• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Flying With Your Handgun: Regular Lock Or TSA Lock?

This is a discussion on Flying With Your Handgun: Regular Lock Or TSA Lock? within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; For those of you who have flown w/your HG in checked luggage, is any lock ok, or do you think the TSA locks are better? ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box » Flying With Your Handgun: Regular Lock Or TSA Lock?

Old 12-07-2005, 01:43 PM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 6985
Flying With Your Handgun: Regular Lock Or TSA Lock?

For those of you who have flown w/your HG in checked luggage, is any lock ok, or do you think the TSA locks are better? Or would you mix-- maybe a TSA lock on the luggage, a regular lock on the HG?
Ivan A. Makarova is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-07-2005, 01:49 PM   #2
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 4557
Here's what I do. I have a hard case that my Kimber came in; it's smaller and easier to work w/ than the SA XD box. I put my XD in the box, and have a good padlock in my pocket. I go to checkin counter, tell them I need a firarms tag, get it, sign it, put it in the suitcase, then they send me to the TSA screening station. Sometimes my other baggage goes w/, sometimes not. Anyway, they walk up to take my baggage, and I says "This one's got a firearm in it." (BTW, don't say gun. It's a scarier word. )

Then they check it, make sure it's unloaded, blah blah. When they're happy, they close the Kimber box, I slap the big pad lock on the handle, they stick it back in my baggage, I put a small lock on the outside of the baggage, and they stick a "TSA Screened" sticker on it to let everyone else know it's cool and not to cut my lock off. Then I go off on my merry way.

That's been SOP for me since 9/11.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
- My awesome gun website! More guns than ever! (Last updated: July 24, 2006)
mr0w1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 01:56 PM   #3
XDTalk Member

Member #: 6451
I just wanted to add that I have used the TSA locks and they have still been cut. You talk about being pissed off!!!
Rated R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 02:40 PM   #4
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 4313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R1
I just wanted to add that I have used the TSA locks and they have still been cut. You talk about being pissed off!!!
Amen brother, but if they do cut it off, you can get it replaced for free if you go to their website and fill out the form and send it into them.

But it still does piss you off. The wife and I flew to Houston last year and I used the TSA locks to make it faster and safer but they still cut it off. The first agent at the airport here in NE didn't have any clue what the hell the lock was.
Majk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 03:31 PM   #5
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 5486
Out of curiosity, what happens if you use a lock made out of indestructium? You know, like those super-hardened-titanium locks?

-James
Meta4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 03:32 PM   #6
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 4557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meta4
Out of curiosity, what happens if you use a lock made out of indestructium? You know, like those super-hardened-titanium locks?

-James
They cut your bag or case instead .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
- My awesome gun website! More guns than ever! (Last updated: July 24, 2006)
mr0w1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 10:04 PM   #7
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 4860
According to Continental and their web-site (plus I fly it all the time) the lock that you put on your outer bag should not present access to anybody except for yourself.

As far as flying with it all the time, nothing pisses me off more than some fruitcake/dame that doesn't have a clue as to what they are doing and insist that you break the law during what they believe to be the process.

<5 times I have had to have the "are you telling me this is what you want me to do"? approach and after the 5th or 6th time they say "why do you keep asking this" and in turn I reply that according to TSA guidelines and Continental's company policy, they are asking me to break the rules, I fly multiple times a week and have great risk if I do not follow the policy to a T, so tell me, who is right, yourself who has never done this, or myself who could goto jail if I handle a bag when I should not.

That usually shuts them up.

There was one time when a TSA person and I just about came to blows because he kept taking my case and my gun behind the counter to do something that he referred to as "checking" it, I was extremely uncomfortable with him handling, as this is not SOP other than to ensure that it is not loaded.

Good Luck

- T
oldmantod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 07:52 AM   #8
XDTalk Member

Member #: 6451
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan.tonya
Amen brother, but if they do cut it off, you can get it replaced for free if you go to their website and fill out the form and send it into them.
Thanks for the info. I did not know that.
Rated R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 08:14 AM   #9
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 4279
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan.tonya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R1

But it still does piss you off. The wife and I flew to Houston last year and I used the TSA locks to make it faster and safer but they still cut it off. The first agent at the airport here in NE didn't have any clue what the hell the lock was.
I recently flew out of Houston to London and had a TSA lock on my luggage. When I arrived at Gatwick I had a TSA sticker on my bag. I guess they actually used their key and not a bolt cutter.

021411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 10:31 AM   #10
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 4313
The only thing they require is the receipt from where you bought it.

I just figured it was more hassle than it was worth. But it sure did piss me off at the time.
Majk is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page
are xd gun boxes tsa
firearm lock box for luggage
flying with a handgun
gunlock on luggage tsa
tsa cut gun locks
tsa firearm lock box

tsa gun lock

tsa gun lock box

tsa gun locks

tsa gunlock

tsa hand gun lock box

tsa handgun box
tsa lock box
tsa lockbox
tsa locks houston tx
what happens if tsa cuts your gun locks
Click on a term to search for related topics.