• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

New Holster Design - proof of concept. Need your input.

This is a discussion on New Holster Design - proof of concept. Need your input. within the XD-S Discussion Room forums, part of the XD Talk category; Hi all... I'm working on a new holster design to solve a few problems. I'm a left-handed shooter. Some months back, I bought a Springfield ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-S Discussion Room » New Holster Design - proof of concept. Need your input.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:23 PM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 78822
New Holster Design - proof of concept. Need your input.

Hi all...

I'm working on a new holster design to solve a few problems. I'm a left-handed shooter. Some months back, I bought a Springfield XDS.

As a lefty, I've always found some challenges finding holsters I like for the XDS, and also for my 9mm and .45 ACP Springfields. I'm especially focused on IWB holsters, since I have a CCW permit.

So, I set about designing a holster that met my requirements.

1. The holster needed to be suspended on my belt. I didn't want the XDS sitting in the bottom of my pocket where it could get out of position when needed. I also didn't want the wear in the pockets on my WallyWorld cheap-o pants.

2. The holster needed to have a minimal print on the outside. What did show needed to be seen as a phone, iPod, digital tablet, wallet, or something other than a pistol.

3. The holster strap suspension needed to give the appearance of being a wallet or other benign object hanging from my belt.

4. Lastly, the holster strap needed to flex enough to accommodate a sitting position.

Here is what I did:

I suspended the holster on a somewhat long strap that a user may adjust to their 'belt-to-pocket' height.

The holster is fitted to the pistol. Further, the holster is asymmetrically shaped so the portion on the outside of your leg is flatter and less pronounced than the portion against your leg.

The front sight on the XDS has a reverse rake, so it grabs nylon holsters. I provided a relief groove to give an unobstructed draw to the XDS.

I glued and stitched the holster to make it durable, solid, and so it would hold it's shape.

I added loops to stabilize to strap.

This holster is a rough 'proof of concept', but I'm thinking about making them for others with XDS pistols and other pocket-able firearms. Of course, I can make a right-handed version!

The pictures will, hopefully, explain the idea well enough....

Your comments and feedback would be welcome and appreciated!

Thanks,

- Smokiniron
Attached Thumbnails
New Holster Design - proof of concept. Need your input.-hydem-holster-springer-xds_01.jpg   New Holster Design - proof of concept. Need your input.-hydem-holster-springer-xds_09.jpg   New Holster Design - proof of concept. Need your input.-hydem-holster-springer-xds_24.jpg   New Holster Design - proof of concept. Need your input.-hydem-holster-springer-xds_19.jpg   New Holster Design - proof of concept. Need your input.-hydem-holster-springer-xds_37.jpg  

Somewhere in the shadow of the Wasatch
Remove Ads
Old 01-22-2013, 10:29 PM   #2
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 16502
How does it look when you sit down? How is the draw from sitting? The only thing I dont like is the strap is really noticeable with a tucked in shirt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

US Army 2005 - 2014
Kimber Series I Compact Aluminum - My Carry
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Life Member
SAF Defenders Club Life Membership
AZCDL Life Membership

IN HELPDESK WE TRUST #2

"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!"

Capt. John Parker, Lexington militia
ArmyGuy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:23 AM   #3
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 11974
I agree with army guy. I think your concept is ok but that strap is terribly noticable. What if you put a standard belt clip style on the holster and cliped it on your pocket like a knife would be? that may hold it in the same place.

Also, what about jeans? Seems that putting that in your pocket is eating up lots of room and it wouldnt be feasable to wear that with jeans.

speedster00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:58 AM   #4
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 23926
A good pocket holster would have saved you all this trouble of making a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. It seems your main concern is the holster moving in your pocket. A quality pocket holster limits movement in the pocket.

Personally, I think your design will add to snagging and (an even more)clumsy draw due to that strap being large and taking up space in the pocket.

- Ronald Reagan
drs1321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:17 AM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 82888
I agree that a good pocket holster (heck, even a fairly inexpensive holster like a Remora or Sticky) won't move around in there. Mine is from Bear Creek, is leather, and cost $80 and I guarantee it ain't going anywhere. The strap seems to draw more attention than I'd like (I could see someone asking what's in your pocket with this over a regular pocket holster) and could cause issues when seated. If you like it - great. I'm more than happy with my standard pocket holster.
JC Higgins Ranger - .22lr
Ruger 10/22 - .22lr
Tristar Cobra - 12 gauge pump
moose97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #6
XDTalk Member

TO all, re strap, etc.

