• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Xds light strikes

This is a discussion on Xds light strikes within the XD-S Discussion Room forums, part of the XD Talk category; Help, How do you remove the Striker Locking Plate? Never mind, got it. pretty simple...

Old 06-30-2012, 02:33 PM   #21
XDTalk Member

Member #: 71891
Help, How do you remove the Striker Locking Plate?
Never mind, got it. pretty simple
tspan is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-30-2012, 04:42 PM   #22
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 53056
I missed the part of the manual where it explained how to remove the striker locking plate. How do you do that?
Obscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:17 PM   #23
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 69163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obscura View Post
I missed the part of the manual where it explained how to remove the striker locking plate. How do you do that?
Push in the square "tab" you see at the top of the striker plate and hold, then slide the striker plate out.
saluki6589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:00 PM   #24
XDTalk 100 Member

Note on cleaning the XDS striker channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shot View Post
Do not get oil in the hole in the breech face (where the firing pin protrudes).
^+1 on this. Oil here creates a carbon magnet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FHBrumb View Post
The channel is Melonite coated. No more likely to rust than the rest of the slide. Bone dry gets my vote.
The XDS striker channel is “stepped” having a larger diameter where the striker spring rides, and a smaller diameter where the firing pin shoulder rides.

Larger Diameter
You can use a “T” handle section of a cleaning rod, .22LR patch holder and a patch to clean this area. I folded both ends of the patch over the top of the patch holder to create a “ball” to get better surface area contact with the channel. I used Hoppe’s #9 and it took about 10 wet/dry patches until I ended up with a clean dry patch. Not that much cosmolene in this area, but definitely dirty enough to need a cleaning.

Smaller Diameter
You should be able to see the patch in the firing pin hole from the breach face of the slide, but you won’t be able to. The .22LR patch holder is too large to get into the smaller diameter. Luckily, a Q-Tip (fluffed a bit) is. You will be able to see the Q-Tip in the firing pin hole from the breach face. Fits in the smaller diameter and gets good enough contact with the channel surface for cleaning. Plus, the Q-Tip is long enough to extend past the back of the slide to get a grip on so that you can rotate it. Did the same as with the patch, Hoppe’s #9 and wet/dry Q-Tips. There was a significant amount of cosmolene in this are. Took about 15 wet/dry Q-Tips to get to a clean one.

Lubing
The only thing I wanted oil applied to was the outer surface of the striker spring. Wiped it down with a rag lightly oiled with Hoppe’s, and then wiped it clean with a dry rag. Just wanted as thin a film of oil as possible. Even though the channel is Melonite coated and won't rust, the spring travels (compresses) against the inside of the diameter so there will be friction. The spring retaining clip also rides this surface (plus minimizes blow back gasses into the larger diameter of the channel). Just felt the slightest film of oil might help reduce friction.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:20 PM   #25
Old Timer

Member #: 71939
With a Springfield XD -- cleaning + new gun + malfunctions = send it back .

There are many who's xds is flawless ... If your having light strikes out of the box with an XD of any kind , I would not deem it reliable .

It doesn't seem like a huge issue -- most are fine. That being said , please send it back and let SA take care of you guys. These are not hipoints or raven arms.

They are $600 carry firearms designed to do one thing -- shoot. It should be perfect.
Minkman555 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:30 AM   #26
XDTalk 20K Member

Member #: 75159
This is probably a dumb question, but is it safe to use brake cleaner on the slide to clean the striker channel? I use it on my 1911 when I clean it but I'm not familiar with the "Melonite" coating and don't want to screw it up!

NRA Endowment Member, Florida Carry Member, FRA Member
KCCO
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

STITCS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
RetiredFCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:23 PM   #27
XDTalk 100 Member

9 MORE FTFs out of 65 rds

Had posted earlier that I had 2 FTFs (S&B ammo) out of 125 rds which included 50 rds S&B, 50 rds Freedom Munitions Blaster and 25 rds Winchester Ranger T. I hoped against hope that this was due to hard primers on the S&B ammo. Well…Got to the range today with 50 rds UMC, 50 rds Blazer and 50 rds WWB. Here is what happened…

First, I apologize for the poor quality of the pics attached. Took them at the range with my crappy android.

UMC – 5 FTFs out of 50 rds
First round “Bang”, second round “Click”, third round “Click”. Needless to say I was shocked, disappointed and frustrated. Reloaded these rounds to see if they would fire on second strike and did. Continued on and had 3 more FTFs in the remainder of the 50 rds. I did not take pictures of the first 3 because I wanted to see if they would fire, but I took pics of the last 2 UMC FTFs. You can see that the primer strike is WAY WAY WAY off center. I also included a pic of the FTFs next to 5 first time fires. Notice the striker hit is pretty much dead center of the primer.

Blazer –4 FTFs out of 15 rds
First 4 rounds “Bang”, fifth round “Click”. Reloaded this round and fired on second strike. Did not take a pic of this round. Next 10 rounds 3 MORE FTFs. I did get pics of these, along with some of the first time fires. Again, you can see that the primer strike is WAY WAY WAY off center on the FTF cartridges.

WWB – Did not fire these rounds

I wondered what the @#$%! Could make the firing pin strike so far off center. Then I remembered that when I was cleaning the striker channel I compressed the striker spring to get an elbow gauge of the spring force. (First, let me preface this by saying I am not a firearms designer, nor am I a armorer. I am a mechanical engineer with over 15 years product design experience, so I am just making observations based on experience.) What I noticed when doing this was…

1.)
The spring when compressed “serpentines”, meaning it does not compress straight back. It “bends” or “bows”.

2.) The striker spring ends are not ground flat, and when compressed the spring ends shift on the spring retaining clip and the striker guide. What this does is put the spring even more off center, leaving the ID of the spring above and below the OD of these parts.

