• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Best XDs carry ammo

This is a discussion on Best XDs carry ammo within the XD-S Discussion Room forums, part of the XD Talk category; The best ammo is what you shoot best and your gun likes. For the XDS I started with the top 3 that I shot well ...

Old 07-22-2012, 04:16 PM   #11
XDTalk Member

Member #: 75147
The best ammo is what you shoot best and your gun likes. For the XDS I started with the top 3 that I shot well with my XD 9SC: Ranger-T, Federal HST, and Golden Saber. I then added a less expensive (as compared to cheap) ammo for range use, Federal Classic / Hi-Shok #45D. Come to find out, my XDS (or me in combo with the XDS) does not shoot Golden Saber well. I'll use up my remaining 150 but will not restock that ammo.

For the combo of me and my XDS, Federal HST works best. Also, those 45D's worked sweet too, so I've identified a carry round and a target round. Doubt I will deviate from those.

Your mileage will vary, and what works well for one may not be the favorite of another. The important thing is to identify what works best for you!
Wolf_Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-22-2012, 04:16 PM   #12
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratajema View Post
Ya know, the XDS is a short barrel gun.

People need to consider ammo specifically engineered for short barrel guns that helps reduce the blinding flash of night firing and reduces recoil. Best choice would be Speer Gold Dot short barrel ammo in 230 grain Speer Ammo - Short Barrel

The ammo to use for a short-barrel .45 auto XDS (or XDM) is listed second to last on this product page: Speer Ammo - Ballistics Tables

The Hornady Critical Defense is also for short barrel guns, however, they did not make it in a 230 grain bullet weight.
"short barrel" rounds are not necessary for proper performance.

I've shot several of the rounds listed in the links I provided out of a 3" auto and a 2.5" revolver, and in a wetpack medium found that they got adequate penetration and decent expansion.

And the 185gr critical defense is a terrible choice, no matter the barrel length.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:15 PM   #13
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 73486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
"short barrel" rounds are not necessary for proper performance.

I've shot several of the rounds listed in the links I provided out of a 3" auto and a 2.5" revolver, and in a wetpack medium found that they got adequate penetration and decent expansion.

And the 185gr critical defense is a terrible choice, no matter the barrel length.
Not needed for proper performance but are marketed for optimal performance to reduce muzzle flash at night, which can affect your follow-up shot.

If people want a non-short barrel ammo, then it is pretty safe to say that Winchester PDX1 is one of the most accurate and reliable ammo around and would be my next choice.
Stratajema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:31 PM   #14
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
Actually, while the PDX1 got some of the best penetration in my tests, the bonded design gave it very limited expansion; slightly over .5, if memory serves.

HST and Ranger-T+p were some of the better performers, among with the Barnes Tac-X Copper HP. Note that HST and Ranger both are made with low flash propellants...

Like I said earlier, though...choose one of the rounds off the links I posted earlier, make sure the pistol runs it,and don't get caught up in the hype with boutique loads.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:00 PM   #15
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 75787
Quote:
Originally Posted by zee View Post
Speer Gold Dot 230gr JHP's
Add 1 for the Gold Dot 230 JHP.
No need for +P in a 45.
I shot 20 with no problems.

NRA Life Member
KentB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #16
XDTalk Member

Member #: 10966
I have gold dots in everything. I did run across a local shop on Saturday that had some Ranger T ammo, so I picked up a box. He had 9 too, so I may go back and buy a box of that for my XD9.
dwpoyner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:07 PM   #17
XDTalk Member

Member #: 75784
Federal HST
tommyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:37 PM   #18
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 48684
IMO....
1.) .45ACP 230gr Speer Gold Dot.
2.) Liberty Ammunition Halo-Point .45ACP (most have never heard of it)
I cocktail both in my mags.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:30 PM   #19
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 24965
Thanks for the info, guys. I suppose you're right that the .45 doesn't really need +p ammo. Can you tell I've owned too many other guns, like the .380 and 9mm? Still, the .45 has been my favorite round, and now with the XDs, I can easily carry and conceal it.
MisterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:31 PM   #20
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 75628
WWB Target

Ranger-T HD. Because you may never get a second chance to make a first impression.

I don't carry, yet.
r1derbike is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-S Discussion Room

Search tags for this page
45 acp xds compact best ammo
best 45 acp ammo for springfield xds
best 45 acp ammo for xds
best 9mm ammo for xds
best ammo for a xds 45 acp
best ammo for springfield xds
best ammo for springfield xds .45 acp
best ammo for xds

best ammo for xds 45

best ammo for xds 45 acp
best ammo springfield armory xds 45
best ammo xds45
good ammo for xds
whats best bullet for springfield xds 45
will magtech hollow points jam in a springfield xds 9mm
xds 45 critical defense gel test you tube
Click on a term to search for related topics.