• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Xds light strikes

This is a discussion on Xds light strikes within the XD-S Discussion Room forums, part of the XD Talk category; Originally Posted by 3shot Damn, that is jacked up! Sorry to hear this. Yes, please let us know what Springfield says. Hmmmmm...... Saluki, I am ...

Old 07-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #31
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 69163
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shot View Post
Damn, that is jacked up! Sorry to hear this. Yes, please let us know what Springfield says.
Hmmmmm......
Saluki,
I am no engineer, but I don't know how the firing pin can move off center when the firing pin hole is in the center of the breach face???? There is not enough room around the pin once it protrudes. When the pin protrudes, the pin HAS to protrude in the center! It would seem that the round itself is not being centered in the breech?? I have no idea how, but I bet that is the case. Maybe the barrel is not being recentered after the recoil cycle?? Is it in 100% battery?? Don't know. Just not sure how the pin can be off center. Just tossing out Ideas..
Certainly could be the case. I will mention this to SA when I speak with them. I was just making observations from what I saw of the striker assembly. Also, I just checked the movement of the firing pin when protruding through the firing pin hole on mine. It can be wiggled a fair amount, which may mean the firing pin may be able to "cant" in the striker channel which could theoretically allow for the off center strikes.

Like I said I am in no way shape or form an armorer or firearms engineer, nor claim to be, so I will let SA solve the problem. Right now I am just spitballin' because this frustrates the living hell out of me. Not to mention rattles my cage as an engineer.
saluki6589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-01-2012, 05:08 PM   #32
XDTalk 100 Member

Exclamation Could this be my XDS FTF culprit???

Kept noodling over what could be causing the FTFs. I had posted earlier that I was wonder if the firing pin could "cant" and cause the off center strikes. So, I pulled up the SA owners manual to look at the parts schematic to look at the striker spring retainer. Wanted to see if mine looked the same so I pull the striker assembly out of the gun. Yep...looks the same. Wait...what the heck is this???

Pics (still off of a crappy android) attached below of what I found on the "shoulder" area (don't know what else to call it) of the firing pin. At first I thought it was carbon build up. But, upon closer inspection, the corner is marred/gouged. Wasn't like this when I originally cleaned the striker assembly/channel prior to the first firing of the gun.

Obviously, something is not machined and/or functioning correctly. I guess this is another couple of pics to share with SA in the morning.

Please post if anyone else having FTFs have looked at their firing pin/striker assembly and have seen this.
Attached Thumbnails
Xds light strikes-striker-damage-1.jpg   Xds light strikes-striker-damage-2.jpg  
Old 07-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #33
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 53056
I'm beginning to wonder if we should start comparing serial numbers to see if the problem guns were near each other in the production run.

XS501109 - no problems
Obscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:27 PM   #34
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obscura View Post
I'm beginning to wonder if we should start comparing serial numbers to see if the problem guns were near each other in the production run.

XS501109 - no problems
Great idea! Maybe we should create a sticky for it?

XS505xxx - Off center primer strikes AND damaged firing pin: 11 FTFs out of 190 rounds.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:10 PM   #35
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 69307
Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki6589 View Post
Kept noodling over what could be causing the FTFs. I had posted earlier that I was wonder if the firing pin could "cant" and cause the off center strikes. So, I pulled up the SA owners manual to look at the parts schematic to look at the striker spring retainer. Wanted to see if mine looked the same so I pull the striker assembly out of the gun. Yep...looks the same. Wait...what the heck is this???

Pics (still off of a crappy android) attached below of what I found on the "shoulder" area (don't know what else to call it) of the firing pin. At first I thought it was carbon build up. But, upon closer inspection, the corner is marred/gouged. Wasn't like this when I originally cleaned the striker assembly/channel prior to the first firing of the gun.

Obviously, something is not machined and/or functioning correctly. I guess this is another couple of pics to share with SA in the morning.

Please post if anyone else having FTFs have looked at their firing pin/striker assembly and have seen this.
Damn, that IS jacked up!!!!
Something not right there
Definate shearing!!!

BTW my serial is XS501xxx....no probs

Quote:
As for being OT...thread drift is the rule around here. Embrace it.

