• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Recoil Spring Assembly issue. SA comes thru! UPDATE!

This is a discussion on Recoil Spring Assembly issue. SA comes thru! UPDATE! within the XD-S Discussion Room forums, part of the XD Talk category; Good news: Got my XDS last Tuesday. I've been playing with it but not firing it because my range in closed for renovations. I greased ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-S Discussion Room » Recoil Spring Assembly issue. SA comes thru! UPDATE!

Old 08-13-2012, 01:30 PM   #1
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 72609
Thumbs up Recoil Spring Assembly issue. SA comes thru! UPDATE!

Good news: Got my XDS last Tuesday. I've been playing with it but not firing it because my range in closed for renovations. I greased it up and started racking it. Like all of you said, if I greased it up it would loosen up and it did! And, it didn't take much racking either.

Bad news: I noticed after racking it about 50 times that the Recoil Spring Assembly was showing some metal. With the slide locked open and the rod exposed (the larger of the 2), the rod showed gouges not just finish wear. The end of the spring must have a burr in it that scraped the metal rod over and over each time I racked it. Didn't seem to affect racking it other than that but I was concerned over time that as the spring slips around the rod that these gouges would continue and weaken the rod. The metal was actually stripping off. I haven't heard of this yet on the forum.

Good news: I sent pix to Springfield this AM and I'm getting a new Recoil Spring Assembly in the mail today! Talk about awesome service. They didn't even want the original one back to verify the problem.

Here's my crappy pix:

Last edited by DAO.Diva; 12-22-2013 at 05:13 AM.
DAO.Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-13-2012, 03:35 PM   #2
XDTalk Member

Member #: 60245
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAO.Diva View Post
Good news: Got my XDS last Tuesday. I've been playing with it but not firing it because my range in closed for renovations. I greased it up and started racking it. Like all of you said, if I greased it up it would loosen up and it did! And, it didn't take much racking either.

Bad news: I noticed after racking it about 50 times that the Recoil Spring Assembly was showing some metal. With the slide locked open and the rod exposed (the larger of the 2), the rod showed gouges not just finish wear. The end of the spring must have a burr in it that scraped the metal rod over and over each time I racked it. Didn't seem to affect racking it other than that but I was concerned over time that as the spring slips around the rod that these gouges would continue and weaken the rod. The metal was actually stripping off. I haven't heard of this yet on the forum.

Good news: I sent pix to Springfield this AM and I'm getting a new Recoil Spring Assembly in the mail today! Talk about awesome service. They didn't even want the original one back to verify the problem.

Here's my crappy pix:
Mine has that as well. I'll have to call them. I was putting it off because I did not want to send my whole gun back.
xPredator86x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:23 PM   #3
XDTalk Supporter

Member #: 67234
SA has great Customer Service! Great to hear of them taking care of you! Over 300 rds through mine and it still looks good!

XD-M 9mm 3.8 Compact
XD-S 45ACP 3.3
Glock 21 Gen4 45ACP
Taurus PT709 Slim 9mm
Mossberg 500 Tactical
Colt M4 6920 MP FDE 5.56/223
Beretta CX4 Storm 9mm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Torked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
XDTalk 1K Member

Just wanted to say that I received the new RSA today. It only took 3 days to get it. After changing out the old one and racking the slide a dozen or so times, I am happy to report that there is no marring/scraping/gouging of any sort!

Whew! Thank you SA! Excellent Customer Service.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 73486
Was the problem caused by a serpentining recoil spring? Others have posted pictures of that.
Stratajema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:30 PM   #6
XDTalk 1K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratajema View Post
Was the problem caused by a serpentining recoil spring? Others have posted pictures of that.
(I didn't know what serpentining was so I had to search the forum and found it.) I really do believe it was the end of the spring having a burr or rough cut and then dragging on the rod when I racked it. The spring tip lined up with the gouge line. But, I don't really know and SA didn't want the spring or my gun back to figure it out. They just sent me a new RSA.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:37 PM   #7
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 77877
Having the same problem with my recoil spring after 180 rounds. Will call SA Tuesday. No other issues.

Last edited by mistaron; 09-01-2012 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Add photo
mistaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:37 AM   #8
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 78837
Got mine today and racked 'er only three times and it's doing the same thing as the first posted pic above. There are scratches on that tube..

Check out my sponsor!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

AA12Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:26 PM   #9
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 77877
I called SA and sent them a picture of the chewed up plate. They said it was normal and was designed to do that. I think I'll be looking for a Glock.
mistaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:37 PM   #10
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 78090
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistaron View Post
I called SA and sent them a picture of the chewed up plate. They said it was normal and was designed to do that. I think I'll be looking for a Glock.
The OP was talking about the guide rod itself, not the end of the guide rod. The end of my guide rod "plate" is scratched on several of my pistols. Pretty sure it's normal wear and tear.
smknjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-S Discussion Room

Search tags for this page
how many rounds is the xds recoil spring good for
replacement recoil springs for xds
springfield xds recall

springfield xds recoil spring

springfield xds recoil spring assembly

springfield xds recoil spring problem
xd recoil spring assembly
xds 45 recoil spring
xds recall
xds recoil assembly

xds recoil spring

xds recoil spring assembly

xds recoil spring assembly issue
xds recoil spring guide rod wear
xds recoil spring issue
xds recoil spring replacement
Click on a term to search for related topics.