3.) Also, the spring ID is much larger than the OD of the firing pin. So there is nothing to “journal” the spring or keep it centered, allowing it to “bend” and “bow”

Seeing #1 thru #3 makes me wonder if the spring bowing when compressed presses against the inside diameter of the striker channel creating enough force to push the firing pin off center thus creating the off center FTFs shown in the pics.

To say I am frustrated is a major understatement! Luckily, I have my XD9sc or LC9 as fallback summertime EDCs. But, if I only owned the XDS as my primary EDC I would be mad as hell.

Regardless, SA is getting a call first thing in the morning with emailed pics to follow. I sure hope this is isolated, but my gut tells me this could lead the the “R” word. I’ll post an update after I speak with SA.

Springfield…you got some ‘splainin to do!
Attached Thumbnails
Xds light strikes-blazer-ftf.jpg   Xds light strikes-blazer.jpg   Xds light strikes-umc-ftf.jpg   Xds light strikes-umc.jpg  

Last edited by saluki6589; 07-04-2012 at 12:08 AM.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:30 PM   #28
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 69307
Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki6589 View Post
Had posted earlier that I had 2 FTFs (S&B ammo) out of 125 rds which included 50 rds S&B, 50 rds Freedom Munitions Blaster and 25 rds Winchester Ranger T. I hoped against hope that this was due to hard primers on the S&B ammo. Well…Got to the range today with 50 rds UMC, 50 rds Blazer and 50 rds WWB. Here is what happened…

First, I apologize for the poor quality of the pics attached. Took them at the range with my crappy android.

UMC – 6 FTFs out 0f 50 rds
First round “Bang”, second round “Click”, third round “Click”. Needless to say I was shocked, disappointed and frustrated. Reloaded these rounds to see if they would fire on second strike and did. Continued on and had 3 more FTFs in the remainder f the 50 rds. I did not take pictures of the first 2 because I wanted to see if they would fire, but I took pics of the last 3 UMC FTFs. You can see that the primer strike is WAY WAY WAY off center. I also included a pic of the FTFs next to 5 first time fires. Notice the striker hit is pretty much dead center of the primer.

Blazer –4 FTFs out of 15 rds
First 4 rounds “Bang”, fifth round “Click”. Reloaded this round and fired on second strike. Did not take a pic of this round. Next 10 rounds 3 MORE FTFs. I did get pics of these, along with some of the first time fires. Again, you can see that the primer strike is WAY WAY WAY off center on the FTF cartridges.

WWB – Did not fire these rounds

I wondered what the @#$%! Could make the firing pin strike so far off center. Then I remembered that when I was cleaning the striker channel I compressed the striker spring to get an elbow gauge of the spring force. (First, let me preface this by saying I am not a firearms designer, nor am I a armorer. I am a mechanical engineer with over 15 years product design experience, so I am just making observations based on experience.) What I noticed when doing this was…

1.) The spring when compressed “serpentines”, meaning it does not compress straight back. It “bends” or “bows”.

2.) The striker spring ends are not ground flat, and when compressed the spring ends shift on the spring retaining clip and the striker “sleeve”. What this does is put the spring even more of center, leaving the OD of the spring above and below the OD of these parts.

3.) Also, the spring ID is much larger than the OD of the firing pin. So there is nothing to “journal” the spring or keep it centered, allowing it to “bend” and “bow”

Seeing #1 thru #3 makes me wonder if the spring bowing when compressed presses against the inside diameter of the striker channel creating enough force to push the firing pin off center thus creating the off center FTFs shown in the pics.

To say I am frustrated is a major understatement! Luckily, I have my XD9sc or LC9 as fallback summertime EDCs. But, if I only owned the XDS as my primary EDC I would be mad as hell.

Regardless, SA is getting a call first thing in the morning with emailed pics to follow. I sure hope this is isolated, but my gut tells me this could lead the the “R” word. I’ll post an update after I speak with SA.

Springfield…you got some ‘splainin to do!
Damn, that is jacked up! Sorry to hear this. Yes, please let us know what Springfield says.
Hmmmmm......
Saluki,
I am no engineer, but I don't know how the firing pin can move off center when the firing pin hole is in the center of the breach face???? There is not enough room around the pin once it protrudes. When the pin protrudes, the pin HAS to protrude in the center! It would seem that the round itself is not being centered in the breech?? I have no idea how, but I bet that is the case. Maybe the barrel is not being recentered after the recoil cycle?? Is it in 100% battery?? Don't know. Just not sure how the pin can be off center. Just tossing out Ideas..

Quote:
As for being OT...thread drift is the rule around here. Embrace it.

Quote:
I was anti-glock for a long time. I have always been a contrarian and just didn't want to be one of THEM.
3shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:55 PM   #29
XDTalk Member

Member #: 40479
Hey posted in my thread as well... It seems that when the rounds ftf, they are not completely in battery. Thus the off center strike. What I'm wondering is of the recoil spring assembly has too much strength and is therefor not allowing the next round to completely chamber.

My XDS is on its way to sa and I'm sure sa will be overly concerned with the amount of ftf's that are appearing with the new gun.
Accius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:57 PM   #30
XDTalk Member

Member #: 40479
Saw your response. Keep us up to date. I'll let you know what SA says when they receive mine.
Accius is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-S Discussion Room

Search tags for this page
light for springfield xds
removing xds striker plate
springfield xds light primer strikes
springfield xds light strike
springfield xds light strikes
xds 45 3.3 reviews on light strikes
xds 45 light primer strikes
xds light

xds light primer strike

xds light primer strikes

xds light strike

xds light strikes

Click on a term to search for related topics.