• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

To Laser or Not To Laser

This is a discussion on To Laser or Not To Laser within the XD-S Discussion Room forums, part of the XD Talk category; Originally Posted by mirage2521 .... You can't use sights or a laser while moving. You cannot defend yourself while standing still. You become a stationary ...

Old 01-22-2013, 10:47 PM   #41
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 86484
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage2521 View Post
You can't use sights or a laser while moving. You cannot defend yourself while standing still. You become a stationary target.
Mirage, training is always good, and a lot about the training you post about makes sense, but just the comment above I would argue would be for a laser, as you can defend yourself while being still. You may not want to and shouldn't if you have a choice, but you may not have that choice.

You have been shot in your dominant arm and your hip and are stationary on the ground but are able to pick up the weapon with your off hand. Practiced your method with your off hand? Great, but when the threat is about ready to kill your wife and they are close together...perhaps a laser aiming device would be handy. Silly scenario that discounts the speed of encounters, adrenaline mucking up your dexterity, etc.? Maybe, but there are good reasons to have a laser if you can afford one (both financially and conceal-ability).

A laser shouldn't be relied on as the primary tool to stop the threat, but it can hardly be said it is useless or even that you shouldn't bother with it and only concentrate on one way of shooting with one training method.

Just my 2 half-cents.
bspooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-23-2013, 07:26 AM   #42
XDTalk Member

Member #: 33638
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRob View Post
Now that Crimson Trace and others have lasers available what are folks' opinions on having a laser on a daily concealed carry piece?

My primary carry is my XDS in a Crossbreed mini-tuck.

I sometimes pocket carry a Kahr PM9 with a Crimson Tracer Laser Guard
(holstered of course).
On all three of my CCW weapons I use lasers. I also use Trijicon night sights. I train using my iron sights and then with both. I align my iron sights first and always... the laser is confirmation and in the dark or in a quick episode... the laser always gives me an edge. If the battery fails or if the laser fails... my iron sights are always on target. Learn how to co-witness... that way if you are forced to pull your gun in self defense... the projectile will be on its way to your POA before you realize the laser isn't there. I would not carry without Trijicons and my lasers make things even better.

Flash
FlashSupressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:59 AM   #43
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
While I do have a laser on one of my carry pistols (A Colt New Agent--the type with no sights per se, just a trough milled down the top of the slide)...I'm not a proponent of them in most situations. Mine has them for use under very specific conditions...and then, only as a backup.

The problem with them is, most people who have them use them as a crutch, and never develop proper point shooting skills...or practice enough with them at all, figuring the laser will do all of the heavy lifting should they need to employ their SD weapon...at least, that's what I see when I am around people using lasers at the range. I'm sure it doesn't apply to anyone here.

I can see where folks with vision issues would find them helpful...not being in their situation, I'd trust them to know what's best for them.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:19 AM   #44
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 11974
I found a dealer at this past gun show that has the crimson trace for the XDS for $160. Best price ive seen by far. And I still cant make up my mind if I want one or not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
speedster00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #45
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 80996
The idea that you can't defend yourself while stationary is not true.
Derek79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:52 AM   #46
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek79 View Post
The idea that you can't defend yourself while stationary is not true.
Yes, but...a stationary target is a much easier target to hit. So while you can defend yourself...you are also more likely to take hits.

Most defensive trainers (at least the ones I am familiar with/have worked with) stress "getting off the X" as one of the first things one should do, if at all possible.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:37 PM   #47
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 81666
Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoChuck View Post
OK...so I put the Crimson Trace LG-469 on my XDs, and it was exactly what I would have wanted. Shot about 150 rounds thru...great performance targeting. The only problem is my shaky grip : )

BUT...today my beautiful little laser FELL OFF at about 75 rounds. Picked it up and found the part that wraps around the front of the trigger guard had failed and broken off on each side. Called CT and they will send me a new one. Good customer service.

The only thing I can think of is a weak point in my particular laser or, and I realize this may be a stretch...could the hammering this little 45 causes be stressing the material the laser is made of? Time will tell as more XDs fit this laser on the rails.
I posted the above on another thread on 1/11. I then sent the laser to CT a week ago, but haven't received a replacement yet. Any thoughts on what may have caused the failure would be appreciated, 'cause I'm not sure that CT will share their analysis.
TangoChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:03 PM   #48
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 80996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
Yes, but...a stationary target is a much easier target to hit. So while you can defend yourself...you are also more likely to take hits.

Most defensive trainers (at least the ones I am familiar with/have worked with) stress "getting off the X" as one of the first things one should do, if at all possible.
If I have proper cover I am probably not moving.
Derek79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:59 PM   #49
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 87003
I think having a light for use in the home is a good idea and have mine set up for my H&K and plan to put a crimson trace light on the XD-s when it comes in. Anyone tired that set up out?
H&K USP .45, XDs .45, 300 Winmag X2, M1 .30 Carbine, 300 Savage, Browning buckmark .22, Ruger Old Model single six, Savage .17HMR. Well that is the common shot items. RCBS Single stage reloader setup. Like to take my time and enjoy reloading with the kids.
jconn21074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:58 AM   #50
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 71939
Crimson trace has new laserguards coming out next week that msrp for $129 -- I've seen preorders for $99 shipped

"defender series"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-S Discussion Room

Search tags for this page
469 laser sight for springfield xds
crimson trace lg-469 laserguard for springfield xds/xd-s lg469 laser
crossbreed holster for springfield xds with rail laser
how to shape how to shape a xds crossbreed holster with laser
laser guide rod vs crimson trace xds
laser max guide rod laser too short for xd
leather+holster+for+xds+with laserguard
pocket holsters for xds45 with crimson trace

springfield hds and laser

springfield xds 45 laser sight

springfield xds 45 lg469 laser problems

will a xds 45 still fit the crossbreed mini tuck w/ the ct lg 469 laser

xds 469 laser in stock
xds holster with lg469 laser
xds with laser guard owb holsters
xds with laserguard for concelled carry ?
Click on a term to search for related topics.