• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

XDS-9 My Major Malfunction 7 Rounds Full Auto - UPDATE / Now Safety Recall

This is a discussion on XDS-9 My Major Malfunction 7 Rounds Full Auto - UPDATE / Now Safety Recall within the XD-S Discussion Room forums, part of the XD Talk category; Okay so I reported some difficulty I was having with the XDS-9 trigger not resetting, on XDTalk here: http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xd-s-di...-i-stupid.html and got the normal "it's not ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-S Discussion Room » XDS-9 My Major Malfunction 7 Rounds Full Auto - UPDATE / Now Safety Recall

Old 07-26-2013, 05:15 PM   #1
XDTalk Supporter

Member #: 82937
Exclamation XDS-9 My Major Malfunction 7 Rounds Full Auto - UPDATE / Now Safety Recall

Okay so I reported some difficulty I was having with the XDS-9 trigger not resetting, on XDTalk here:
XDs-9 Ok, I was stupid...
and got the normal "it's not the gun; clean it; etc". So I was limping it along thinking the problems would correct with break-in. Not so. My XSD is on the way back to Springfield Armory. Here's most of the written description they asked for:

Since purchase of the gun 5/31/13 I have had problems with the trigger assembly not always returning forward upon insertion of the magazine and release of the slide. I tried to remedy the situation by thoroughly cleaning in the trigger assembly area. However it seemed to recur each time I returned to the range. Generally I would field strip the slide and work the trigger assembly back and forth and upon reassembly could proceed to shoot with no issues, until the next time at the range.

Today when I got to the range the trigger assembly was again hung up. I field stripped the gun and worked the trigger assembly and reassembled the slide. I reinserted a full magazine of 7 rounds. When I released the slide the gun went full auto and unloaded all 7 rounds.

I had the gun pointed downrange but was not prepared for the recoil. One of the rounds hit the metal border on the shooting bench in front of me. Shrapnel from that round tore through my range bag creating many holes, shooting through an electronic pair of ear muffs, and marring the finish on my XDM-9 slide. The first rounds shot horizontally just across the top of the shooting bench as shown by the damage to the pile of targets that were laying there on the bench.

Through the seven rounds I was able to hold on to the gun and keep it pointed down range and aside from shrapnel marks on my pants, luckily no personal bodily damage occurred.

I'll not add much more here to keep this from getting too long. Although I always have a good grip on my guns I was not prepared for 7 shots in .5 seconds. Had the recoil flipped the gun some of those rounds could have been in my head. I was in such shock I cannot tell you where my right-hand trigger finger was after the incident, only that it was NOT inside the trigger guard when I released the slide; I've been shooting guns now for 40 years so I'm experienced and know better.

Springfield will check out the gun, hopefully replace the whole thing. They asked for photos of all the damage and will refinish my XDM slide.

I got more religion today. When you hear 'em say somebody was looking out for you today, well... I've lived that. If you want, see pics of the collateral damage here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xtf7ig2dersu0ll/Tu3e9rynNX

Last edited by Facilitator; 08-28-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Facilitator is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-26-2013, 05:20 PM   #2
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 73696
Glad nobody was hurt. Too bad you didn't get video of it. Has your pulse returned to normal yet?
HoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:25 PM   #3
XDTalk Member

Member #: 56100
Man glad your okay. That would have scared the crap outta me
slowdc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:34 PM   #4
XDTalk 80K Member

Member #: 14053
Pics?
Old 07-26-2013, 05:53 PM   #5
XDTalk Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdc5 View Post
Man glad your okay. That would have scared the crap outta me
No, my pulse has not yet returned to normal.

{Edit: I've since lost some sleep over it too.}

Last edited by Facilitator; 07-30-2013 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:08 PM   #6
XDTalk Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugger6 View Post
Pics?
See the OP... there's a link at the bottom.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:09 PM   #7
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 47022
Damn! Springfield needs to fix that or ship you a shoulder stock attachment!
MarkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:11 PM   #8
XDTalk Member

Member #: 74737
Be glad the ATF or Sheriff wasnt there!

Glad all is well. Get that gun back to Springfield and let them service it
derek1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:17 PM   #9
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 73696
It's also a good thing it wasn't in your house. Can you imagine reloading after a cleaning and having that happen?
HoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:48 PM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 51450
Wow Randy. That's scary just thinking about it. Thank God you weren't hurt. I feel a little guilty for referring you to the dealer that sold it to you. That could have been me.

Same thing happened to a guy at our IDPA club match a few weeks ago. He was shooting a Glock, though.

I hope Springfield gets you a replacement soon.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-S Discussion Room

Search tags for this page
discuss the major section of the xds
how bad are the xds recall triggers
pistol malfunction full auto
springfield xds 45 recall update
springfield xds full auto
springfield xds recall update
springfield xds recall updates
xds 9
xds 9 recall
xds malfunction

xds recall

xds recall forum
xds recall update
xds recall update forum

xds recall updates

xds rounds diving
Click on a term to search for related topics.