcon and trying to take out officers that walked out on deck. As soon as they figured out where the snipers nest was they used the 5" guns to take out the nest. No more sniper.

I know that modern heavy guns on ships have all that technology. IMHO unless a sniper is trying to make a name for himself or heavy guns would cause too much collateral damage I would think a ship's captain wouldn't risk the life of one of our own.

Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945
----------------
NRA Member
Member: Desert Marksman Rifle and Pistol Club
Joe2131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:27 PM   #9
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 2897
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladromar View Post
HATS OFF TO THEM!

and the smaller vessel was probably moving at a faster and more unpredictable rate of speed.

And what do you guys think about King Obama since he approved engagement as soon as they deemed it necessary to safeguard the Captn's life.

I think that speaks volumes of his character; no?

He doesn't beat around the bushes in matters of life and death.
They should have had orders as soon as they showed up on the scene. I thought we did not negotiate wth terrorists... I guess we do until they decide to put a gun to someones head and the Navy SEALS decide they are tired of all the BS talk.
"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
ichy_trigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:33 PM   #10
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 23189
Correct me if I'm wrong, but probably three shooters shooting at three different targets at the same time. I don't think they would sit still long enough to take em out one at a time. So what was the fourth doing? This bothers me. I guess he could have been playing dead; fetal position?

Probably at night, from a small boat. This small boat would be more exposed to the waves in the sea. Rough waters down there. Probably a steep angle to overcome. From one small boat to the bridge of a larger vessel.

Very difficult shot/shots indeed. I would love to hear/read some details on this.

And ya, I'll say it; Bravo to Obama for this move. The first time he's done anything I liked other than pick UNC in his bracket.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page
gun gyroscope
gyro sniper rifle for sale
gyro stabalized rifle

gyro stabilized rifle

gyro stabilized sniper rifle

gyroscope and rifle
gyroscope in gun
gyroscope rifle stabilizer
gyroscopic gun stabilizer
pictures of gyro stabilizer on military rifles
rifle gyro stabilizer
rifle gyroscope
rifle stabilizer gyro
sniper gyroscope
stabilized sniper rifle
Click on a term to search for related topics.