• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Advice when people ask about buying an 'assault weapon'

This is a discussion on Advice when people ask about buying an 'assault weapon' within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; I've had a few people ask me, "Hey... I know you know a bit about guns... I really want to get a nice home defense ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box » Advice when people ask about buying an 'assault weapon'

Old 02-03-2009, 02:42 PM   #1
XDTalk 25K Member

Member #: 1698
Question Advice when people ask about buying an 'assault weapon'

I've had a few people ask me, "Hey... I know you know a bit about guns... I really want to get a nice home defense rifle before it get's banned... what do you recommend?"

I know there's the whole AK vs. AR debate, but I'm more interested if you tell people 'buy now' (even if it's at an inflated price and they'll have to wait possibly months), 'buy used', put on layaway, or 'wait until ...'

I'm curious, what advice do you give?
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Krackels is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-03-2009, 02:44 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 14589
Buy what you can.....NOW....

Molon Labe !!!
All ye who pass this mark, do so at your own peril !!

'No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is as formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.'- Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.'- Ronald Reagan
Baddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:45 PM   #3
XDTalk 20K Member

Member #: 21823
I tell them if they have the money buy now. You can still get decent prices at gun shows and from good dealers who haven't increased their prices. Layaway is always an option too.

SgtWKPII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:52 PM   #4
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 31559
What Assault Rifles? If you want an assault rifle, get your classIII and go for it. All other rifles are hunting or target rifles, aren't they?
scout06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:52 PM   #5
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 15720
I tell people to buy now because they might not be able to later.

If their money is tight I tell them to buy an AR15 lower reciever now, and wait to build it up.

Home defense rifle, if its inside the home 556 is better due to it WON"T go through walls as likely and hurt an innocent bystander, I'd say DO NOT GET A 1/7 twist, because inside the home I'd want to use 55 gr projectiles due to less penatrability through walls. I'd say get a 1/9 twist.

Now if they have a shotgun and the rifle is in case a squad of gangbangers are coming, 16" barrel 1/7 twist 77 grain bullets or an AK47. (16 mid length has significantly less jams that a 14.5 due to better pressure in the gas tube, and an m4gery is still using a 14.5 M4 length gas tube and you are the same size and get a better site radius, only downside is rails cost a little more due to more machining)

Last edited by yocan; 02-03-2009 at 02:56 PM.
yocan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:59 PM   #6
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 29160
Kindly Tell Them To Chill Awhile And Think It Thru

Huge subject matter here. Difficult to compress down. Have them sit down and think thru their actual needs. Go thru it all. They might find they don't actually need a required 2nd admendment military type rifle.

Maybe a home revolver is better. Maybe no gun at all, but a tightened up home. Thirty day of everything supply. Family education including history, duties, citizenship responsibilities, training, ethics. Blah blah.

Then if they still want something, perhaps take them to the range and let them shoot your stuff. Safety courses might work also. Get a feel of their actual requirements. Every citizen is required to own a good rifle.

But...are they really ready for one? Dunno. Way above my meager pay grade. So many questions first. This is a serious duty we all face..how to spin up the non-gun citizen? Some help/input here. Thanks. HB of CJ
HB of CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:51 PM   #7
XDTalk 25K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB of CJ View Post
Huge subject matter here. Difficult to compress down. Have them sit down and think thru their actual needs. Go thru it all. They might find they don't actually need a required 2nd admendment military type rifle.

Maybe a home revolver is better. Maybe no gun at all, but a tightened up home. Thirty day of everything supply. Family education including history, duties, citizenship responsibilities, training, ethics. Blah blah.

Then if they still want something, perhaps take them to the range and let them shoot your stuff. Safety courses might work also. Get a feel of their actual requirements. Every citizen is required to own a good rifle.

But...are they really ready for one? Dunno. Way above my meager pay grade. So many questions first. This is a serious duty we all face..how to spin up the non-gun citizen? Some help/input here. Thanks. HB of CJ
Point well taken.

It's not necessarily (in most cases) that they "need" an AR or AK or whatever, it's mostly that they want to get a fun gun before they get banned with the hopes that it'll be grandfathered like during the Clinton AWB.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."

&

Old 02-03-2009, 04:08 PM   #8
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 31460
I have nothing to say. nobody ever asked me this question in 60 years.
community is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:10 PM   #9
XDTalk 25K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout06 View Post
What Assault Rifles? If you want an assault rifle, get your classIII and go for it. All other rifles are hunting or target rifles, aren't they?
You'll have to excuse me for using their terminology. When I say "assault rifle" I'm talking about firearms that will in all likelyhood contain certain features which would make them illegal to sell or buy if an AWB was passed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yocan View Post
I tell people to buy now because they might not be able to later.

If their money is tight I tell them to buy an AR15 lower reciever now, and wait to build it up.

Home defense rifle, if its inside the home 556 is better due to it WON"T go through walls as likely and hurt an innocent bystander, I'd say DO NOT GET A 1/7 twist, because inside the home I'd want to use 55 gr projectiles due to less penatrability through walls. I'd say get a 1/9 twist.

Now if they have a shotgun and the rifle is in case a squad of gangbangers are coming, 16" barrel 1/7 twist 77 grain bullets or an AK47. (16 mid length has significantly less jams that a 14.5 due to better pressure in the gas tube, and an m4gery is still using a 14.5 M4 length gas tube and you are the same size and get a better site radius, only downside is rails cost a little more due to more machining)
Was this how it worked with the clinton ban? I can't remember how the AWB defined 'manufacturing' (which would include slapping an upper on a lower receiver).

&

Old 02-03-2009, 04:33 PM   #10
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 15221
i recomend getting what they can now, and getting a reciever of the other. That way they know they will have one of each, if they are concerned they didnt "get the right one for them"

A overpriced WASR ak at $700 is ahrd pill to swallow since i could get them for $275 in sept at dunhams, but it will look like a deal if they get banned outright. Its bird in hand worth two in the bush scenario.

Get something .... NOW

Accept its a bit pricer than one would like, but thats the name of the game, i wish i could go back in time and buy real estate and stocks also, hundred grand in a startup, bang 2 years latter i am worth $75 million. Its the same thing. Just gotta man up and get something.

Dont forget to include the DSA fals and enterprise arms FALs out there, they are in stock and ready to go, and DPMS ar10s seem to be in stock also. $1099 DSA stg58 is allot better value than a $750 WASR, in my opinion.

The important thing is for them to recognize they can get left behind with nothing, and they have to rationalize the idea is $300 "over paying" worth it to get in the game. In the grand scheme of things, $300 is nothing, if we are talking about a tool that lasts a lifetime, and can save your life.

Thats a life insurance premium you can get back someday, it doesnt loose value or get used up, its like life insurance in your closet, or under your bed.

Everyone should have one half decent battle rifle. Countries like switzerland and Israel are good examples.

If the time comes you do need it, and don't have it, you could never forgive yourself, well atleast i know i couldnt.

No one killing me, my family, my cat, or taking my families stuff with out me being a major pain in their ass.
billbrasky is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

advice, awb, banned, buying, rifle

Search tags for this page

ak 47 complete lower

Click on a term to search for related topics.