• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

SAFETY RECALL - Issued August 28, 2013

This is a discussion on SAFETY RECALL - Issued August 28, 2013 within the XD-S Discussion Room forums, part of the XD Talk category; Originally Posted by johnnyreb571 new guy here, but I wanted to share some information. I just got back from trying to ship my XDs back ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-S Discussion Room » SAFETY RECALL - Issued August 28, 2013

Old 08-29-2013, 12:52 PM   #281
XDTalk Member

Member #: 74850
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyreb571 View Post
new guy here, but I wanted to share some information.

I just got back from trying to ship my XDs back to the factory from here in Birmingham. I printed out the label sent to me, packaged the pistol in the hard case minus all accessories, and put that into a large fedex cardboard box.

Took it to a distribution center along with a print out of the FedEx shipping guidelines for firearms. Advised the clerk that the box contained a handgun that had been rendered safe and had not ammunition.

The clerk wouldn't take the package and told me that a handgun CANNOT be shipped in a FedEx labeled cardboard box; I would have to use my own. Also, Springfield sent out a second day air shipping label and FedEx requires they be shipped Priority Overnight.

The box thing made no sense and I showed her and her manager the printout which said nothing about the type box, but they wouldn't budge. I'm still trying to contact Springfield about the shipping label but can't get through of course.

They also told me that firearms MUST be taken to a distribution center to be shipped. No drop boxes or Kinkos type locations.

So the long a short of it is, this is going to be a little more pain in the backside than I anticipated....... Just thought I'd share the info though.
Mine was in a Fedex labeled box.
cannonballgsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-29-2013, 12:59 PM   #282
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 95383
Sent mine off today. Put in plain brown box slapped label and clerk gave me a receipt. Springfield needs to make this right and toss in a free mag when they send xds back. Ruger sent free mag with lcp recall and free hat with lc9 recall. Springfield making tons of $$ on xds sales a free mag will go long way
With its customers. Especially me. I just got this gun 2 weeks ago and this is my first springfield purchase and its leaving a bad taste in my mouth already.
buddah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:05 PM   #283
XDTalk Member

Member #: 93119
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspooky View Post
Hmmmm. I have three of these things. Ship individually or all together?

What do they swap out? I had them do a trigger job on one and sure hope they don't negate that by replacing parts they worked on. Grrrrr.
They upgrade the disconnector and change something in the grip safety per the woman I spoke to on the phone today.
FL180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:06 PM   #284
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 76348
I have sent Powder River Precision an e-mail asking if the spring kit fixes the problem or if Springfield will rip it out and replace everything. Waiting on an answer.

In the meantime, just gonna wait.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

----------------------------
XDS - .45ACP
XDM 3.8, .45ACP
XDM 5.25, .45ACP
IDPA - CDP MM
IDPA - Safety Officer
NRA Life Member
----------------------------
bigdawgbeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:08 PM   #285
XDTalk Member

Member #: 86283
Just found out this info about the recall. Is every XDs produced, in 9 or 45, being recalled?

I won't know if mine is on the list until I get home from work.

I've got 300 rds through mine.... not a single issue.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:14 PM   #286
XDTalk Member

Member #: 5174
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyreb571 View Post
new guy here, but I wanted to share some information.

I just got back from trying to ship my XDs back to the factory from here in Birmingham. I printed out the label sent to me, packaged the pistol in the hard case minus all accessories, and put that into a large fedex cardboard box.

Took it to a distribution center along with a print out of the FedEx shipping guidelines for firearms. Advised the clerk that the box contained a handgun that had been rendered safe and had not ammunition.

The clerk wouldn't take the package and told me that a handgun CANNOT be shipped in a FedEx labeled cardboard box; I would have to use my own. Also, Springfield sent out a second day air shipping label and FedEx requires they be shipped Priority Overnight.

The box thing made no sense and I showed her and her manager the printout which said nothing about the type box, but they wouldn't budge. I'm still trying to contact Springfield about the shipping label but can't get through of course.

They also told me that firearms MUST be taken to a distribution center to be shipped. No drop boxes or Kinkos type locations.

So the long a short of it is, this is going to be a little more pain in the backside than I anticipated....... Just thought I'd share the info though.
I had a clerk tell me the same thing earlier today about the box. Makes absolutely zero sense and she even agreed. She tried to look it up but couldn't find the regulation and said she was going off what a manager had told her and another employee recently. I said, well, what if I told you that there are machined parts in that box? She said, works for me...have a nice day. FWIW, I have shipped plenty of gun in FedEx white boxes and have never had a problem.

Also, she never mentioned anything about the 2-day shipping and I figured that is what would be the issue taking it over there. Could be that Monday is a holiday so 2-day if shipped today is OK??? Dunno.
TarpleyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:18 PM   #287
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 90934
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonballgsu View Post
Same here. I also told the guy there was a firearm in the box. He replied "we can tell".

Hope it's back soon.
That is my plan, the USPS guys know me since I ship a bit.
Justajeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:20 PM   #288
XDTalk Member

Member #: 93119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy1 View Post
Just found out this info about the recall. Is every XDs produced, in 9 or 45, being recalled?

I won't know if mine is on the list until I get home from work.

I've got 300 rds through mine.... not a single issue.
I called Springfield earlier today and spoke to someone about the recall process and according to her, ALL XD-S FIREARMS ARE INCLUDED IN THE RECALL.
FL180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:35 PM   #289
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 73935
Why do you even need to declare the contents?

Can't you just say "it's a book" and its worth 700 bucks for insurance purposes?

That being said, mine falls into the range..now to decide when to ship it back?

Sadly I've had no problems with the pistol - kinda feel like "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

It's my EDC so I guess I'll have to open carry my AR-15 or XDM until I get it back - just to feel safe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

XDM 5.25 45ACP Comp Series (the Cadillac)
XDS 3.3 45ACP (the Corvette, and EDC)
DPMS AP4 Carbine (the Protector)
(you know the one progressives poop their pants over)
,'';=====-
!
Rambos_Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:35 PM   #290
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 94263
I told the clerk, "I have a box to drop off".

She said, "Thank you..here's your receipt".

finis
doc540 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-S Discussion Room

Search tags for this page
recall
recall on xdm 40
springfield armory recall xdm
springfield armory xdm recall

springfield armory xdm recalls

springfield xdm recall

springfield xdm recalls
springfield xds forum
springfield xds recall forum
xd recall

xdm recall

xds recall forum
Click on a term to search for related topics.