• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Make your own Night sights???????

This is a discussion on Make your own Night sights??????? within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; Has any one tried using a glow in the dark paint ant putting it on the factory sight? To make a poor mans night sights? ...

Old 02-14-2009, 12:27 AM   #1
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 28865
Make your own Night sights???????

Has any one tried using a glow in the dark paint ant putting it on the factory sight? To make a poor mans night sights? Does it work? Any picture how to type stuff? I don't want to deal with the damage that can come to the slide with the change! I don't mind a scratch as long as I put the scratch on the gun!
mbpe912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-14-2009, 12:31 AM   #2
XDTalk Member

Member #: 32703
I just put some neon yellow on my XDm sights. It isn't glow in the dark or nuclear or anything but for 5$ it's alot better than what it came with. If I dont like it in a few days/weeks then I can take it off, it's only paint. I'd recomend getting a small artist brush to put it on and with such a small drop of paint it dries really fast. I got all the stuff to do it from ACE hardware.
oldsalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:34 AM   #3
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 30019
Thumbs up I'm going to do that.

My uncle used to do that to all of his guns. He'd use a small blacklight to "charge" them up. They glowed VERY bright after they were charged. The problem with glow paint is it MUST be exposed to light (UV works best), or it won't glow. I thought about using a UV LED flashlight to charge mine up when I do it. I plan on ordering glow paint and doing all my gun sights because some need touch up anyways. There's this stuff that claims to be the brightes glow paint on the market, which is what I'll use.

"What good fortune for governments that the people do not think." Adolph Hitler
I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Deer Slayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:35 AM   #4
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 28865
Isn't

Yeah well, now that you mention that I can't ask the BG to stop while I charge my sights but I think it would work for quicker sight alignment? Also possibly they would charge all day while exposed to light?
I have a hard time spending 1/4 of the price of the gun to buy new sights to have some "gun smith beat the crap out of my slide to then have to spend another 1/4 of the guns cost to have the slide re coated. Now I am at half the price of a new gun!

Last edited by mbpe912; 02-14-2009 at 12:39 AM.
mbpe912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:36 AM   #5
df34adfe34

Member #:
I think you're probably looking for something like this.

Nitesiters **Super Photo Luminescent Handgun Night Sights**
Old 02-14-2009, 02:18 AM   #6
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 23028
I used Apple Barrel brand Neon Green paint from Michael's. I took the slide off and used some books to hold it upright(too lazy to dig up clamps). Then I used a toothpick to put drops of paint onto the sights. You have to do it quickly so that the paint doesn't start to tack up and not fill evenly. After a trip to the range, I added some more so that the paint is convex and comes out past the edge of the sight some. Now they catch more light and are much easier to pick up, especially in low light. Another plus about painting them convex is that even after a lot of shooting the dots don't start to get dirty. My white sights were turning black when I used WWB at the range because the residue was settling down in them, but now it can't.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:15 AM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 29624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Slayer View Post
My uncle used to do that to all of his guns. He'd use a small blacklight to "charge" them up. They glowed VERY bright after they were charged.
How long did the "charge" last?
Old 02-14-2009, 10:37 AM   #8
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 21184
I've used the nightsiters paint. Works pretty decent. But you have to charge them with a flashlite unless you open carry during the day..if so the sun charges them and they're ready to go at night.

If you charge them by flashlite, expect a 5-10 minute charge. 5 minutes with a quick charge is bright and it slowly dies down from there, it still has a faint glow maybe 15-20 minutes into it.

It's a cheaper alternative (and brighter than) but not as good as tritium.
I put it on an XD, Glock and an AK. The XD and Glock already have white painted sights so you can just dab the glowpaint on with a toothpick or something and then seal it if you want with some clear fingernail polish.

If you use it on a plain steel sight you need to apply white fingernail polish where you're going to want it to glow first. After it dries, add the glowpaint..and then seal if you want.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

When the Government fears the people, there is
. When the people
the Government, there is tyranny.
- Thomas Jefferson
nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 05:30 AM   #9
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 30019
Arrow A charge lasts a few hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmyra View Post
How long did the "charge" last?
If you leave it out all day in the sun, or charge it up for an hour or so, the "charge" starts to dim at about 2 hours, and slowly fades out after about 8-10. You can still see them glowing about 12 hours later, but barely. It's better than the stock sights at night, if you leave it exposed to the daylight, it will still barely glow by morning.

"What good fortune for governments that the people do not think." Adolph Hitler
I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge!!
Deer Slayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:59 AM   #10
XDTalk Member

Member #: 33975
Do they just not make Night Sights for the XD?
TRICKORMATE is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page
best way to make glow sights
best way to make gun night sights
diy night sights
how to make a night sight

how to make night sights

how to make your own night sights
how to make your own pistol night sights
make my night site
make night sights
make your own night sight paint

make your own night sights

make your own night sites
making night sights
making your own night sights
what are night sights made of
what makes night sights glow
Click on a term to search for related topics.