• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Just installed Trijicon HD nights on my XDm! .40 3.8 compact

This is a discussion on Just installed Trijicon HD nights on my XDm! .40 3.8 compact within the XDMan.com forums, part of the Forum Sponsors & Commerce category; I had been looking to install nights on my new XDm .40 3.8 compact from the moment I brought it home. I initially bought a ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Forum Sponsors & Commerce » XDMan.com » Just installed Trijicon HD nights on my XDm! .40 3.8 compact

Old 07-18-2011, 03:19 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 54015
Thumbs up Just installed Trijicon HD nights on my XDm! .40 3.8 compact

I had been looking to install nights on my new XDm .40 3.8 compact from the moment I brought it home. I initially bought a cheap set of Zone 3 sights and had them installed by a local smith who wasn't familiar with XDm work and the install was a disaster...the smith broke the tritium vial in the front sight!

Looking for a new set of sights and a new smith to do the work started at XDTalk. I looked thru the forums and after a couple hours worth of reading, I narrowed down my sight choice to either the Trijicon HD sights or the new diamond speed sights.

Now on to who would put them on. Again, XDTalk pointed me in the direction of James from xd-hs2000.com. I called James and we had a lengthy discussion on the pros and cons of both of the brands I was looking at. I had concerns that the HD front sight would not fit in my SERPA holser as it is just a little bit taller than the stock sight and the original Trijicon front sight...but James was convinced that the fit would be fine. He even said that if he did the work and I found that the front sight would not fit my holster...all I would have to do is return the slide and we would figure something else out!

I asked James which front sight color he would recommend. The Trijicon HD front sight can come in either yellow or orange photoluminescent paint. James recommended the orange front sight as he said under very bright direct sunlight conditions he's found that the yellow sight can wash out. I was already leaning toward the orange sight so it wasn't hard to sell me on it. On further research, I've found that the yellow paint will glow longer after a change than the orange by almost a 2:1 factor...but I'm ok with that. As a side note, the color of the tritium inserts on both the front and rear sights are green.

I sent the slide down to James for the work. The sights were $120 with free install. The slide came back to me quick and James did a great job not only installing the new HD's but also correcting some minor damage the previous smith did to my slide. Now to the range for a quick 100 round test.

When I got to the range the weather was not great...overcast with some showers on and off. I put up paper 15 yards out and proceeded to send some rounds down range. The front sight was a lot easier for me to pick up on a speed draw! I was concerned that that the sights might not be POA/POI but I can tell you at 15 yards...my groups were dead on!!! I've read some concerns about the rear sights not having a white ring around them and thought that might be an issue in aiming, but I can tell you that the rear U notch sight with the tritium inserts without white outlining worked better for me that if they did have the outlining!!!

Oh, and my concern about the holster...no worries there! The XDm fit in without any issue! The front sight is ever so slightly taller that stock...but obviously not enough to have an effect on workability.

So far these sights are a huge improvement over stock sights and over standard Trijicon night sights. I have only had them less than a day and only have 100 rounds down range to judge...but I can say I'm impressed so far and glad that I made the choice to go with the HD's!
Acedj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-18-2011, 04:34 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 58104
Great to hear.

I've been looking to update the front sight on my XDm .40 as well. Going to have to give him a call.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:51 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 25652
Great! Thanks for review. I have the same gun and have been reading up on the Trijicon HD's. I like the TruGlo TFO sights also but don't want to give up that 1/2" of sight radius.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:23 PM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 59077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acedj123 View Post
I had been looking to install nights on my new XDm .40 3.8 compact from the moment I brought it home. I initially bought a cheap set of Zone 3 sights and had them installed by a local smith who wasn't familiar with XDm work and the install was a disaster...the smith broke the tritium vial in the front sight!

Looking for a new set of sights and a new smith to do the work started at XDTalk. I looked thru the forums and after a couple hours worth of reading, I narrowed down my sight choice to either the Trijicon HD sights or the new diamond speed sights.

Now on to who would put them on. Again, XDTalk pointed me in the direction of James from xd-hs2000.com. I called James and we had a lengthy discussion on the pros and cons of both of the brands I was looking at. I had concerns that the HD front sight would not fit in my SERPA holser as it is just a little bit taller than the stock sight and the original Trijicon front sight...but James was convinced that the fit would be fine. He even said that if he did the work and I found that the front sight would not fit my holster...all I would have to do is return the slide and we would figure something else out!

