• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

To Laser or Not To Laser

This is a discussion on To Laser or Not To Laser within the XD-S Discussion Room forums, part of the XD Talk category; Originally Posted by TangoChuck The feedback from the folks who say..."no to lasers" is interesting, well intended and somewhat shortsighted. In my case I have ...

Old 12-28-2012, 11:14 PM   #21
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 83546
Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoChuck View Post
The feedback from the folks who say..."no to lasers" is interesting, well intended and somewhat shortsighted. In my case I have vision focus issues caused by torn and detached retina, as well as having had lasik to correct distant vision issues...which cost me my close up vision. So, with iron sights I am able to wear corrective lenses to see them close up, but then wearing them my distance vision is shot. Bifocals are not an option for targeting. But if I don't wear lenses I can not see the gun sights. My distance vision is somewhat impaired by a astigmatism and while I can distinguish objects at a distance clearly enough to target, I can not focus with the iron sights. Hence, the laser gives me the capability to target and aim at a distance.

I can't take for granted that I won't need to fire at other than close range and COM targeting. I need to be able to target and engage at more than close in, as we all need to be able to do.

Not the best situation for any and all engagement situation, but it's all I have to work with.
Yes I wear eye glasses and when it rains out my glasses of course get drops all over it and iron sights are hard to see so in that situation a laser would be good, some conditions can call for laser use that is why I said but don't completely depend on the laser if your going to have it.
jhc37013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-28-2012, 11:21 PM   #22
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 56814
Movies make lasers cool. And they are. But not for training or SD to me. More fun then needed.
Gealousy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:53 PM   #23
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 80022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gealousy View Post
Movies make lasers cool. And they are. But not for training or SD to me. More fun then needed.
Great way to tease the cat and annoy the dog. Would throw one out for a first time shooter to get an idea about where they are pointing and then wean them of it. Instinctive point shooting is more better.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:06 AM   #24
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 23311
Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoChuck View Post
Thanks mirage. Like I said...I'll check into it. I know there are many theories on SD. And I have thought about the various scenarios. Not exactly a green bean when it come to engagement (military experience).

For me, at this point with the vision problems I have, I see a laser as a good feature to have in the bag. Again..thanks for your thoughts.
My pleasure Sir.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Up to a point a man's life is shaped by environment, heredity, and movements and changes in the world about him; then there comes a time when it lies within his grasp to shape the clay of his life into the sort of thing he wishes to be. ... Everyone has it within his power to say, this I am today, that I shall be tomorrow
Louis Dearborn L'Amour

You may now carry on with your absurd non-directional bantering.
Yocan
mirage2521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:06 AM   #25
JMB
XDTalk Member

Member #: 83966
I too like the laser. Have a Rug. LCR, IMHO it's got the smoothest trigger of the pocketguns, though I've never tried a Boberg.But, I broke my 357 Crimsontrace LCR sent it to Ruger and could not not have a CC. Good excuse huh,got an XDs. About 700 rounds so far w/o laser. I just put the trigger guard laser on. I feel a good flashlight is foremost so I know who or what I'm shooting. Once that's established after that it's all good or it's go time. Laser bang bang or laser bang bang bang. Before my CHL I never shot with both eyes open. Now I do it exclusively when not shooting for precision.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
JMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:17 AM   #26
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 72592
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage2521 View Post
There is no place for a laser on a self defense handgun. It is nothing more than a targeting device for the bad guy, a useless crutch for a weak shooter and a distraction for good shooter. Don't waste you money on a laser instead invest that money in some ammo and some training with an instructor who teaches threat focused, quick kill or sightless shooting. With minimal training you will be faster and more accurate without the laser daylight or dark. Lasers are borderline useless wastes of money.

Umm ya , OK.
BJHxdm3.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:23 AM   #27
XDTalk 2K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJHxdm3.8 View Post
Umm ya , OK.
The problem is.....you don't even know what you don't know.

Up to a point a man's life is shaped by environment, heredity, and movements and changes in the world about him; then there comes a time when it lies within his grasp to shape the clay of his life into the sort of thing he wishes to be. ... Everyone has it within his power to say, this I am today, that I shall be tomorrow
Louis Dearborn L'Amour

Yocan
Old 12-29-2012, 07:50 AM   #28
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
The problem is.....you don't even know what you don't know.

That's why it's good to have know it alls to set us straight.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:18 AM   #29
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Most users demand them. Target shooting, square range paper shooting. Seriously, where are you located? There are good instructors everywhere. Do a YouTube search on quick kill or threat focused shooting. I was so amazed at what I could do after one weekend class. Lots of practice later....I NEVER use sights on a hand gun for SD training.

Point shooting may work great, but you still have to have your head
behind the gun somewhat to be able to point and hit anything.
Lasers will let you shoot from behind cover with very little exposure
and deliver an accurate shot. I would not rely on a laser as my only
aiming option, but would be very handy in some circumstances.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:52 AM   #30
XDTalk 2K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJHxdm3.8 View Post
That's why it's good to have know it alls to set us straight.
Not at all. A know it all assumes he knows everything. Much like your post.. In this instance I have done the training and have learned a little about it. Prior to training I had no idea what I did not know. Have you training in this shooting technique or are you basing your opinions on what you have read online? Prior to my first Quick-kill Threat focused class I had not idea what I did not know. After a few years of training I know know what I need to train on and practice. Hell I am not great at it...I am barely good. Perhaps enlightened ignorance is a good word for it. Point being, without doing it...you have no clue what you don't know. I do know I can run and shoot and hit 12 inch paper plate while moving. Can you with a laser or with sights? Hell no.
Louis Dearborn L'Amour

Yocan

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-S Discussion Room

Search tags for this page
469 laser sight for springfield xds
crimson trace laser lg 469
crimson trace lg-469 laserguard for springfield xds/xd-s lg469 laser
crossbreed holster for springfield xds with rail laser
how to shape how to shape a xds crossbreed holster with laser
laser max guide rod laser too short for xd
leather+holster+for+xds+with laserguard

springfield hds and laser

springfield xds 45 laser sight

springfield xds 45 lg469 laser problems

will a xds 45 still fit the crossbreed mini tuck w/ the ct lg 469 laser

xds 469 laser in stock
xds holster with lg469 laser
xds with laser guard owb holsters
xds with laserguard for concelled carry ?
Click on a term to search for related topics.