• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Press-Check Failure to Return to Battery Fix

This is a discussion on Press-Check Failure to Return to Battery Fix within the XD-S Discussion Room forums, part of the XD Talk category; Originally Posted by Onig The issue, to me, is not the press check per se. I mean, even if it doesn't return to battery, you ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-S Discussion Room » Press-Check Failure to Return to Battery Fix

Old 11-26-2013, 09:52 AM   #11
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 81744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onig View Post
The issue, to me, is not the press check per se. I mean, even if it doesn't return to battery, you can easily push it in. However, the bigger issue is an inadvertent out of battery condition, caused by a push on the slide while holstering or some other unforeseen action, and not knowing about it.
This is something that SA should address, and FIX!, on all their guns.
thumb on the back of the slide ... hand off the grip safety....
Old 11-26-2013, 10:00 AM   #12
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 97166
Quote:
Originally Posted by weeds View Post
thumb on the back of the slide ... hand off the grip safety....
This ^^
justashooter2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:19 AM   #13
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 97162
Quote:
Originally Posted by apathia View Post
Load it and leave it. The bullet trolls didnt come out and remove the chambered round when you werent looking. Your way more likely to leave your gun out of battery with constant insecure press checks then you are to have somehow lost the round you chambered.
^^^^Correct^^^^
Thudpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:43 AM   #14
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 15720
My mp has a witness hole.

I win.

Loctite/paint pen/regularly check your gear. A gun falling off your belt is unacceptable
yocan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #15
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 96591
Link to the video?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillyB View Post
Guys,

I found a youtube video where a guy found what he thinks is the problem:
Could you post the link to the video? Was it the one by VS Tulsa? I really would trust my XD-S more if this was not happening.

I am waiting for my XD to get back (received 9/15) and will then see how she works and decide if I keep her as my EDC or sell it... I am optimistic, but will wait until I put a few hundred rounds through it to be sure.

But I worry about the failure to return to battery issue. Yes, I realize that you can work around it. but in a life threatening situation, I do not want to have to work around anything that is different from my other guns. Murphy is alive and well... If something can go wrong it will. In a life threatening situation, if for any reason the slide has been moved back a bit, I do not want a click when I expected a bang!

As far as chamber checking, yes, I do that (safely) all the time. Consider that when the XD does not return to battery, the chamber indicator does not indicate "loaded." While it doesn't fire in that state, it will if the slide is touched and it moves back into battery. So no, I do not have 100% confidence in the loaded indicator. It is nice for when it is dark or when I need to check quickly and do not want to draw it to check. but when I have the option, I chamber check.

Besides, that is how I was trained and practice. When my wife got a gun, I decided I wanted all of our guns to operates the same way so she (or I) could pick any of them up and be good to go.... I did not want her practicing with a DAO then picking up my Single Action Firestar and missing the thumb safety, or the FEG and moving the safety the wrong way. So I am geting rid of all guns that do not work the way we train. If we have to remember to manually push it back into battery or if we cannot rack the slide without locking it back, then it has to go. (I don't mind racking it by locking then releasing the slide most of the time... but if I have to do an emergency "tap-rack-aim" situation, I do not want to have to do it differently... Just a solid, decisive slide...

But if I could polish it up a bit and improve the return to battery and the resistance to fully racking the slide (leading to occasional FTF issues) then the XD-S will be my constant companion, and I will get one for my wife in 9mm. Otherwise, it will be my XD-45 or my KelTec PF-9 depending on the situation.

Cervantes
cervantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:24 PM   #16
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 94925
Quote:
There was a movie many years ago starring Sean Connery where he played a Chicago policeman recruited into the FBI to get the moonshiners and eventually, Al Capone. In one scene, a really good young actor (Andy Garcia) was checking to see if his Thompson was loaded. Connery said: "Did you load it?" Garcia said: "Yes." Connery then said: "Then leave it alone."
Odd ... the Thompson fires from an open bolt so unless you inserted an empty mag, it is loaded (no need to check for a chambered round) ... and if you have it ready to fire you can see the ammo & top of the mag ... so ...

Hollywood.
Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #17
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 93397
I've never felt a need to press check. Some do some don't. Not only do I remember but there's the LCI plus you can see a round in the chamber on the ejection port cutout on the right side.
Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:02 PM   #18
CJ.
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 90637
An object at rest tends to stay at rest.....If your drawing the pistol out of the holster, the motion of the draw will cause the slide to return to battery everytime.

My XDs would hang up too but even the slightest movement of the gun would cause it to return everytime. So thanks to Newton's First Law....it's a non-issue to me.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:36 PM   #19
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 97307
The issue for me isn't that I want to do press checks. The problem is that the slide can be moved out of battery and not return on its own. The slide could come out of battery from being dropped or grabbed at by someone other than me.

After burnishing the slot some more I'm not sure I'll get it to close on its own with further polishing of that area. It's better but not corrected. Maybe putting a spit-shine on the extractor hook will help. If not I guess the next step is to do something about the extractor spring pressure.
ChillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #20
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 94887
Quote:
Originally Posted by yocan View Post
My mp has a witness hole.

I win.

Loctite/paint pen/regularly check your gear. A gun falling off your belt is unacceptable
ditto, they're great, right. But the one advantage my Canik Stingray has with the indicator that raises is that I can feel it at night without having to look. Here's the thing, though: When I was able to play and coach sports, I was a firm believer in knowing correct actions, then doing them the same way every time. I transferred that to my CCW. Do the right things all the time, every time, the same way. Then, if need be, things will go off automatically, just like I have practiced them thousands of times. "Playing" with a handgun is asking for trouble, imo.
mudcat57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-S Discussion Room

Search tags for this page
glock fail to return to battery fixes
handgun slide seems hangs up on return to battery
press check
press checking xds problems
sig sauer press check failure
xd press check
xd press check fix
xd press check problem
xd-s out of battery fix
xds 45 press check out of battery
xds 45 return to battery fix
xds chamber indicator causes out of battery

xds failure to battery fixes

xds failure to return to battery
xds muzzle scratches
xds45 return to battery fixed
Click on a term to search for related topics.