• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

XDS Range Report - EJECT EJECT EJECT!!!!

This is a discussion on XDS Range Report - EJECT EJECT EJECT!!!! within the XD-S Discussion Room forums, part of the XD Talk category; Originally Posted by Obscura They ditched the lacquer years ago. Modern Tula is polymer coated and the "glue" thing is urban legend. (best I can ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-S Discussion Room » XDS Range Report - EJECT EJECT EJECT!!!!

Old 07-04-2012, 01:13 AM   #11
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 69163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obscura View Post
They ditched the lacquer years ago. Modern Tula is polymer coated and the "glue" thing is urban legend. (best I can tell) There is something about the expansion of steel -vs- brass and not getting as good of a seal in the chamber causing problems in many AR-15's I read a bunch of reviews that my Ruger SR-556 will not cycle steel case ammo. I trusted the reviews and stuck with brass. Might be the same thing happening with the XDS.
Thanks for the info on the Tula being polymer vs Lacquer. Didn't know that.

Brass being much softer than steel, it would make perfect sense that it would be able to more readily expand and create a better seal.

I did have one failure to eject like yours, but with a UMC round. I checked the rim of the casing thinking the extractor my not have gotten a good purchase and may have left tell tale scarring. Didn't see any.
saluki6589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-04-2012, 01:23 AM   #12
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 69163
Quote:
Good idea, unfortunately I don't have any calipers.
BTW...you may have seen this already, but Freedom is having a 5% off sale starting tomorr..errr today. Coupon code July4th5off. Figured I'd pass it along.
saluki6589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:33 AM   #13
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 75628
I remember someone here or elsewhere, posted a youtube video (don't remember if it was the XDs) on a "running" range, where he had many FTEs during the course, with the steel ammo. Wish I could find that now. I'm old and feeble, please forgive me.

Have a new XDs, no rounds fired until something is demonstrably proven, and a fix from SA.

Thanks for all the information everyone is providing with their experiences. Please stay safe.
r1derbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:37 AM   #14
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 69307
Quote:
I hate to say it but shouldn't it run dirty?
YES!!!!!

Quote:
As for being OT...thread drift is the rule around here. Embrace it.

Quote:
I was anti-glock for a long time. I have always been a contrarian and just didn't want to be one of THEM.
3shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:56 AM   #15
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki6589 View Post
Tula has a lacquer on the case doesn't it? Could it be what the AR's see...when the chamber gets hot the lacquer creates a "glue", combined with the carbon, causes the casing to stick?
Sigh.

No, it doesn't, and no it won't. that's just uninformed interwebz rumor.

Looks like this XDs has a problem, and should go back to SA.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:57 AM   #16
XDTalk 20K Member

Member #: 75159
I don't shoot anything I can't reload. Don't care how cheap it is. Brass seals better in the chamber when fired and I personally just don't care for steel on steel contact in my chambers. MHO!

NRA Endowment Member, Florida Carry Member, FRA Member
KCCO
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

STITCS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
RetiredFCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:04 AM   #17
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 15044
Same problem with cheap Euro Bloc ammo in my mini and yes, It is a Combination of the steel case lacquer and the brass expansion. This isn't an "interweb myth". You need to clean the everlovin crap out of the chamber area..

This is why I quit shooting the cheap Academy house re-branded as well. I want to shoot more often for less as well, but don't want all my shooting sessions to turn into "FTE Clearing Drills". I can get the Remington UMC 250box for $89.95 from the local Walmarts when they have them. By the box that is cheap enough for me and last range trip was 1,000rds two pistols ZERO issues. Other than schorching hot pistols and blisters from triggers.

YMMV but for me I won't buy the cheapest or any bloc ammo anymore. Not worth the headache

...still lacing them left over right

A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Devil Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:04 AM   #18
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 53056
Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki6589 View Post
BTW...you may have seen this already, but Freedom is having a 5% off sale starting tomorr..errr today. Coupon code July4th5off. Figured I'd pass it along.
Thank You! Happy Independence Day.
Obscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:14 AM   #19
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 71812
I agree with Retired, the steel on steel as Im no expert but have been told it will put wear on your pistol alot faster than brass. I would rather not take the chance.
fedmanshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:18 AM   #20
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedmanshooter View Post
I agree with Retired, the steel on steel as Im no expert but have been told it will put wear on your pistol alot faster than brass. I would rather not take the chance.
Except, of course, it isn't actually steel on steel.

Again, there is a polymer coating on the case that actually comes in contact with the chamber, etc.

Of course, this doesn't sound as good as OMG! THE STEEL CASINGS WILL WRECK YOUR GUN! on teh interwebz.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-S Discussion Room

fte, tula, xdm, xds

Search tags for this page
gun vise for presicion shooting
is shooting steal case ammo bad for my xdm 9mm
lock for xds case

monarch steel 9mm ammo in xds

springfield armory 9mm wont eject
springfield xds failure to eject
sr-556 steel case ammo

tul ammo safe t use sig 2022

tulammo in sig 2022
xd9 short stroke
xds 9 millimeter and tula ammo
xds 9mm with steel ammo
xds failur to eject

xds failure to eject

xds mag ejects during firing
xds steel cased ammo
Click on a term to search for related topics.