• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

XDS - prone to jamming?

This is a discussion on XDS - prone to jamming? within the XD-S Discussion Room forums, part of the XD Talk category; Originally Posted by Stratajema It's never the fault of the XDS, always the fault of the user. C'mon, the first thing an experienced range officer ...

Old 08-14-2012, 10:54 PM   #21
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 66064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratajema View Post
It's never the fault of the XDS, always the fault of the user.

C'mon, the first thing an experienced range officer would suspect as the cause of the problem would be a carbon fouled range gun. But he mentioned returning the gun, not cleaning and lubing it. LOL
This is the smartest thing I've read that you've posted!

I'm sure the first line was ment to be sarcastic but most of the time is true. Which if I remember you like the truth!
richeyo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-04-2012, 07:49 PM   #22
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 80149
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNStein View Post
Also keep in mind that it could have been a malfunctioning gun. Users here and elsewhere have sent their XDS back to Springfield to fix and some others have even got replacements. There does seem to be a portion of folks out there who got a bad batch (like myself) but they are the minority.
I have a sub-compact XD9, sub-compact XD40, and Ruger LC9, and I have never had any of them jam...ever. The XD40 and XD9 in particular feel and perform flawlessly with every shot. I've also shot many other pistols without incident.

That being said, I bought a brand new XDS the other week and I was very disappointed. The first clip jammed on the 3rd shot. The second clip had no issues so I figured it was just a fluke. Then it really went sour. The third and fourth clips had two jams a piece. That's 20 shots with 5 jams. When it shot, it shot great. I was very accurate with it and it was surprisingly smooth and pleasant to shoot for a lightweight 45.

I find it interesting that everyone here (aside from FrankNStein) is so quick to fault the range or the user. I've always been a big fan of Springfield and their XD's. I keep them regularly cleaned because I know that it can affect the gun's performance and longevity. I've also never found them to be ammo finicky. I have a friend that has put close to 3,000 rounds in his XD40, never cleaned it, and hardly ever had an incident. On a range or not, this gun hasn't been on the market very long at all...hardly long enough to warrant the jamming that the OP was describing even if it hasn't been cleaned, which I would doubt.

Some of these apparently are just plain junk. I know I plan on trying to get a replacement. Like I said, I've been a big fan of the XD line but the XDS has been very disappointing so far.
CCME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #23
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 31787
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCME View Post
I have a sub-compact XD9, sub-compact XD40, and Ruger LC9, and I have never had any of them jam...ever. The XD40 and XD9 in particular feel and perform flawlessly with every shot. I've also shot many other pistols without incident.

That being said, I bought a brand new XDS the other week and I was very disappointed. The first clip jammed on the 3rd shot. The second clip had no issues so I figured it was just a fluke. Then it really went sour. The third and fourth clips had two jams a piece. That's 20 shots with 5 jams. When it shot, it shot great. I was very accurate with it and it was surprisingly smooth and pleasant to shoot for a lightweight 45.

I find it interesting that everyone here (aside from FrankNStein) is so quick to fault the range or the user. I've always been a big fan of Springfield and their XD's. I keep them regularly cleaned because I know that it can affect the gun's performance and longevity. I've also never found them to be ammo finicky. I have a friend that has put close to 3,000 rounds in his XD40, never cleaned it, and hardly ever had an incident. On a range or not, this gun hasn't been on the market very long at all...hardly long enough to warrant the jamming that the OP was describing even if it hasn't been cleaned, which I would doubt.

Some of these apparently are just plain junk. I know I plan on trying to get a replacement. Like I said, I've been a big fan of the XD line but the XDS has been very disappointing so far.
Well I must be lumped in with that minority that "got a bad batch". I bought my XDs as a possible carry gun for summertime. My first visit to the range, I could not get through a box of ammo without numerous jambs, misfires, whatever you want to classify it as (slide not in full battery and primer is struck by firing pin but not enough to fire). The only constant was that it happened on the second or third round almost everytime. I was pretty frustrated and contacted Springfield, they suggested that I must not be shooting the gun properly or that the gun was dirty and not properly lubed. Keep in mind, I have put less than fifty rounds through the gun at this point. So I think, regroup, clean the gun and thouroughly lube it and make sure I am holding the gun properly and try again. Back at the range, same results. Springfield is contacted and the gun goes back for an armor to look at, three weeks later the gun is returned stating that there is no problem. I take the gun back to the range, first magazine, third round fails to fire. I continue to attempt to shoot the rest of the ammo with the same results. I have tried three different brands of "brand name" ammo. I own several other brands and compact guns and have never experienced this type of problem. the closest gun I can compare it to is my M&P Shield, 40. It has had over one thousand rounds through it without a single problem. The bottom line is that Springfield needs to come clean on this and first admit that there is a problem and second, make it right. Too many people are experiencing this same problem.