I appreciate the feedback. The strap, at least to me, is not identifiable with a firearm. Personal opinion, that's all. As for a pocket draw, the strap puts pressure on the holster shell and keeps it in place. A soft-sided holster seems less secure, less positive in position.
I really wanted to avoid having the weight of the gun and holster in my pocket, so I dodged the pocket clip idea. For me and my chunky build, carrying the weight on my belt was more comfortable, more secure, and seems less prone to making my pants sag on the gun-side.

I appreciate your comments and observations!

Old 01-23-2013, 12:31 PM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 80022
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokiniron View Post
I appreciate the feedback. The strap, at least to me, is not identifiable with a firearm. Personal opinion, that's all. As for a pocket draw, the strap puts pressure on the holster shell and keeps it in place. A soft-sided holster seems less secure, less positive in position.
I really wanted to avoid having the weight of the gun and holster in my pocket, so I dodged the pocket clip idea. For me and my chunky build, carrying the weight on my belt was more comfortable, more secure, and seems less prone to making my pants sag on the gun-side.

I appreciate your comments and observations!
I do appreciate the concept of keeping the weight on the belt and off the pocket stitching. I too, wonder about how thar single solid strap functions while sitting. Maybe a swivel to connect the belt strap section to the pocket holster section?

I have tried out some IWB holsters that work as cell phone holders on the outside. I didn't like the added bulk inside my waistband, but carry that we in certain social scenarios. Carrying in the pocket when wearing slacks can be challenging . Your design, if modified for comfort and control while sitting, would be a good alternative.

The belt clip to pocket section would need to be as discreet as possible. Today people carry all kinds of tech toys and sports accessories, so with the right material and 'look', it would just look like more urban bling.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:50 PM   #8
XDTalk Member

ArmyGuy and Speedster

Quote:
How does it look when you sit down? How is the draw from sitting? The only thing I dont like is the strap is really noticeable with a tucked in shirt.
See the attached pic. I'm a large guy, so what I'll get is different from a skinny guy fit.

The strap does not get in the way since it's soft. The gun butt is about 3/4 inches inside the lower pocket corner. I can get to it with the 2 fingers that the XDS grip permit. The grooved holster allows the reverse angled front sight to slide out freely without snagging my pocket material on the way.
The firm-sised holster allows access to my pocket without having to extend my leg as we big guys sometimes have to do to get in a pocket.
As to notice-ability.... Like a Harley rider... we all assume a wallet is attached to the belt chain or tether. I'm not sure anyone but a shooter would assume a gun was at the end of the strap. Just my opinion, though...

- Smokiniron
Attached Thumbnails
New Holster Design - proof of concept. Need your input.-sitting-hydem-holster-xds_03.jpg  

Old 01-23-2013, 01:30 PM   #9
XDTalk Member

Drs1321

Quote:
A good pocket holster would have saved you all this trouble of making a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. It seems your main concern is the holster moving in your pocket. A quality pocket holster limits movement in the pocket.
My problem is that I can't afford to experiment with a variety of pocket holsters - and I like to make thinks, so no problem...

The main problem I was solving was a matter of personal preference... I just don't like the feel of a pistol in my pant's pocket. I know the weight is there on my belt, but it's more comfortable there.

EDIT - what you see in the picture is just the strap - not the holster or gun.

- Smokiniron
Attached Thumbnails
New Holster Design - proof of concept. Need your input.-sitting-hydem-holster-xds_03.jpg  

Last edited by smokiniron; 01-23-2013 at 01:31 PM. Reason: addendum
smokiniron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:00 PM   #10
XDTalk Member

To TXDS....

Quote:
I do appreciate the concept of keeping the weight on the belt and off the pocket stitching. I too, wonder about how thar single solid strap functions while sitting. Maybe a swivel to connect the belt strap section to the pocket holster section?
and...
material and 'look', it would just look like more urban bling.
Thanks... I actually did envision a swivel, or moveable length adjustment fixture. But, I'm just wearing it when I can to see how it works. I'm in the car biz, so clients might take umbrage at my carrying... as would the corporate guys. Between my office bag and my car, I have the XDS and a Springer XD45, 5" with extended mags. I keep my friends as close a circumstance permits!

"Urban Bling" yup! I suppose if I stamped "Live to Ride" with a skull and wings on the strap, no one would notice.

The strap bulges a little, but pivots on my belt - if I don't cinch the keeper too tight. It doesn't seem to get in the way of a draw any more than my anatomy.

- Smokiniron

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-S Discussion Room

Search tags for this page
braids holster for xd
braids holster review

braids holster reviews

braids holsters

cell pal holster review

cell phone holster suspends hangs from belt
how can i put a skull design on a holster
left hand holster nylon for springfield xds
pant pal holster review
phone pal holster

springfield xds wallet holsters

urban shirts design looking like gun holster or bage

wallet holster for xds

xds holster skull design

xds pocket holster

Click on a term to search for related topics.