• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

XDS - prone to jamming?

This is a discussion on XDS - prone to jamming? within the XD-S Discussion Room forums, part of the XD Talk category; So, I was out of town with my wife this weekend and went to a gun range while she was getting her hair done. I ...

Old 08-13-2012, 06:11 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 72453
XDS - prone to jamming?

So, I was out of town with my wife this weekend and went to a gun range while she was getting her hair done. I rented an XDS and got 50 rounds of .45 to shoot for a little while. I own a 5.25 .40 XDM but have wanted to try the XDS.

I set up, load the gun, pull back the slide, and try to shoot. Nothing. Hmmm. Okay, maybe there's a safety or something on the XDS that I don't know about? Try again, and again. Finally, I give up and, in keeping with the range rules, leave the XDS there pointed down range with the magazine out and get the range master. He looks at me like I'm nuts, goes and tries it himself, and has the same issue. He tries to tell me that I'm not pull back the slide fast enough as it's not slamming back all the way.

Okay, fair enough, I try that. It fires for awhile and then jams 3 more times during my ˝ hour. On the last time, it took him about 8 minutes to get the bullet out as it was pretty stuck.

He ends up not charging me for the rental of the gun and says that he's going to ship it back. Is this common? Maybe they're not cleaning it well at the end of each day? I clean my XDM after every range trip and haven't ever had a single jam (about 600 rounds through it so far). It was Federal FMJ ammunition (can't remember more than that).

I've thought about getting an XDS at some point but now am hesitant.
karudzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #2
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 77977
I own an XD-S and love it. At first I had an issue 'sling shotting' a round into the chamber, but quickly determined I wasn't pulling the slide far enough back. There is actually an audible click when the slide goes back far enough (with an inserted loaded mag).

The click appears to be from the internal portion of the slide that contacts the shell - it clicks as it passes over the rim of the shell.

Racking the slide isn't as fluid as lets say, racking my glock. Once I figured out the issue and made sure I racked it properly, zero issues/complaints.
MisterEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:51 PM   #3
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 69307
And not to mention, not hanging on to the XDS properly can lead to all sorts of other issues including feeding or ejecting rounds

Quote:
As for being OT...thread drift is the rule around here. Embrace it.

Quote:
I was anti-glock for a long time. I have always been a contrarian and just didn't want to be one of THEM.
3shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:03 PM   #4
XDTalk Member

Member #: 74920
As per the manual, use the slide release to chamber a round. Do not sling shot it.
Rubline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:06 PM   #5
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 77221
I shot my XDs for the first time today. Bought it brand new yesterday. I put 200 rounds through it and not one problem.
Mossberg 500 w/ pistol grip and 18" barrel
joshmorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:07 PM   #6
XDTalk Newbie

Thanks, guys. No limp wristing here.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:14 PM   #7
XDTalk Member

Member #: 72055
I also rented an xds and purchased a 50 round box of ammo to see what all the hype was about. I had no issues whatsoever and wanted my gf to try it as well. She had no issues either, we both used the slide lock(not sure if that is the proper term) for the first mag and racked it back too. Fortunately for me she didn't want to fire the weapon anymore after her second mag so I finished off the box of ammo and she went back to shooting an xd9sc which she was more comfortable with. No jams or anything with either rental. It may have been an isolated case karudzo. I was expecting to have issues after reading about issues with this particular pistol. Not one hiccup. I liked the xds so much I drove around to all the gun stores until I found a store that had one, then I put a down payment on one because i was worried that I wouldn't find another one for a while. I'll be bringing her home with my next paycheck. Hopefully the one I have waiting for me will be just as reliable.
DiedTrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #8
XDTalk Newbie

Thanks, my guess is that they're not cleaning it enough or properly.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:16 PM   #9
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 75787
Perhaps the rental needed to be cleaned and lubed.
Also, you do have to clean the mags sometimes or the rounds will not fully set, this can cause failure to feed problems.
I have noticed most rentals are minimally maintained.

NRA Life Member
KentB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:19 PM   #10
XDTalk 20K Member

Member #: 75159
Quote:
Originally Posted by karudzo View Post
Thanks, my guess is that they're not cleaning it enough or properly.
This!^^

NRA Endowment Member, Florida Carry Member, FRA Member
KCCO
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

STITCS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
RetiredFCC is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-S Discussion Room

jam, jammed, xds

Search tags for this page
how toto keep a springfield xds 45acp from jamming
repair xds 45 jamming on first round
springfield xds 45 jaming

springfield xds 45 jamming

springfield xds jamming

why does my new xds 45 jam
xds .45 jams
xds 45 extended magazine jams

xds 45 for sale

xds 45 jamming

xds 45 jamming problems
xds 45 jams
xds 9mm jamming
xds jam

xds jamming

xds jamming on first shot
Click on a term to search for related topics.