• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

To Laser or Not To Laser

This is a discussion on To Laser or Not To Laser within the XD-S Discussion Room forums, part of the XD Talk category; Originally Posted by severx I really want the laser guard. But do NOT train only on the laser, I would say do it 3/4 iron ...

Old 12-28-2012, 10:22 AM   #11
XDTalk Supporter

Member #: 67471
Quote:
Originally Posted by severx View Post
I really want the laser guard. But do NOT train only on the laser, I would say do it 3/4 iron sights 1/4 laser. Always be prepared for the laser to not be working and don't get stuck not knowing how to aim! Just a friendly tip before the laser haters get here ;p
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowlife View Post
^..This.

I'm not big on laser sights.
I've tried them on a Sig P239 and S&W 642 and ended up selling them.

I do have one on my LCP, but the LCP is a short range point and shoot pistol.
It also has non-existent sights on the slide.
For one thing, it is nice to know where my muzzle is pointed, even from the hip pulling it out of a pocket.
And another thing, my 2 carry holsters were made for the CTC so I have no choice but to have it mounted.

I would do more research before ordering that lasermax..
From my research they can be more of a PITA than they are worth.

Nothing substitutes training with a stock iron or night sight on a self defense pistol.
Never rely on a battery operated laser when your life is on the line.
Agreed... I'm really conflicted when it comes to lasers. At times, they are nice but can not be relied on. When you least expect it, it may "blink out" on you. I removed mine from my LCP but I don;t think I'll get rid of it... incase I ever change my mind
Old 12-28-2012, 10:39 AM   #12
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 81882
Lasers are OK for a training aid. Not for self defense. IMO

I lost all my weapons in a boating accident on Lake Erie last summer. Very tragic.
DJM_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:31 PM   #13
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 47022
I've seen pics of the laser guard and it appears that the laser guard will reduce amount of grip space by 1/4" or so. The grip is short enough without making it shorter. I second the idea of using the regular sights most of the time. Shoot right and hit right.
MarkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:34 PM   #14
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 81666
The feedback from the folks who say..."no to lasers" is interesting, well intended and somewhat shortsighted. In my case I have vision focus issues caused by torn and detached retina, as well as having had lasik to correct distant vision issues...which cost me my close up vision. So, with iron sights I am able to wear corrective lenses to see them close up, but then wearing them my distance vision is shot. Bifocals are not an option for targeting. But if I don't wear lenses I can not see the gun sights. My distance vision is somewhat impaired by a astigmatism and while I can distinguish objects at a distance clearly enough to target, I can not focus with the iron sights. Hence, the laser gives me the capability to target and aim at a distance.

I can't take for granted that I won't need to fire at other than close range and COM targeting. I need to be able to target and engage at more than close in, as we all need to be able to do.

Not the best situation for any and all engagement situation, but it's all I have to work with.
TangoChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:45 PM   #15
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 83103
I always thought lasers were a gimmick, but I bought one to see first hand. The experience didn't change my mind. They aren't for me.
CarlXds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:18 PM   #16
XDTalk Member

Member #: 84399
I have a laser/light combo on my PX4-45cal...It is excellent in very tight quarters for indexing shooting when you can't or don't have time to look through the iron sights...Outside this, there is only marginal value with a laser - especialy during the day time...I suppose it would be valuable outside at night also but have never tried it...The problem with lasers at distinces beyond Very close quarters is they may in fact slow you down from the distraction...Dosn't take much movement by shooter to make that laser dance around alot. But I am sure you might be able to train through this if you are so inclined.
CombatAuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #17
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 23311
Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoChuck View Post
The feedback from the folks who say..."no to lasers" is interesting, well intended and somewhat shortsighted. In my case I have vision focus issues caused by torn and detached retina, as well as having had lasik to correct distant vision issues...which cost me my close up vision. So, with iron sights I am able to wear corrective lenses to see them close up, but then wearing them my distance vision is shot. Bifocals are not an option for targeting. But if I don't wear lenses I can not see the gun sights. My distance vision is somewhat impaired by a astigmatism and while I can distinguish objects at a distance clearly enough to target, I can not focus with the iron sights. Hence, the laser gives me the capability to target and aim at a distance.

I can't take for granted that I won't need to fire at other than close range and COM targeting. I need to be able to target and engage at more than close in, as we all need to be able to do.

Not the best situation for any and all engagement situation, but it's all I have to work with.
Chuck...you of all people need threat focused training. The secret is in the name. You don't look at your sights. You focus on the threat. I don't care who you are you will NOT be able to use sights or a laser while you are moving. In a SD situation you had better be moving. One day of threat focused training with a good instructor and you will be able to hit consistent center mass shots while running at 5-10 yards while focusing on the threat like you should be and not trying to line up sights or chase a tiny red dot Lasers are useless for SD.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Up to a point a man's life is shaped by environment, heredity, and movements and changes in the world about him; then there comes a time when it lies within his grasp to shape the clay of his life into the sort of thing he wishes to be. ... Everyone has it within his power to say, this I am today, that I shall be tomorrow
Louis Dearborn L'Amour

You may now carry on with your absurd non-directional bantering.
Yocan
mirage2521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:06 PM   #18
XDTalk 100 Member

Thanks mirage, I'll look into it. I get the idea of the concept.

One question I'd have is why do they bother to put sights on hand guns?
Old 12-28-2012, 08:48 PM   #19
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 23311
Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoChuck View Post
Thanks mirage, I'll look into it. I get the idea of the concept.

One question I'd have is why do they bother to put sights on hand guns?
Most users demand them. Target shooting, square range paper shooting. Seriously, where are you located? There are good instructors everywhere. Do a YouTube search on quick kill or threat focused shooting. I was so amazed at what I could do after one weekend class. Lots of practice later....I NEVER use sights on a hand gun for SD training.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Up to a point a man's life is shaped by environment, heredity, and movements and changes in the world about him; then there comes a time when it lies within his grasp to shape the clay of his life into the sort of thing he wishes to be. ... Everyone has it within his power to say, this I am today, that I shall be tomorrow
Louis Dearborn L'Amour

You may now carry on with your absurd non-directional bantering.
Yocan
mirage2521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:31 PM   #20
XDTalk 100 Member

Thanks mirage. Like I said...I'll check into it. I know there are many theories on SD. And I have thought about the various scenarios. Not exactly a green bean when it come to engagement (military experience).

For me, at this point with the vision problems I have, I see a laser as a good feature to have in the bag. Again..thanks for your thoughts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-S Discussion Room

Search tags for this page
469 laser sight for springfield xds
crimson trace lg-469 laserguard for springfield xds/xd-s lg469 laser
crossbreed holster for springfield xds with rail laser
how to shape how to shape a xds crossbreed holster with laser
laser guide rod vs crimson trace xds
laser max guide rod laser too short for xd
leather+holster+for+xds+with laserguard
pocket holsters for xds45 with crimson trace

springfield hds and laser

springfield xds 45 laser sight

springfield xds 45 lg469 laser problems

will a xds 45 still fit the crossbreed mini tuck w/ the ct lg 469 laser

xds 469 laser in stock
xds holster with lg469 laser
xds with laser guard owb holsters
xds with laserguard for concelled carry ?
Click on a term to search for related topics.