• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Help me love my XDs 45

This is a discussion on Help me love my XDs 45 within the XD-S Discussion Room forums, part of the XD Talk category; I've only been able to shoot about 200 rounds through it, only 50 rounds each time at the range. I'm not used to that much ...

Old 06-05-2013, 11:35 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 86834
Help me love my XDs 45

I've only been able to shoot about 200 rounds through it, only 50 rounds each time at the range. I'm not used to that much recoil. I have an XD-9 that I can shoot all day without any problems but the XDs (even with the Talon rubber grips) leaves quite an imprint on my palm.

But the worst part is, I get some intermittent failures to return to battery. It happens when I'm not (I think) holding it in a "death grip." I've learned to hit it with the heel of my hand to get it all the way back in, and then it fires just fine.

Any tips will be helpful. As I said, my XD9 gives me no problems, but I only have to think "limp wrist" and my XDs acts up.
Ebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-06-2013, 12:20 AM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 92806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebee View Post
I've only been able to shoot about 200 rounds through it, only 50 rounds each time at the range. I'm not used to that much recoil. I have an XD-9 that I can shoot all day without any problems but the XDs (even with the Talon rubber grips) leaves quite an imprint on my palm.

But the worst part is, I get some intermittent failures to return to battery. It happens when I'm not (I think) holding it in a "death grip." I've learned to hit it with the heel of my hand to get it all the way back in, and then it fires just fine.

Any tips will be helpful. As I said, my XD9 gives me no problems, but I only have to think "limp wrist" and my XDs acts up.
There has been a great deal written about this subject, even since I became a forum member. If you search for keywords like "problem", "failure", "fail", "battery", "light primer strikes", etc. That said, I've been told that some new members aren't used to searching, so here's a quick summary:
  1. Make sure that your XDs is well lubed (beyond even what the manual specifies) - but be sure not to get lube into the striker channel (the "firing pin"). I recommend a grease (like graphite grease) for the rails. Many forum members have other favorite lubricants, such as Frog Lube.
    ~
  2. Try different kinds of ammunition so see if some brands/types/weights are more or less reliable than others in your particular gun, with your particular shooting ability. I've been given to understand that the XDs was engineered around 230 grain ammunition, and that if you want to use lower grain you may have more problems (or need to step up to higher power loadings to compensate for the loss in mass).
    ~
  3. An XDs is like any other manufactured item created by man - not every example that rolls off the production line is perfect. If you are concerned that you may have a problem with your XDs, contact Springfield Armory!
    ~
  4. Become versed in performing "malfunction drills", as any semi-automatic weapon can malfunction (or be chambered on a bad round).
    ~
  5. Work on improving your basic shooting mechanics. Posture, stance, grip, trigger control, breathing, etc. Work on controlling "anticipation" and "flinching". Many people think of the last two as being the same thing. Maybe they are right - but I was taught that flinching was an involuntary response to sudden movement or loud sounds, and anticipation is you literally trying to "anticipate" the round going off and subconsciously pushing down the barrel to try to keep the muzzle down during detonation - or lifting the muzzle to try to lessen the recoil sting to your palms. Regardless, both can be reduced by training with snap-caps (aka "dummy rounds") when at home to teach yourself to keep the weapon completely still as the striker is released [CAUTION: If you do this, make absolutely sure there's no live ammunition in the area, and follow the cardinal rules of firearms handing. Ask if you don't know what those are - but they're printed in just about every firearm manual these days, and presented before most training videos]. If you don't trust yourself, then do it at the range. The range is also the appropriate place to conduct malfunction drills - #4 above.
    ~
  6. Not everyone is suited to the XDs-.45, the .45 ACP round, or sub-compact semi-automatic pistols. If you find yourself shying away from your pocket canon (even after any reliablity issues you were experiencing are resolved), then perhaps the gun or chambering isn't for you. Experiment with other guns that might suit your purpose. There is now an XDs-9, and there's many makers of subcompact pistols in a variety of calibers. A sub-compact semi-auto may not be for you - consider small frame revolvers, which can be found in a number of calibers (not just traditional revolver calibers like .38 Special & .357 Magnum, but rimless semi-auto calibers like .380 ACP, 9mm Parabellum & .45 ACP [but you should use moon clips for these types of ammunition, to speed up reloads). There is a great deal of posts in this forum regarding alternatives to the XDs-.45, so with a little digging you can find many recommended alternatives (like the Kahr CM9/PM9).

