• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Xds light strikes

This is a discussion on Xds light strikes within the XD-S Discussion Room forums, part of the XD Talk category; Originally Posted by nickanto Took mine to the range for the first time today, had two light strikes and the slide only locked back once ...

Old 08-19-2012, 11:26 PM   #71
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 67622
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickanto View Post
Took mine to the range for the first time today, had two light strikes and the slide only locked back once out of 10 magazines. I was shooting blazer brass and hornady tap ammo. Emailed SA, see what they say.
The light strikes was it the Blazer Brass.

Riding my Harley is like being on a journey that never wants to end
nwmarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-10-2012, 12:45 AM   #72
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 33778
Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki6589 View Post
Spoke with Vicky (very nice lady) at SA. Explained the issues I (and other XDS owners) am having with the light strikes and firing pin damage. Vicky wanted to speak with a tech (Brad) prior to sending a FedEx return label.

Brad told Vicky (I was not given the opportunity to speak directly with him) that the light strikes seem like the gun is not going into full battery, but had no comment about the firing pin damage. I told Vicky I had pictures of the above and the off center primer strikes and would be glad to email them so that Brad can get a look at what I was describing. Vicky said that sending SA the pics wouldn't be necessary and that SA would rather have me send in the gun w/ a letter explaining my issues. No problem there, I will just cut 'n paste my postings...along w/ the pics.

I also let Vicky know of the FTF reports on the forum and that we are now tracking them by FTF and S/N if that would be helpful to SA. She replied "Hmmm...interesting." One other note. When Vicky asked me for the XDS's S/N...she said "XS? (starts with), I haven't heard of one of those yet."

So the XDS goes back to the mother ship. Hopefully, I can get it to FedEx this afternoon if my schedule allows. I will post updates as I get feedback from SA.
Can you please post the results of you sending your XDS back to SA? That was a few months ago, so I'm assuming you got your gun back already? Did they fix the issue?
TRUST8383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:52 PM   #73
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 80537
strikes

Hello,

After my first visit to the range, having light strikes, reading this forum I feel like I have to share my experience with light strikes. I understand some people may have actual problems with their XDs but this is my current experience(+-300 shots).

Prior to first trip, did general clean and lube of gun, (did not clean striker channel).

First trip to the range, 4 light strikes after 150 shots, two different shooters. If my memory serves me right three of the four strikes where at the end of the day of shooting so some fatigue and limp wristing may have helped cause this effect.

Went home worried, checked the forums for some possible solutions. Re-cleaned gun, disassembled and thoroughly cleaned and dried striker channel and striker(striker and channel was dripping with the factory fluids). Lubed and greased gun thoroughly(leaving striker channel dried).

Second trip. three shooters mainly me. 0 light strikes after 150+ shots. focused on grip, though I did shoot single handed and weak handed.

though I still have many rounds to fire before I trust this in the concealed purpose, I feel that many of the issues people are facing is not having the striker channel properly cleaned and possibly some limp wristing(one of the shooters on my second trip has a extremely weak grip and fired twenty off with no problems).
mccapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:29 PM   #74
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 80989
I have two XDSs, XS540xx4 and XS540xx8; each has 130 rounds through it, mostly Remington green box 230 gr. FMC, a few rounds each of Hornaday 200 Gr. HP and 185 gr. critical defense. No. xx8 has had three light strikes; both similarly lubed and well lubed, but not cleaned before firing beyond a dry patch through the bore. Upon cleaning, I found one small brass flake in xx8's striker channel, so that could be the problem although it seems unlikely as the misfires occured on two shooting sessions and about 30 rounds apart the first time and 10 the second/third times. I did note that the firing spring rubs against the striker channel more than I would expect--so a slight variation in roughness may create enough friction to sporadically create a light strike. Primer on the light strikes appears about 70-80% of the depth of the normal strike, so this is a very thin margin between "tink" and "bang." And the pistol was fully in battery when trigger was pulled, so the "out of battery" theory is not true for me at least. I very carefully lubricated everything after a thorough cleaning, and will get another 100 rounds/pistol shot in the next couple days, and then see if things are better. Trigger has definitely smoothed up since new, so maybe this will "fix itself" too. For now, I'm only carrying the reliable one, and will send the other back to SA if light strikes persist. If one can work right, both can work right. I am very impressed with these little guys--was reliably busting boulders yesterday at 50-70 yards and rapid fire is a palm pounding delight. Fun! Now if we only get "reliable"!
RangerG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:26 AM   #75
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 76500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerG View Post
And the pistol was fully in battery when trigger was pulled, so the "out of battery" theory is not true for me at least.
How do you know it was in full battery? Did you check it before you pulled the trigger? If not, it likely went into battery after the trigger was pulled as the XDS is known to do. The XDS out of battery 'theory' is more than 'theory' - it's fact.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:06 AM   #76
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 67622
I have never had a light strike with mine. Interesting thing, I have been seeing used XDS's showing up in LGS. Was in one yesterday and a guy brought one in trying to sell it. I tried to ask him why but he just tried to avoid the question. Gun shop would only give him 340 for it and overheard him say he paid 569 a month before. Wow that's quit a hit. Could be he needed the money or momma found out about the purchase.
This gun shop is selling new ones for 499.00 and had 3 in stock.

