• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

XD-S 9mm. Why?

This is a discussion on XD-S 9mm. Why? within the XD-S Discussion Room forums, part of the XD Talk category; I know there has been a lot of excitement about the new XD-S 9mm, so this isn't meant to bash anyone who wants one and ...

Old 01-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 85474
XD-S 9mm. Why?

I know there has been a lot of excitement about the new XD-S 9mm, so this isn't meant to bash anyone who wants one and I didn't want to hijack anyone's thread either. But I can't understand what all the excitement is all about.

The XD-S 45 ACP is a truly unique gun in that it merges 21st century innovations in advanced polymer frame, striker fired handguns with the older 1911 frame single stack design resulting in light weight perfectly concealable weapon with the powerful ballistics of the 45 ACP. A one of a kind gun in today's market (soon to be copied by others I'm sure).

The new XD-S 9 mm is a mystery to me however. LAST TIME I CHECKED, 9MM ROUNDS WERE ABOUT 20% THINNER THAN 45 ACP. So in keeping with the innovative spirit of the line, a single stack XD-S 9mm itself should be roughly 20% thinner than the 45, resulting in an even more concealable weapon yet. This is obviously not what has happened. I don't want to say that Springfield was lazy with ths gun - but they were. A 9mm XD-S should be sized more closely to a modern .380 auto, not a 45. Instead I undestand that Springfield up-sized some components like the barrel to fit the thicker slide. In other words, if one CC's an XD-S 9mm you are carrying around extra material put there by the designers to make the gun bigger than it actually needs to be. Just doesn't sit well with me.
GrumpyMoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #2
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 57321
I agree.

I was hoping like hell it would be smaller than the .45, but when I flipped my XDS holster over, and saw "XDS .45acp 9mm .40s&w" I had a feeling they would all be the same size.

I was really wanting it to be smaller so I could add it to the stable, but I can say that I will not be adding it to the stable.

2 more rounds than my .45 xds? woo hoo :rolleyes
BradXDM45c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:00 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 1660
I don't see why they can't slightly stagger the 9mm rounds in the magazine. Should give a few more rounds.

Personally, I like the idea of the XDS in 9mm or .40. I currently carry a G27. and would appreciate a slightly thinner pistol. I want something the size of a Kahr PM9, but with the trigger and grip safeties the XD has.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:04 PM   #4
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 70608
Glock G30S anyone?
Old 01-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #5
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 63302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago2VP71 View Post
Glock G30S anyone?
+1000
XDguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #6
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 21738
I think you're looking at it wrong.

If they had released the 9 first, and then the 45 came out the following year, everyone would be "hole-E crap, it's as thin as the 9! This is the greatest thing since sliced wonder bread!".
But since the 9 came first, you're saying "why didn't they make the 9 any smaller than the 45?".

And I'm guessing physics and engineering has a lot to do with it, too. Only so thin that you can make a handgun and still have all the necessary functioning parts inside it.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:18 PM   #7
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 57321
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashman View Post
I think you're looking at it wrong.

If they had released the 9 first, and then the 45 came out the following year, everyone would be "hole-E crap, it's as thin as the 9! This is the greatest thing since sliced wonder bread!".
But since the 9 came first, you're saying "why didn't they make the 9 any smaller than the 45?".

And I'm guessing physics and engineering has a lot to do with it, too. Only so thin that you can make a handgun and still have all the necessary functioning parts inside it.

My LC9 is thinner, and still has the parts in it that make it go bang...
BradXDM45c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:20 PM   #8
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 81531
Could be the 9mm operates at a higher pressure, I'm not an engineer.
Sassafras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:22 PM   #9
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 56814
Did they release the specs of the Xd-s 9?
Gealousy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:22 PM   #10
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 54384
Quote:
Originally Posted by galadrium View Post
I don't see why they can't slightly stagger the 9mm rounds in the magazine. Should give a few more rounds.

Personally, I like the idea of the XDS in 9mm or .40. I currently carry a G27. and would appreciate a slightly thinner pistol. I want something the size of a Kahr PM9, but with the trigger and grip safeties the XD has.
Bingo! That's what I'm waiting for...long wait.
saltair is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-S Discussion Room

Search tags for this page
9 millimeter xd vs xds quality?

single stack xd 9mm

springfield xd compact 9mm single stack

springfield xd single stack 9mm

springfield xd-s 9mm

springfield xd-s9mm vs m&p 9c
springfield xds service 9
taurus 9mm slim vs shield
when will the xd9 slim be released?

xd s 9mm

xd slim 9mm

xd slim9mm available

xd-s 9mm

xds 9 millimeter for sale
xds single stack 9mm for sale
xds-9 vs709 slim vs mp9 shield
Click on a term to search for related topics.