Thoughts, comments??
Cipar-BSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:45 PM   #24
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 33778
Same issues here...I just took my brand new XDS out to the range today for the first time. I field stripped and cleaned it before I took it out.

Several failure to feeds and the main problem was a failure to return to battery. It's like the slide would stop a few mm short of cycling. I am not pleased to say the least.

I have several carry guns and I think i'm a decent shot. In fact, when the gun was actually shooting, it was very accurate. So I'm more inclined to think it's something with the gun. I'm going to strip and clean it again and head back to the range. If it doesn't get any better, I'm sending it back as well.
TRUST8383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:50 PM   #25
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 39133
We're all gripping it wrong, is what the folks on the internet will tell you. To be fair, I had another shooter shoot my XDS and he could not replicate my failures using the same ammo. But at the same time, he also could not identify anything I was doing wrong with my grip.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
kf6tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:04 PM   #26
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 80158
Karudzo I also rented an XDs before purchasing and had the same jamming issues. The gun was extremely dirty. I bought mine and went to the range last weekend and put 100 rounds through it with no problems. While cleaning, I did notice that it seemed to be dirtier than others with same number of rounds.
Lesmchl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #27
XDTalk Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipar-BSV View Post
Well I must be lumped in with that minority that "got a bad batch"...The bottom line is that Springfield needs to come clean on this and first admit that there is a problem and second, make it right. Too many people are experiencing this same problem.

Thoughts, comments??
Basically this ^^
Old 10-05-2012, 01:07 PM   #28
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 77726
Quote:
Originally Posted by kf6tac View Post
To be fair, I had another shooter shoot my XDS and he could not replicate my failures using the same ammo. But at the same time, he also could not identify anything I was doing wrong with my grip.
There seems to be an awful lot of this going on as well tho. If I was having problems and handed my gun to someone else or sent it in to SA and they had 0 issues I would look into what I was doing wrong before bad mouthing a company. Too many people in here THINK they know everything there is to know and refuse to consider the possibility that they are the problem. Sure there will always be some bad apples to get thru QC, but if it was a bad design there would be a ton more people with issues IMO!! I stick by my stance that this little hand cannon just isn't right for everyone out there.
cperalta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:24 PM   #29
XDTalk Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cperalta View Post
There seems to be an awful lot of this going on as well tho. If I was having problems and handed my gun to someone else or sent it in to SA and they had 0 issues I would look into what I was doing wrong before bad mouthing a company. Too many people in here THINK they know everything there is to know and refuse to consider the possibility that they are the problem. Sure there will always be some bad apples to get thru QC, but if it was a bad design there would be a ton more people with issues IMO!! I stick by my stance that this little hand cannon just isn't right for everyone out there.
Only one person said that they experienced that scenario. As for SA saying there is no problem...that's practically expected. The OP said the range operator couldn't get it to fire either. As for mine, it jammed on my friend and my father who were both with me at the time. Both of them own .357 magnums that they regularly and accurately shoot. One of them has a judge magnum. If none of us can hold this gun properly than this is the most temperamental hand gun I've ever held (yes I realize limp wristing comes into play on automatics but being able to accurately shoot another high caliber weapon is indicative of grip).

I've worked quite a bit with manufacturing and it is never as cut and dry as you try to make it sound. It isn't just a rare bad apple or mass lemons. You can quite easily have bad batches depending on the route, resource group, or even the BOM (depending on if suppliers vary or if you got a bad batch of RM). I don't believe bad design has anything to do with it.

As I said, I generally think Springfield makes superior products. I've never owned nor shot one that has given me any trouble...until recently. That's what makes this particularly upsetting. I'm not trying to flame but just because a lot if people are satisfied customers doesn't mean there isn't a major issue with certain products. Frankly, I find all of this "it must be your fault" stuff a bit off-putting.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:02 PM   #30
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 77726
I am not saying yours doesn't have problems and I also understand bad batches. I race R/C cars as my primary hobby and bad batches are quite common in many of the parts associated with an R/C car. The reason I don't think it's a "bad batch" is I have been following this thread for a while before joining myself and the people with problems don't seem to be all close in serial numbers, they are all over from 503's to 520's

Maybe the production is shared among 3 or 4 machines and one particular machine is the problem and all other guns that came off of machine 1, 2, or 3 are all fine. I also feel that if SA was really seeing a whole lot of these they would halt production for the time and take a deeper look into things. To me they seem like a pretty good company that will make things right if they are wrong.
cperalta is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-S Discussion Room

jam, jammed, xds

Search tags for this page
repair xds 45 jamming on first round
springfield xds 45 issues
springfield xds 45 jaming

springfield xds 45 jamming

springfield xds jamming

xds 45 for sale

xds 45 jamming

xds 45 jamming problems
xds 45 jams
xds 9mm jamming
xds jam

xds jamming

Click on a term to search for related topics.