• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Problem with Steelcase Desk Lock

This is a discussion on Problem with Steelcase Desk Lock within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; So I bought a Steelcase desk on craigslist for $5. The guy didn't have the key to the desk. I found the right key at ...

Old 03-09-2009, 03:59 PM   #1
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 30907
Question Problem with Steelcase Desk Lock

So I bought a Steelcase desk on craigslist for $5. The guy didn't have the key to the desk. I found the right key at cubiclekeys.com - lock type "XF" lock # '1234'. Keys are $7 each, free shipping. I buy 2.

I get the keys, they won't go in the lock at all. Spray some liquid graphite in the lock, now I can get the keys in, but they won't turn. Then I get smart - spray some Breakfree CLP in the lock (gun cleaner fixes everything, right?), run the key back and forth several times, the key still won't turn.

I don't want to drop a lot of $ into the desk - I bought it for my shop to do reloading (I wanted a locking desk so I could lock up the powder & primers to keep my small children away from the stuff).

Any ideas on how to get this lock operational?

Thanks for all of your help.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:47 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 29034
Office Max, Home Depot, et al, pop the lock, get new lock, Profit!

N38° 19' 56.52"
W85° 45' 8.56"

Semper Gumby

----------------------
Ethics are what we do when no one else is looking.
StarbaseSSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:49 PM   #3
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 28550
Look up a locksmith in the yellow pages and get a new lock cylinder. Once you have that, drill the old lock out and replace it. BTW, start with about a 1/4 inch hole dead center then step up in size until your at the hole size for the new lock. You may need to purchase a set of Silver and Demming bits to get big enough for that, in which case it would probably be cheaper to pay the locksmith to do the work.

One other option would be to take a cut-off grinder and cut the lock flush with the surface of the metal it's mounted in. At that point you can just tap it out of the hole. The only problem with grinding it off is that you'll probably have to do some re-painting if you want it to look pretty.
scooter123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:54 PM   #4
tec
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 3850
Two paper clips will get most desk locks open. One is for tension, the other is to "excite" the wafers into the right position.

tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:08 PM   #5
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 16467
pssst ... you didn't hear this from me!

Lock bumping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

DONT TREAD ON ME

Deadcenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:09 PM   #6
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 12989
Quote:
Originally Posted by tec View Post
Two paper clips will get most desk locks open. One is for tension, the other is to "excite" the wafers into the right position.
+1

I have done this several times, its easier than you might think, just dont apply too much tension or getting that last wafer to pop can be a real pain.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:11 PM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 28018
If you can find a replacement cylinder with matching key made for this desk, it's a two-minute job to insert the new cylinder. You'd just need to find a way to get the old cylinder out, and if you have power tools, I'm sure you can manage it without damaging the housing for the cylinder.

Better than paying a smith to pick and re-key the existing cylinder. Plus, you'd have a brand new cylinder.
disord3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:46 PM   #8
tec
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 3850
Quote:
Originally Posted by disord3r View Post
If you can find a replacement cylinder with matching key made for this desk, it's a two-minute job to insert the new cylinder. You'd just need to find a way to get the old cylinder out, and if you have power tools, I'm sure you can manage it without damaging the housing for the cylinder.

Better than paying a smith to pick and re-key the existing cylinder. Plus, you'd have a brand new cylinder.
Guys,
Really,
It's a 5 dollars lock we're talking about. either drill it, or use two paper clips on it.
I am a locksmith,
really, two paperclips will open it. then remove the tension clip, drive to your local hardware store, walk down the aisle with door locks in it, goto the replacement door parts section (about halfway down the aisle) and buy a new one.

tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:00 PM   #9
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 30907
Problem Clarification

Everybody,

Thanks for the advice. I don't think that I stated my problem clearly. The drawer is not locked. I got the desk without a key. I ordered the key online, but it doesn't work.

Let's assume the lock doesn't work. If I want to replace it, how do I remove the cylinder without damaging the link to the stuff that "locks" the drawer shut?

Next, if I want to replace the cylinder and make sure that the new cylinder actually works the \drawer's locking mechanism, do I need to get a Steelcase cylinder, or will any old office drawer lock / file cabinet lock cylinder do the job?

Thanks again for the help.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:04 PM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 28335
Call Steelcase, order a new core and core removal key. Core removal key will allow you to take old core out, then put the new key core in and use with newly supplied keys (keys should come with the new core).

lazy42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

lock; stuck; key; desk

Search tags for this page
how to open a steel case desk
how to open a steel master key box when jammed
how to open locked steelcase
how to remove lock on steelcase desk
how to remove steelcase desk lock
old steel desk lock work
steelcase desk drawer jammed
steelcase desk drawer lock
steelcase desk drawer removal
steelcase drawer locked and won't unlock

steelcase fr master key

steelcase master key
Click on a term to search for related topics.