Riding my Harley is like being on a journey that never wants to end
nwmarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:54 PM   #77
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 80989
In battery...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheXDude View Post
How do you know it was in full battery? Did you check it before you pulled the trigger? If not, it likely went into battery after the trigger was pulled as the XDS is known to do. The XDS out of battery 'theory' is more than 'theory' - it's fact.
XDdude, I stand puzzled if not corrected: your point dawned on me a while after I posted. But...if I understand the OOB theory correctly, the light strike is due the firing pin resting at a slight angle and hence off center. On the last light strike I had the hit was slightly off center. I recocked but did not eject the round and at that point both checked that it was in battery and the round did fire. But the second strike merely deepened the initial primer. I'd think that if the firing pin angle is an issue the. The second strike would have widened the strike crater? Thoughts?
RangerG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:34 PM   #78
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 72498
Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki6589 View Post
Kept noodling over what could be causing the FTFs. I had posted earlier that I was wonder if the firing pin could "cant" and cause the off center strikes. So, I pulled up the SA owners manual to look at the parts schematic to look at the striker spring retainer. Wanted to see if mine looked the same so I pull the striker assembly out of the gun. Yep...looks the same. Wait...what the heck is this???

Pics (still off of a crappy android) attached below of what I found on the "shoulder" area (don't know what else to call it) of the firing pin. At first I thought it was carbon build up. But, upon closer inspection, the corner is marred/gouged. Wasn't like this when I originally cleaned the striker assembly/channel prior to the first firing of the gun.

Obviously, something is not machined and/or functioning correctly. I guess this is another couple of pics to share with SA in the morning.

Please post if anyone else having FTFs have looked at their firing pin/striker assembly and have seen this.
Saluki, any follow up from SA? My problem is identical to yours. Unfortunately, I was documenting on a separate thread. I have called SA and they weren't helpful. I looked at my striker and took a pic, looks similar to yours. Xds light strikes-imageuploadedbytapatalk1351369955.317719.jpg
I am curious to know if Springfield fixed that issue or if this is what is causing the off center primer strikes for the rest of us. I'm going to send back as we'll. please let us know your outcome. I will do the same.
Dogcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:10 PM   #79
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 50276
My striker looks like yours. Almost 700 rounds and no problems at all. I think the striker wear is normal.

Sent from my crappy phone.
Jimmycrackcorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:04 PM   #80
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 50946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogcompany View Post
Saluki, any follow up from SA? My problem is identical to yours. Unfortunately, I was documenting on a separate thread. I have called SA and they weren't helpful. I looked at my striker and took a pic, looks similar to yours. Attachment 14257
I am curious to know if Springfield fixed that issue or if this is what is causing the off center primer strikes for the rest of us. I'm going to send back as we'll. please let us know your outcome. I will do the same.
Just shot mine today and had a plenty of light strikes. After reading this thread I pulled my striker out and saw the same damage as you.

Saluki, any updates?
RexInTheCity is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-S Discussion Room

Search tags for this page
light for springfield xds
recoil spring types
removing xds striker plate
springfield xds light primer strike
springfield xds light primer strikes
springfield xds light strike
springfield xds light strikes
xd45 light strike
xds 45 3.3 reviews on light strikes
xds 45 light primer strikes
xds light
xds light fire strike

xds light primer strike

xds light primer strikes

xds light strike

xds light strikes

Click on a term to search for related topics.