• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

So, is the XDs really worth $150+ more than the Shield

This is a discussion on So, is the XDs really worth $150+ more than the Shield within the XD-S Discussion Room forums, part of the XD Talk category; Really looking for direct feedback on the two pistols; not just the personal preference on how they feel in your hand. What is driving the ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-S Discussion Room » So, is the XDs really worth $150+ more than the Shield

Old 06-20-2013, 08:31 PM   #1
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 50872
So, is the XDs really worth $150+ more than the Shield

Really looking for direct feedback on the two pistols; not just the personal preference on how they feel in your hand.

What is driving the cost of the XDs to be around $550 or so and the shield is around $420?

Don't get me wrong, I love SA and have 2 SA handguns now. I am SA loyal, but is it worth it?

What makes the Xds worth that much more?
sschrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-20-2013, 08:45 PM   #2
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 49858
I think once the newness wears off and the market corrects itself, they will cost about the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Molon Labe!

"So...they say you have a monster? A curse upon this land?? I am ripper, tearer, slasher, gouger. I am the teeth in the darkness, the challenge in the night. Mine is strength, and lust and power. I am Beowulf!"- Anglo-Saxon Nowell Codex

μολὼν λαβέ
N.E. Tx.XD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #3
XDTalk Supporter

Member #: 82937
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschrick View Post
Really looking for direct feedback on the two pistols; not just the personal preference on how they feel in your hand.

What is driving the cost of the XDs to be around $550 or so and the shield is around $420?

Don't get me wrong, I love SA and have 2 SA handguns now. I am SA loyal, but is it worth it?

What makes the Xds worth that much more?
I own a PPS, Shield, and XDS all in 9mm. I couldn't wait for the release of the XDS; the hype was enormous; I expected it to be the best thing I'd ever owned aside from my XDM 9mm. What I'm finding is I'm way more accurate with my Sheild and I think it fits my hand better. Bottom line is you need to shoot both and see which performs best for YOU. As for the Shield, I bought it in the craze and paid way more for it than I should have. If price is really a big point for you I'd definitely just go with the Shield now hat the prices have fallen back into normal range.
Facilitator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:51 AM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 89314
Supply and demand--same as a Corvette or a chevette
vaq45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:56 AM   #5
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 91893
Welp, your first mistake is asking the internet, because the internet's answer is yes and no.

Ask your shooting hand. It knows better.

Springfield Armory XD-S .45acp
singlewhitemale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:19 AM   #6
XDTalk Member

Member #: 93153
I have the xds 9, my wife has the shield. Here are a few of our thoughts:
- she much prefers the feel of the shield in her hand. She has small, sensitive hands and the xds texture and squared off grip is too much for her. She shot a few rounds and handed it back.
- She struggles to release full mags out of any xd/xdm/xds she has tried.
- she paid approx 465 out the door, i paid 565 out the door. $100 more.
- we both far prefer the xds trigger with its great reset. She is seriously considering paying to have her trigger improved.
- we both like the sights on the xds far more. She has asked about cost of getting fiber front sight.
- she has talons on her shield, xds remains naked.
- we both detest the manual safety on the shield. Grip safety could take or leave.

So assuming my wife at some point decides to pay for a trigger job and new front sight, she will have more into her shield than my xds. Both good guns, both good values in my book.
just1man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:20 AM   #7
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 91893
Quote:
Originally Posted by just1man View Post
I have the xds 9, my wife has the shield. Here are a few of our thoughts:
- she much prefers the feel of the shield in her hand. She has small, sensitive hands and the xds texture and squared off grip is too much for her. She shot a few rounds and handed it back. She also struggles to release full mags out if any xd/xdm/xds she has tried.
- she paid approx 465 out the door, i paid 565 out the door. $100 more.
- we both far prefer the trigger with its great reset. She is seriously considering paying to have her trigger improved.
- we both like the sights on the xds far more. She has asked about cost of getting fiber front sight.
- she has talons on her shield, xds remains naked.
- we both detest the manual safety on the shield. Grip safety could take or leave.

So assuming my wife at some point decides to pay for a trigger job and new front sight, she will have more into her shield than my xds. Both good guns, both good values in my book.

Not only is that very reasoned thinking, it also makes me wonder if your wife has a sister.

Springfield Armory XD-S .45acp
singlewhitemale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:25 AM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 92299
Quote:
Originally Posted by singlewhitemale View Post
...it also makes me wonder if your wife has a sister.
classic!
Whippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:07 AM   #9
XDTalk Member

Member #: 93153
Quote:
Originally Posted by singlewhitemale View Post
Not only is that very reasoned thinking, it also makes me wonder if your wife has a sister.

Ha! Yep, all her lovely 2nd Amendment sisters. :thumbup:
...and thanks. I figure there are enough internet commandos out there.
just1man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:46 AM   #10
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 70670
Is it worth $150 more than the Shield? Probably not. However, I wouldn't buy a pistol just because it's cheaper if I don't like the way it feels/shoots. The only person that can answer that is you by shooting both.

I own a Shield. I love it. I don't think you'll be unhappy if you go that route. I'm sure I'll end up buying an XDs eventually. I actually prefer the trigger and grip of the Shield. I do like the grip safety of the XDs, which gives you an added measure of comfort when holstering.
KTXdm9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-S Discussion Room

Search tags for this page
bersa bp9cc vs xds
but sw shield or springfield xd s9
is the springfield xdm worth the extra money
is the xds really worth the extra money

is the xds worth it

is trigger on xds better than shield

is xds worth it

shield better than xds
why is the xds so expensive
why is thespringfield xds so expensive
why is xds more expensive than shield

why xds 9mm priced so high

xds 9mm vs shield

xds or shield more accurate

xds vs bp9cc

xds worth it

Click on a term to search for related topics.