• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Reloading for the XDs

This is a discussion on Reloading for the XDs within the XD-S Discussion Room forums, part of the XD Talk category; Steve, For general practice I shoot Hornady 230 gr. FMJ-FP bullets. I got 5,000 of them bulk as a deal some years ago and use ...

Old 12-17-2012, 05:41 PM   #11
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 81167
XDS Loads

Steve,

For general practice I shoot Hornady 230 gr. FMJ-FP bullets. I got 5,000 of them bulk as a deal some years ago and use them for practice in my 1911's and the XDS. With 5.0 gr. of Bullseye they have manageable recoil, function well, and are accurate. Although FMJ, I think they would do OK for defense with the FP. Pack a nice wallop! I also shoot 185 gr, XTP JHPs with 6.4 gr. of Bullseye as my defense load. They are moving smartly but the recoil is manageable in the XDS. Both loads function well in the XDS and my 1911s. BTW both loads using Winchester primers.

Ed
1911XDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #12
XDTalk Member

Member #: 83640
I have always use Barnes 230gr hollow point bullets and 5gr Alliant Bullseye gunpowder with CCI primers - 1.2" OAL. Works great in all my 45ACP handguns.
bonecollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:16 PM   #13
XDTalk Member

PS: For the record I never use any reloads in my concealed carry guns - only for when I practice. Don't want to have to defend in court why I reload my own ammo if I ever have to pull my pistol - and then defend my actions.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:32 PM   #14
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 38157
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonecollector View Post
PS: For the record I never use any reloads in my concealed carry guns - only for when I practice. Don't want to have to defend in court why I reload my own ammo if I ever have to pull my pistol - and then defend my actions.
As a guy that understands policy and procedures I understand this statement a little. As a guy that is very technical and by the book I do not understand why I would have to explain or defend my reloading in a court of law. In which case I can because I keep records, and they are within specifications.
I guess if I choose to use reloads in my carry gun or home defense gun and trust them with my life, then I defend myself with them, I go to jail?
Old 12-17-2012, 08:42 PM   #15
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 52992
I use 230 grain bayou Burt's with 3.7 Clays. Pleasant load for target/practice shooting.
XDMreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:57 PM   #16
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 81744
not that it matters all that much but presently I am using 4.3 gr. of titegroup topped with extreme 230gr hard cast a bit smokey, but gives a nice tight group out to 15 yards and they hit exactly the same as my SD load.... federal hydra-shok
weeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:42 AM   #17
XDTalk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Clubman View Post
As a guy that understands policy and procedures I understand this statement a little. As a guy that is very technical and by the book I do not understand why I would have to explain or defend my reloading in a court of law. In which case I can because I keep records, and they are within specifications.
I guess if I choose to use reloads in my carry gun or home defense gun and trust them with my life, then I defend myself with them, I go to jail?
Stranger things have happened. There are many case studies done (see books written by Masood Ayob) that support using only factory loads when carrying. If you want to argue the point in court - be my guest. I choose the path of least resistance - so that an anti-gun prosecutor cannot use it against me. It is a personal choice that we are all free to make.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:01 PM   #18
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 72990
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Clubman View Post
One of the cases cited by Massad Ayoob (in which he was an expert defense witness) involved a shooting which the shooter claimed the shooting was an accident, and the victim was killed in a struggle for the gun. However, the autopsy report noted no powder burns, etc (so appeared not to be a close range shot) so the shooter was charged with homicide. Turned out he (shooter) was using handloads. In defense testing of the reloads, given the precise loading data, the defense tests noted that due to various characteristics, and at the distances involved, there was not the typical powder marks normally expected. However, the prosecution refused to test the handloads, claiming that there was no way to be absolutely sure that what was now being claimed as the components of the reload were the same as those used in the fatal shot. As a result, defense test results were not admitted in court. Prosecution tests of factory rounds all showed characteristic powder burns. So the charges stuck, and the shooter went to trial for homicide. That is one reason why experts like Ayoob recommend against the use of handloads for defense.

Jim R
Wisconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:03 PM   #19
RDP
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 79093
I load 200 swc and 4.1 grains of Trail Boss shoot very well.
Rich
RDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:56 PM   #20
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 83734
I'm loading 185 gr. RNHB Barry's Bullets with 4.5 grains of Clays.
WisconsinXDS is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-S Discussion Room

Search tags for this page
can the dpringfield xds 45 shoot reloads?
can the xds 45 shoot reloads?
does the xds shoot reloads good

good reload for xds

reloading for springfield xds

reloading for the springfield xds

reloading for the xds

reloading for xds

reloading xds talk forums

springfield xds reload
springfield xds shoot reloads
what oal reload for xds
why wont my xds45 shoot reloads?
xds .45 handloads

xds reloading 45 acp

xds reloads

Click on a term to search for related topics.