Quote:
I was anti-glock for a long time. I have always been a contrarian and just didn't want to be one of THEM.
3shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:34 PM   #36
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 75557
Saluki i believe that you and I both got our guns from the same place last week as I ordered right after you. I'm having the same issues with the low hits to primer getting the crickets chirping after about the 4th or last round of the magazine. I'm just wondering if it has something to do with the lower tnension in the mags. I only fired about 55 shots so far. I picked it up and headed straight to the firing line so I didn't have a chance to clean it to see if that was a possible problem. I only had 1 or 2 mags empty out without a WTF coming out of my mouth. Was using the cheap Wally world federals but have never had any issues with the 9mm or .40 of the brand after going through over 1 k of those. It is either the gun or I'm limp writing it and the bullet isn't getting chambered properly. I had the range master empty a mag and he had no issues so again I don't know if he got lucky or if it's me. I got pissed and took my butt home to clean, hopefully I'll get back soon to see if the saga continues, but there is no way I would trust my life to this pistol like I would my ruger sr9c which goes bang EVERY time. I'm curious to see what the outcome of your gun is...your firing pin damage doesn't look good.
Ugabdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #37
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugabdawg View Post
Saluki i believe that you and I both got our guns from the same place last week as I ordered right after you. I'm having the same issues with the low hits to primer getting the crickets chirping after about the 4th or last round of the magazine. I'm just wondering if it has something to do with the lower tnension in the mags. I only fired about 55 shots so far. I picked it up and headed straight to the firing line so I didn't have a chance to clean it to see if that was a possible problem. I only had 1 or 2 mags empty out without a WTF coming out of my mouth. Was using the cheap Wally world federals but have never had any issues with the 9mm or .40 of the brand after going through over 1 k of those. It is either the gun or I'm limp writing it and the bullet isn't getting chambered properly. I had the range master empty a mag and he had no issues so again I don't know if he got lucky or if it's me. I got pissed and took my butt home to clean, hopefully I'll get back soon to see if the saga continues, but there is no way I would trust my life to this pistol like I would my ruger sr9c which goes bang EVERY time. I'm curious to see what the outcome of your gun is...your firing pin damage doesn't look good.
If you got it from Gilbert's after having seen Bonehead's post you did.

The position of the FTFs have been random with regard to position in the magazine...some at the beginning rounds, some middle, some end, some no FTFs. One thing I did realize is this...

1.) First range trip I had 2 FTFs within the first 50 rounds (S&B) then no FTFs with the following 75 rounds (50 Freedom & 25 Winchester Ranger T)

2.) Second range trip 5 FTFs first 50 rounds (UMC), first 4 mags, last 6 mags no FTFs and 4 FTFs (Blazer) in the next 15 rounds, mags 1, 2 and 3. Shut it down at that point.

3.) All FTFs had the off center (far off center) primer strikes

The FTFs seemed to be increasing in frequency as the round count went up. Just glad I happened to see the damage to firing pin and get some pics to send to SA.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:17 PM   #38
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Uga...Since we may have seem to gotten XDS's close in serial # let me know if you pull out the striker assembly and see any damage where my pics show.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:18 PM   #39
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 75557
Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki6589 View Post
If you got it from Gilbert's after having seen Bonehead's post you did.

The position of the FTFs have been random with regard to position in the magazine...some at the beginning rounds, some middle, some end, some no FTFs. One thing I did realize is this...

1.) First range trip I had 2 FTFs within the first 50 rounds (S&B) then no FTFs with the following 75 rounds (50 Freedom & 25 Winchester Ranger T)

2.) Second range trip 5 FTFs first 50 rounds (UMC), first 4 mags, last 6 mags no FTFs and 4 FTFs (Blazer) in the next 15 rounds, mags 1, 2 and 3. Shut it down at that point.

3.) All FTFs had the off center (far off center) primer strikes

The FTFs seemed to be increasing in frequency as the round count went up. Just glad I happened to see the damage to firing pin and get some pics to send to SA.
Yeah got it from Gilbert's so im sure mine is from the same batch. I'll have to keep an eye on the firing pin but I'll say that I looked at each of the trouble rounds and they had the exact same issue as you stated, way off center strike which made me wonder if the round isn't getting loaded into the chamber properly. I'll keep my eye on your report from Springfield. I'm sure theyll make it right but it sure does suck.
Ugabdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:25 PM   #40
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Yeah got it from Gilbert's so im sure mine is from the same batch. I'll have to keep an eye on the firing pin but I'll say that I looked at each of the trouble rounds and they had the exact same issue as you stated, way off center strike which made me wonder if the round isn't getting loaded into the chamber properly. I'll keep my eye on your report from Springfield. I'm sure theyll make it right but it sure does suck.
Don't know if you saw it, but here is my post about the off center primer strike FTFs w/ pics. I have to think the damage to the firing pin has something to do with the FTFs.

BTW my serial # is XS505xxx

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-S Discussion Room

Search tags for this page
light for springfield xds
recoil spring types
removing xds striker plate
springfield xds light primer strike
springfield xds light primer strikes
springfield xds light strike
springfield xds light strikes
xd45 light strike
xds 45 3.3 reviews on light strikes
xds 45 light primer strikes
xds light
xds light fire strike

xds light primer strike

xds light primer strikes

xds light strike

xds light strikes

Click on a term to search for related topics.