• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Xds light strikes

This is a discussion on Xds light strikes within the XD-S Discussion Room forums, part of the XD Talk category; Originally Posted by douglanders I don't have any visible damage, but I do have a lot of light strikes. The problem is completely intermittent. I ...

Old 12-14-2012, 05:38 PM   #91
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 81949
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglanders View Post
I don't have any visible damage, but I do have a lot of light strikes. The problem is completely intermittent. I can shoot an entire 50 round box of factory ammo (I have tried every brand, and every brand has at least 1-6 light strikes out of each box of 50). Then, the 2nd box of 50 I will get a light strike in the next box. It may be the 60th, or it may be the 90th.

I talked to Springfield about it and they said the same 'wet lube' comment I have heard before. The wet lube reduced the number of light strikes, but they still happened within a box of 50 rounds.

I can shoot it one-handed without a problem, and have only had the light strikes when firing two-handed (in other words, I'm not limp wristing it).

I just got it back from Springfield after sending it back, and their comment was that they disassembled it, found nothing wrong, relubed and test fired. No light strikes. Lovely, but if you shoot a box or two of ammo, it does. I have shot over 400 rounds and have had around 6 light strikes out of the last 100. The best it did in 100 rounds was 2 light strikes, one in each box.

I'm about to shoot it now, and will check before every shot to make sure it goes into full battery.
Please let us know how it worked out. Had mine on consignment @ LGS for about 3 weeks, not sold yet. They've had a new one ($550) for several days as well.

Been buying guns for 20 years, first time that's ticked me off enough to write off a manuf. A $550 paperweight or thrown weapon (poly-rock) is really getting to me.

Used to be a Springfield fanboy, now, not so much!
bmbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-20-2013, 07:02 AM   #92
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 23776
Well I took my XDS out for its first range time.....

Out of 114 rounds....21 light strikes. The first six I put back in and refired the last 17 I kept to take photos to send to SA.

I was using WWB ammo and the light strikes where all centered. I broke the gun down on the range and relubed to make sure it was "wet" but still happened. Towards the end it was like the first two rounds of the mag.

I am very disappointed since I am replacing a PF9 that will not feed properly.

I love the gun...but can't trust it so far.
bomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:06 AM   #93
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 69191
Bomar, that's not much off my experience. First 50 rounds, no problem. Next 50 had about 6-7 light strikes, and so on until I ran through 250 rounds.

Did some homework, changed my grip (a little more off-hand pressure, not much), and added lube to the slide rails and a drop on the extractor. Not sopping, but definitely wetter than my LC9.

500 rounds later, the only light strike I've had was when a buddy fired it, and he admitted to limp-wristing.

All this to say, break-in, lube, and learning curve all have played a part in many XDs owner's success stories with these guns. Give it 400 rounds, run 'er a little wet, and find your grip.
drbald1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:29 PM   #94
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 85414
Light primer strikes

I think I have been posting on the wrong board.
First 1000 rounds were flawless then nothing but light off center primer strikes. Found the striker was hitting the striker safety and damaged, like many members have had. Sent to Springfield. They did a clean, lube and check. I got 18 rounds before the same problem started again. Sent it back again last week. Something is causing the striker safety and the striker to be in the same place at the same time, and cleaning doesn't solve the problem. I love the gun, but you cannot carry a weapon if you cannot trust it.
spsiege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:31 PM   #95
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 47022
When I fired my XD-S for the first time, I had one light strike about the 115th round or so. I pulled the slide to take a look. I had fired 100 rounds of S&B 230gr ball and the inside of the slide was VERY dirty. I mean chunks of dirt!

So, the question is: when do the light strikes start in a given range session?
is it right away or after some shooting?

The XD-S is NOT a range gun. If the light strikes start after some shooting, when the slide is dirty inside, then it should be fine for ccw. You should be carrying a clean XD-S for your EDC. If you need more than 10 rounds, as a civilian, you are in some really deep s**t.

The XD-S has tight tolerances that will loosen up over time. If the pistol has been cleaned and lubed properly, and you have trained with a correct grip, it should be a good pistol for EDC.

Thoughts?
MarkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:58 PM   #96
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 77494
My thoughts are ...

If the XDs has to be held a certain way with a certain amount of pressure to ensure the round fires or the next round loads correctly, then it is not a weapon I want to trust my life with. It should fire unside down and inside out every time without question.

example - quick draw to engage 2 targets, fire from hip...limp wrist the first shot, fail to feed second round...i'm dead...

Selling mine next week to a co worker.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:29 PM   #97
XDTalk Member

Member #: 84376
I am sure it was already said but I do not want to look for it.

You need a firm grip and wrist. Hold it solid like you mean it. A weak grip and/or loose wrist will often cause the slide to not completely go into battery. It will be close enough for the trigger to work but it will look like a light strike.

This happens more with smaller pistols. Hold it more firmly. Lock that wrist and elbow. Do not be flexy with the little guns.

If this is too tough or unacceptable, get a more standard sized handgun or look at a j-frame sized revolver.
scottieg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #98
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 85414
Limp wristing, or not holding the gun just right should not cause the damage some of us have noticed on the striker where the striker safety mates with the striker.
If I didn't hold, clean or lube the gun properly, I probably would not have been able to get the first 1000 rounds off without a problem. After Springfield cleaned, lubed and tested, I got 18 rounds off before the problem started again.
spsiege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:43 PM   #99
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 86366
SN XS581197

135 rounds of Winchester 230 gr FMJ. Pretty clear that these problems (fail to fire, light primer strikes, dented striker, chewed up recoil spring) are happening regardless of ammo type.

What troubles me is that every person that sends the gun to SA gets it back dripping with oil and a statement saying that the gun is fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Xds light strikes-xds-striker.jpg   Xds light strikes-xds-recoil-spring.jpg   Xds light strikes-xds-non-fire-1-9-13.jpg  
birdog068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:48 PM   #100
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 47022
Here's a thought - is the extension (small finger) on the trigger bar lifting the striker safety enough? If that extension was a little higher, would it lift the striker safety enough to clear the striker? Perhaps a redesigned trigger bar would solve some of these problems.
MarkB is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-S Discussion Room

Search tags for this page
light for springfield xds
recoil spring types
removing xds striker plate
springfield xds light primer strike
springfield xds light primer strikes
springfield xds light strike
springfield xds light strikes
xd45 light strike
xds 45 3.3 reviews on light strikes
xds 45 light primer strikes
xds light
xds light fire strike

xds light primer strike

xds light primer strikes

xds light strike

xds light strikes

Click on a term to search for related topics.