• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

XDm 40 Sight Adjustment

This is a discussion on XDm 40 Sight Adjustment within the XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M) forums, part of the XD Talk category; My XDm shoots about 3" to the left. I am curious as to what the best option for fixing that may be. Do I drift ...

Old 01-17-2009, 02:13 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 30043
XDm 40 Sight Adjustment

My XDm shoots about 3" to the left. I am curious as to what the best option for fixing that may be. Do I drift the sight over to compensate? I have read here that others have sent theirs back to Springfield to have the adjusted to shot POA. Do they just move the sights or do they replace them with some sort of offset sight? Just curious. I have tried drifting them over already, but I haven't been able to get them to budge. I have read they are pretty tight and require a bit of extra convincing to move.
deadeye_xdm40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-17-2009, 06:05 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 29557
My XDm40 was shooting 3" left on the first 25 rounds, I was gripping just like with my XD 9..............then I figured it could be me anticipating the recoil. So I put the gun in my Shooter's Ridge Pistol Rest and found out IT WAS ME. So now when I shoot my M.....I put a little more pressure against the frame with my Left thumb......straightened me out. I'd put the gun in a rest before I sent it back to SA. Except for being sighted from the factory to the 6 o'clock hole at 25 yds vs. POA, both of mine are right on and if I'm shooting left........it's ME.
Good Luck with your new M.
DeadEye-Want2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 06:15 PM   #3
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 28550
Deadeye, are you sure it's the gun and not you? Whenever I spend too much time away from the range I find my self consistently shooting left. For a right handed shooter, shooting left is almost always a symptom of poor trigger control. Which is why I found myself and old fashioned revolver. In my case a 4 inch S&W model 67. It's pretty, soft shooting, and the double action practice has really improved my shooting with every gun I own.

My advice would be to shoot your XDm off the bench with a slow and careful squeeze on the trigger. Make believe that it's a 200 yard shot and let the break surprize you. If you then find your shooting left, send the gun to SA and let them adjust the sights. The sights on S.A. guns are installed so tightly that my XDm has a permanent impression in the slide from the factory sights that's revealed by the TFO's it currently wears. Without a sight press specific to the gun, you stand zero chance of drifting the sights on your own.
scooter123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 07:53 PM   #4
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 31765
they are sight at 25 yards.shooting to left usually the shooter.
ragsflh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:01 AM   #5
XDTalk Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragsflh View Post
they are sight at 25 yards.shooting to left usually the shooter.
It has just been so consistently left, that I am almost convinced that it's not the shooter, but I'm not so arrogant to believe that I'm infallible. I'll give it a few more tries. Also, could you elaborate a little on the quote above? Does that mean that all guns are actually 'sighted in' at 25 yards from a bench or vise from the factory, or do they just put the sights on the marks that were right for a sampling of guns? Other than this sighting/shooting issue, I've been very happy with it.

I sometimes wish that I had gotten the all black version due to some of the issues I've read about the stainless. I haven't had any issues myself and I really like my stainless rifles, so I probably don't have anything to worry about.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:06 PM   #6
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 31810
I have a XDM-9 that's shooting about 1.5" high, a XDM-40 that shoots about 1" high and my brother has a XDM-9 that shoots 1.5" high. This is with multiple shooters from a rest.

The XDM-40 was shooting .75" right, but I drifted the sight over today. I just used a piece of cardboard, from a box of ammo, to prevent a hex head screw driver bit from marring the sights while I smacked it with a hammer. I started out pretty easy, but finally figured out that it takes quite a bit of force to budge the rear sight. But now my windage is right on and it didn't leave any marks on the pistol. That will hold me over until I get some Dawson Precision sights.
DarrellM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:06 PM   #7
XDTalk Member

Member #: 28495
I sent my XDm back to SA to install POA rear sight and they adjusted the rear sight over to the right to adjust windage from the test shots preformed at SA. Mine was shootin 2 inches left. Now it is dead on at 25 yards POA.
Ruger 10/22
Winchester model 70 .243
Marlin .35Rem 336cs
Remmington 870 express
dcunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:17 PM   #8
XDTalk Newbie

I have been reading some of the posts on how the shooter is the problem 99% of the time and trying some of the suggestions posted. When I dry fire, I seem to pull more down to the right unless I use a very slow trigger pull. If I pull slowly, I don't see movement in the sights. That to me says that the sights may need adjustment, but I am going to get the sandbags out to create an almost immoveable hold. I know that I can trust those results. I am pretty please with the accuracy I can get with the XDm. I can fire fairly rapidly while still staying on target. Not the bullseye necessarily, but good solid shots. If I take my time, I am even happier with the results.

I'm very anxious to get out there and give it another try. But, I'm always anxious to get out to the range.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:35 PM   #9
XDTalk Member

Member #: 17797
Mine shoots to the left about 1-2 inches.

I have an xd compact that is dead on. I will need to move the rear sight if I want to use this gun in 3 gun.
Compact Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:13 PM   #10
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 38176
About those sight adjustments.

Hello everyone.
I got an XDM 9mm abut two weeks ago. I've shot it 3 times and put about 400 rounds through it.
It's a nice gun...but its shoots high and to the left from 21 to 35 feet range.
At first I thought it was just me. Then I had the best shooter at Scottsdale Gun Club shoot it and guess what?? He shot really tight groups but also high and to the left. He shot 1.5 to 2 inches groups at 28 feet, though.
I shot the gun from a sand bag and guess what, it was about the same.
I had noticed the rear sight is about half the width of a knat's behind over to the left and it is noticeable.
I called SA and one of the polite guns smiths said that rear sights are placed between hash marks on the frame to center the rear sight. These marks are just barely visible on either side of the sight. My left mark is less visible than my right. Translation: its over to the left.
I know this sounds like hairsplitting but when I look at the relationship of the rear sight to the top of the slide it is noticeably over to one side. No, not by much but it is.
The same day I shot my xdm I also shot a CZ 75d PCR. I had never shot any CZ before. Its basicly a P-01 without a tac rail. The first time shooting that gun I was shooting pretty tight groups pretty quickly and although I put some to the left of center the pistol did not shoot to the the left 90 percent of the time.
I sitll think I'm partly to blame because that is where I shoot when I'm not shooting well but with the xdm I did it even after my grouping got much tighter.
I may be wrong but I find it more difficult to shoot well than my Glock 23(40 smith and wesson) and much harder to shoot well than that CZ 75 small frame. That thing is a little snappy but wow, what a shooter.
This XDM gun, imo, needs a bit more effort to shoot well with, espeacially with that factory rear sight.
For those of you who don't have these problems:
A) You're probably more experienced and better shooters and
B) Your rear sight isn't where mine is.

Final opinion: Good gun but the rear sight could be better and easier to move. Man is that thing stuck in there!!!!

Nice Gun!
Phoenix, AZ.

P.S. Is there anyone in my area with the proper tools that can move my rear sight?
Nice Gun! is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M)

Search tags for this page
adjust xdm sights

adjusting xdm sights

djusting its on springfield xp40
how to adjust sights on springfield xdm
how to adjust sights on xdm
how to adjust the sights on a springfield xdm
how to adjust xdm sights
how to sight in a springfield xd .40
sight adjustment xdm
sight in xdm
springfield armory xdm sight adjustment
springfield xd 40 sight adjustment
whut if front site adjustment xdm
xd 40 sight adjustment
xdm 9mm sight adjustment

xdm sight adjustment

Click on a term to search for related topics.