Last edited by HumVee; 06-06-2013 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Made a spelling correction & spaced out the list to make it more readable. Added some more comments.
HumVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:28 AM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 91623
Help me love my XDs 45

+ 1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SA XDM 45 5.25 Competition Model
SA XDS 45 3.3
Sig P238 Pearl
culdesac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:27 AM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 92296
Took my 10yr old son to the rangre today to shoot his22 and myself the XDs45.also took a old h&k 22 reolver,he never shot a handgun.He had a hard time pulling the trigger on it.Teaseing a ask if he wanted to shoot the 45-he said yes.Granted I stood behind and braced his hands,he shot paused and said WOW.He shot 3 more rds.Asked if he likes shooting to 22 or 45.....45 was his pick.Im a new gun owner I bought it read all this stuff and thought did Imake the wrong choice.Went to shoot it the first time and fell in love with it.Im new at this and have no problems as of yet.I keep it clean & lubed and only use 230 grain (no choice on my part only thing store has)I think HUMVEE made a great point on it was made to shoot 230 grain-makes sence.Lube it try 230 grain .....you will love this gun
PotSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:30 AM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 89449
HumVee,

Very well written. Great advice. I have had issues and I, like you obviously have, went through this forum for answers. I've done everything, and I have given the pistol to several experienced shooters to experiment with. I am experienced as well, but I never trust myself. I have both the 9 and .45 and we all have the same issues.

I think it's time for me to send my .45 back to springfield.

Anyway, your post is filled with wisdom. I would add along with lubrication, there is a break-in period. After about 500 rds through my .45 I noticed the wear on the contact parts of the XDS were not rubbing as aggressively. I can say many of my issues lessened after that.

Springfield Armory fanboy.

XD Loyalist.
Vgun316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:46 AM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 93476
I have no trouble shooting mine, however I shoot it enough only to keep sharp. It is my CCW so I will never have to shoot it all day (I hope). I have others to shoot for the longer range outings. Just my $.02.

I on the other hand believe an SD weapon should go bang on demand or wtf good is it.
Glock 30s G3
Glock 17 G3
Glock 19 G4
Glock 26 G4
Some 22's

I offered my opponents a deal: "if they stop telling lies about me, I will stop telling the truth about them"
Adlai Stevenson, campaign speech, 1952
XDLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:08 AM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 89449
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDLV View Post
I on the other hand believe an SD weapon should go bang on demand or wtf good is it.
Exactly. And that's why the xds won't be my cc weapon.

Springfield Armory fanboy.

XD Loyalist.
Vgun316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:16 AM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 80344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vgun316 View Post
HumVee,

Very well written. Great advice. I have had issues and I, like you obviously have, went through this forum for answers. I've done everything, and I have given the pistol to several experienced shooters to experiment with. I am experienced as well, but I never trust myself. I have both the 9 and .45 and we all have the same issues.

I think it's time for me to send my .45 back to springfield.

Anyway, your post is filled with wisdom. I would add along with lubrication, there is a break-in period. After about 500 rds through my .45 I noticed the wear on the contact parts of the XDS were not rubbing as aggressively. I can say many of my issues lessened after that.
I just fixed this issue today using "froglube"! Order some immediately. What a difference. My struggles with this pistol are the same as yours, and well documented in this forum. Froglube has eliminated all that by allowing the pistol to go into battery 100% of the time.

I sent my pistol to Springfield last week. They said they modified the breech wall and tuned the extractor. So I went to the range to test it out. 2nd round - FTF due to ftrb. In total, 3 failures out of 50 rounds.

I'm going to the range tomorrow to test it out. If successful I will begin a thread about this solution. My recommendation is to try froglube before sending it to Springfield. I lack confidence in their ability to remedy the issue based on my experience with them.

Froglube is the fountain of youth for firearms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

"A 9mm will kill your body. A .45 will kill your soul."
XDBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:15 PM   #9
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 93357
If I may try and help here,,

Before I even touched my new xds I put the pearce grip extentions on all the mags I have for it

I believe they will help the shooter control the flip and the slide will get more of the energy and help with functionand maybe get the round chambered fully

I have read a lot of stuff about these guns here and personally I think the flip you are getting is causing a lot if not all of the battery problems

Also if the slide gets slowed down by any means yiu could have an out of battery,, ie,, thumb riding slide in recoil and return to battery,, excesive flip,, limp wrist,,

There is a lot of stuff going on in these short throw guns ,,,, grip it like you mean it,, and I believe the pearce grip extension will help you do that

My .02

Ocharry
ocharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:28 PM   #10
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 87904
Get a talon or PRP rubber grip

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Joao01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-S Discussion Room

Search tags for this page
how to anticipate recoil less with xds .45

i love my xds

i love my xds 45
is springfield making any new xds that aren't subject to recall
love my xds .45 forum
problems with xd/s .45
sa xds 45 acp reliability issuse 2013 forums
sig p232 vs xds45
what people think about xds 45

why i love my xds

xds .45 reliability

xds 45 recoil 2013 forums

xds 45 reliability

xds involuntary fire
xds vs kahr
xds-.45 reliability
Click on a term to search for related topics.