• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Has anyone played around with different return springs?

This is a discussion on Has anyone played around with different return springs? within the XD-S Discussion Room forums, part of the XD Talk category; Just wondering because maybe I'm just used to the feel of a quality 1911 but the XD-S seems to have very little tension just off ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-S Discussion Room » Has anyone played around with different return springs?

Old 01-04-2013, 09:48 PM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 82014
Has anyone played around with different return springs?

Just wondering because maybe I'm just used to the feel of a quality 1911 but the XD-S seems to have very little tension just off battery. I've heard several reports of FTRB and wonder if a stiffer recoil spring would remedy some or all of them? I know there are several factors that can contribute but if you get a minute, get your XD-S, safety check it (unload it), and pull back slightly on the slide. There will be little or no real pressure holding it into battery which feels unlike every other pistol I've ever owned. Grab any other auto you have laying around and try the same thing. ?????
dvdslw is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-04-2013, 11:39 PM   #2
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 47022
I just checked my XDs that I picked up today, FINALLY (XS575XXX). This gun has not been fired yet. I find no play or loss of force holding the slide in battery. It is tight from full battery to the slide all the way to the rear.
MarkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #3
XDTalk Member

Interesting? I have felt mine and 3 others at the gun store and they all feel the same. If you pull the slide back slowly there is not much felt pressure until it gets to about 1/8-1/4 inch back. I also handled a Beretta Nano today and it felt the same so maybe its' just me???
Old 01-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #4
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 83717
The XDs has a two piece spring. Soft then hard.. Or at least mine does. Thas why it feels soft then hard. Its to normally to better manage recoil.
XDs 9mm
Spikes Tactical
ZT0300
LMF 2
AFO2

Boatswains Mate

Chive On
CoastieMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #5
XDTalk Member

Member #: 83675
Not me boy, it's working just fine so far. I don't want to mess with it.

Because of all the chatter about problems, I have been waiting for the other shoe to drop since I got the gun for Christmas. I have shot about 500 rounds, with one fail to fire at about 175 and one at about 180. Nothing since then, using a number of different types of hardball. The last 100 being the cheapest thing I could find, Blazer aluminum case. I haven't even cleaned it for the last 300 , over about a week's time, just a drop of oil on the rails and one on the barrel , as advised in the manual.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:39 PM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 82320
That difference in feel is caused by the dual spring system employed on the recoil spring assembly. The outer spring takes tension first and the inner spring engages after about 3/8" of travel. No problem, make sure the slide is all the way back when racking a round and don't let your hand follow the slide as it returns to battery... you'll be just fine!
Many other non-XD weapons

"I will never quit. I persevere and thrive on adversity"
bach33089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:48 PM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 83064
If you did want one---where would you get one??
Old 01-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #8
XDTalk Member

I'm sure Wolff will have them soon. They offer springs , guide rods and custom calibration kits for just about every gun made. I started the thread and although I have only had 2 ftf's in 650 rounds (at the hands of my wife), I'm confident enough to carry but I cant wait for the fine tuning to begin. I look foward to possibly installing a trigger group, recoil assembly, night sights, and maybe do the barell polish that others have done.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #9
XDTalk Member

Member #: 81182
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdslw View Post
I'm sure Wolff will have them soon. They offer springs , guide rods and custom calibration kits for just about every gun made. I started the thread and although I have only had 2 ftf's in 650 rounds (at the hands of my wife), I'm confident enough to carry but I cant wait for the fine tuning to begin. I look foward to possibly installing a trigger group, recoil assembly, night sights, and maybe do the barell polish that others have done.
Don't hold your breath. I'm still waiting for Wolff to offer M&P magazine springs...five years later....
BigHolesRBetter is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-S Discussion Room

Search tags for this page

anyone making xds springs

beretta nano failure to battery

beretta nano recoil spring

blazer aluminum failure to return to battery

guide rod for beretta nano

has anyones xds recoil spring failed

xd forum return spring

Click on a term to search for related topics.