I asked James which front sight color he would recommend. The Trijicon HD front sight can come in either yellow or orange photoluminescent paint. James recommended the orange front sight as he said under very bright direct sunlight conditions he's found that the yellow sight can wash out. I was already leaning toward the orange sight so it wasn't hard to sell me on it. On further research, I've found that the yellow paint will glow longer after a change than the orange by almost a 2:1 factor...but I'm ok with that. As a side note, the color of the tritium inserts on both the front and rear sights are green.

I sent the slide down to James for the work. The sights were $120 with free install. The slide came back to me quick and James did a great job not only installing the new HD's but also correcting some minor damage the previous smith did to my slide. Now to the range for a quick 100 round test.

When I got to the range the weather was not great...overcast with some showers on and off. I put up paper 15 yards out and proceeded to send some rounds down range. The front sight was a lot easier for me to pick up on a speed draw! I was concerned that that the sights might not be POA/POI but I can tell you at 15 yards...my groups were dead on!!! I've read some concerns about the rear sights not having a white ring around them and thought that might be an issue in aiming, but I can tell you that the rear U notch sight with the tritium inserts without white outlining worked better for me that if they did have the outlining!!!

Oh, and my concern about the holster...no worries there! The XDm fit in without any issue! The front sight is ever so slightly taller that stock...but obviously not enough to have an effect on workability.

So far these sights are a huge improvement over stock sights and over standard Trijicon night sights. I have only had them less than a day and only have 100 rounds down range to judge...but I can say I'm impressed so far and glad that I made the choice to go with the HD's!

Great to hear!!!! My slide is currently at Jame's shop getting the HD sights installed. I was trying to decide between the HD's and Truglo TFO's. I haven't seen either sight in person, and have been a little nervous after making the purchase. Wasn't sure how much I was going to like them.

This review makes me feel better, thanks!

I can't wait to get my slide back with the new sights. Especially since I just got my PRP trigger in and installed it, haven't had a chance to shoot since I put the trigger in.

it's going to be like I have a new gun. Next time I go shoot, it'll have a new trigger and new sights. I can't wait!!!
ChaoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:25 PM   #5
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 49858
Congrats. I am looking to get this done on both of mine this fall.

"So...they say you have a monster? A curse upon this land?? I am ripper, tearer, slasher, gouger. I am the teeth in the darkness, the challenge in the night. Mine is strength, and lust and power. I am Beowulf!"- Anglo-Saxon Nowell Codex

μολὼν λαβέ
N.E. Tx.XD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:50 PM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoP View Post
Great to hear!!!! My slide is currently at Jame's shop getting the HD sights installed. I was trying to decide between the HD's and Truglo TFO's. I haven't seen either sight in person, and have been a little nervous after making the purchase. Wasn't sure how much I was going to like them.

This review makes me feel better, thanks!

I can't wait to get my slide back with the new sights. Especially since I just got my PRP trigger in and installed it, haven't had a chance to shoot since I put the trigger in.

it's going to be like I have a new gun. Next time I go shoot, it'll have a new trigger and new sights. I can't wait!!!
May be a bit late for you since James already has yours but you can see the sights installed on an XD here:
Sight Profiles
Old 07-19-2011, 06:21 PM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 53653
What made you decide not to go with the Speed Sights? They look pretty cool.

Has anyone used Speed Sights?
lvxdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:42 PM   #8
Official Site Vendor

Member #: 1513
I will say that hands down the Trjicon HD`s are the best sights out there right now.
ajamesp51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:54 PM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 57390
can you post up pics .i'm trying to decide on what night sights to with.
abzxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:00 PM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abzxd View Post
can you post up pics .i'm trying to decide on what night sights to with.
Not an XDm but worth a look. Trijicon HD Yellow Installation

Thank Ajamesp51 for the pics & write-up

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Forum Sponsors & Commerce » XDMan.com

Search tags for this page
night sights for xdm 3.8 40
night sights for xdm 40
night sights for xdm 40 3.8

sights for xdm 40

trijicon hd

trijicon hd night sights xdm

truglo tfo v v trijicon hd for xdm 3.8
xdm 40 3.8 sights
xdm 40 compact night sights
xdm 40 sights
xdm night sights
xdm night sights review
xdm trijicon hd sights poa
xdm trijicon night sights
xdm trijicon sights
Click on a term to search for related topics.