• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Advice when people ask about buying an 'assault weapon'

This is a discussion on Advice when people ask about buying an 'assault weapon' within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; Originally Posted by Krackels You'll have to excuse me for using their terminology. When I say "assault rifle" I'm talking about firearms that will in ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box » Advice when people ask about buying an 'assault weapon'

Old 02-03-2009, 04:36 PM   #11
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 15221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krackels View Post
You'll have to excuse me for using their terminology. When I say "assault rifle" I'm talking about firearms that will in all likelyhood contain certain features which would make them illegal to sell or buy if an AWB was passed.

Was this how it worked with the clinton ban? I can't remember how the AWB defined 'manufacturing' (which would include slapping an upper on a lower receiver).
yep, the ATF considers the reciever "the gun".

An ak47 reciver, or ar15 lower though non functioning has to be delivered to a FFL. You can then have the complete rest of the parts needed to make a functioning ak or ar15 delivered righ to your door by UPS or fedex and be completely legal.

Still if they have $700 a gun in hand is worth it, never know when riots will come, martial law, UN troops, the obama youth brown coats etc.

A blank reciever is a $65-$200 paper weight until it is a finished gun.
billbrasky is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-03-2009, 04:41 PM   #12
XDTalk 5K Member

also dont forget to recomend the saiga line of sporter AK's

they are in stock for as low as $349

Russian Saiga AK 47 Rifle IZ 132

they were $289 pre obama, so that not a huge price increase, these are real legit, brand spanking new made in russia AK 47s with a few minor details that make them legal imports.

They make high capcity mags in the 30 rd range for $30-40.

Tell folks to get a saiga AK and a 30 round surefire mag and call it a day.

Then if they become a hobbyist, they can convert the saiga AK to take regular AK mags, and they will have a top quality piece at bargain price.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:43 PM   #13
XDTalk Member

Member #: 32466
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbrasky View Post
yep, the ATF considers the reciever "the gun".

An ak47 reciver, or ar15 lower though non functioning has to be delivered to a FFL. You can then have the complete rest of the parts needed to make a functioning ak or ar15 delivered righ to your door by UPS or fedex and be completely legal.

Still if they have $700 a gun in hand is worth it, never know when riots will come, martial law, UN troops, the obama youth brown coats etc.

A blank reciever is a $65-$200 paper weight until it is a finished gun.
I am experiencing this very thing right now. I have a $300 paper weight. I could find a complete gun faster than I can find the parts. But hey I sure have a fancy paper weight.
XD Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:10 PM   #14
XDTalk 5K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD Larry View Post
I am experiencing this very thing right now. I have a $300 paper weight. I could find a complete gun faster than I can find the parts. But hey I sure have a fancy paper weight.
well as long as you have the money for the rest and the inclination to build it, ni big deal, nothing to be sad about. Do you have other rifles. I mean even if you just have an old bolt action, no one is gonna want to ramsack your house in a riot with you pickin' off dudes with your 30-06. No thanks, i think i will ramsack on another street thank you. *wink*

I just fear someone who isnt exactly a gun enthusiast might think the reciever is good enough for now, but with out one real functioning weapon, a reciever aint all that. Especially on an AK. Takes some degree of skill, and interest to build it.

Now an AR complete lower, Krackles could come over, and put his buddies/coworker/cousin/neighbor etc upper and lower together in a few seconds, ba da bing bad do boom they are good to go. Make a trip to the range and show him some safety meaures how to clean, etc and he is about as safe and prepared as a regular guy can be with out going full gun nut.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:14 PM   #15
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 20215
I'd recommend an SKS or an AK. And to get one now if they see anything resembling a fair deal.
LKB3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:37 PM   #16
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 16246
The sorts of people who ask this question are going to forget they have their rifles and not take care of them.

Therefore, recommend the SKS! It's the best buy-and-forget rifle out there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Ishpeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:50 PM   #17
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 28835
Even if one couldn't afford a nice semi-auto rifle such as myself at the moment. I think picking up a mosin and some ammo like I plan to do an alternative. What do you all think? Currently I have an XD45, XD9, and an old 32 auto revolver so any rifle beats nothing. Hell it won wars for Russia.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:34 PM   #18
XDTalk 25K Member

Member #: 1698
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4ya View Post
Even if one couldn't afford a nice semi-auto rifle such as myself at the moment. I think picking up a mosin and some ammo like I plan to do an alternative. What do you all think? Currently I have an XD45, XD9, and an old 32 auto revolver so any rifle beats nothing. Hell it won wars for Russia.
Yeah, any rifle's better than none. Another alternative is to pick up an enfield or surplus mauser.

I bought my brother a Yugoslavian mauser (bent bolt) and surplus 8mm Mauser is still cheaper than most commercial loadings.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
&

Krackels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:08 PM   #19
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 26877
I have had a little related experience with the privilege of introducing several co-workers to shooting.

This is what I have done with interested parties:

Sit down with them, teach them the 4 rules, familiarize with some basic types of weapons that you have and how they are used.

Take them shooting. Start them on a .22. Move up to some intermediate cartridges as their skills allow.

Take them to a gun store. Show them a variety of weapons and explain what you know about each.

Tell them about what stores you have found reputable and make sure they are getting a good value.

Encourage them to join a gun-rights organization like the NRA or the SAF.

Impress upon them their purchase is not complete without a secure cabinet or safe to keep it in.

I wouldn't get them too bogged down with things like barrel twist rates. Just help them make a purchase they can use, feel good about and they get a reasonable value.
docred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:27 PM   #20
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 29363
if i had ONE option for an AWB critical rifle to keep, cherish, pass down, etc., it would be an AR of some kind. my yugo AK is great and all, but i wouldn't consider it generational...
mr1incred1ble is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

advice, awb, banned, buying, rifle

Search tags for this page

ak 47 complete lower

Click on a term to search for related topics.